Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Results of Bone Scan

Posted by D. Wade on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011915)

I had a three-phase bone scan done Tuesday. This is after two months of rest, anti-inflammatory medicine, and ultrasound therapy. The bottom of my left foot is better but the back of my heel was getting worse. I couldn't keep a shoe on for long because I couldn't stand anything touching the back of my heel. Even though my foot had been bothering me through the summer, I also had an accident where I jarred my left foot real hard, so I asked for a bone scan to be done. I had asked before, but he didn't think it was necessary. I'm not sure if my doctor really thought it was necessary but the second time I asked, he said okay and wrote the order.

The bone scan results were: trauma with suspected left calcaneal fracture. (I'm typing this right off the report)
In one phase there is asymmetric hyperemia in the left lower extremity in the region of the suspected trauma. There is mild asymmetric soft tissue activity identified in this region on blood pool image. Delayed whole body images during the bone phase demonstrated localized area of increased radiotracer uptake about the posterior aspect of the left calcaneus. Suspicious for occult fracture in this region.
Back at the drs office, regular xrays were taken and compared to ones he had taken the end of August. He said the reason the back of my heel was hurting so bad was that there was a bone spur on the back of my achilles in addition to bone spurs on the bottom of my foot. He said the findings on the bone scan are consistent with a heel spur. Does that sound right? I thought I understood when I was there in the office and I did ask for a copy of the bone scan report, but now I am not so sure after reading it. Do I have a heel fracture, or did I? And how does all this go along with a heel spur? Any help in layman's words would be appreciated. Thank you, Darlene

Re: Results of Bone Scan

DebR on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015112)

Did you ever get good results? I have an injury from running, don't know how, when, or why. When I was running the Disney half, I felt discomfort, then it felt like a vice sqeezing each side of my ankle(just below). I finished the 13 mi. like an idiot. I have been to an Athletic trainer, who dx PF, and an Orthopod who dx AT, I know it is neither. I know my body and am also a RN. It is really strange, because now I cannot walk w/o pain, mostly upon flexion, descending steps, etc. I have swelling on each side and just below the ankle. I'm stumped. Does this sound like your injury?

Re: Results of Bone Scan

DebR on 1/26/00 at 00:00 (015112)

Did you ever get good results? I have an injury from running, don't know how, when, or why. When I was running the Disney half, I felt discomfort, then it felt like a vice sqeezing each side of my ankle(just below). I finished the 13 mi. like an idiot. I have been to an Athletic trainer, who dx PF, and an Orthopod who dx AT, I know it is neither. I know my body and am also a RN. It is really strange, because now I cannot walk w/o pain, mostly upon flexion, descending steps, etc. I have swelling on each side and just below the ankle. I'm stumped. Does this sound like your injury?