Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

over-pronation of left foot

Posted by rekha s on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011933)

I just realized today, after a year of pf suffering, that my left foot rolls inward at each step!!!! I now know why the pf is bothering mainly my left foot! Does anybody know any specific arch support or heel pads that correct pronation????!!!!!

any feedback is appreciated!

Re: over-pronation of left foot

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011940)

I am awaiting my custom orthotics and I was lead to believe that they would help with the pronation along with help for the plantar fasciitis. Hope I did not get the wrong impression. It is my impression that pronation can be helped by proper orthotics. Is there anyone out there that can enlighten us on this?

Renee on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011959)

I was led to believe the same thing but have found no difference in PF with custom orthotics. But we all have to try anything that might help us individually. Good Luck!!

Caryne on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011967)

You all are right! My right foot has over-pronation according to my podiatrist and that's why I've had so much trouble and I'm in that cam-walker now. BOY, I sure hope that those expensive orthodics I'm getting when I can walk again will help and they're worth the $350.

Re: over-pronation of left foot (my right)

Judy T on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011968)

I have over-pronation of my right foot(along with a heel-spur and P.F.) and have custom orthotics since beginning of Aug. They have definetely helped me. Even though I have had them less than 3 mos. I can look down at my right foot in the shower and actually see where they are not 'leaning in' as much as before. I hated my ortho's the first 2 wks. but the more I wore them (also purchased N.B. sneaker with roll bar), the more comfortable they became. I am also taking vioxx (2 mos.) (which has helped alot ...could feel the diffence the next morning when I got out of bed), and last week have started P.T. with a sports therpist. So far that has felt really good....Since I came down with this in the spring I would say that I am 70-80% improved. will keep you posted. Good luck.

Mary Ann on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011970)

After I got my custom orthotics and wore them less than a week, my pf was greatly improved. I no longer had the hard feeling in my heel and also much less swelling. It was unbelievable. I only wish I had orthotics that I could wear in a shoe other than running shoes.

John B on 10/26/99 at 00:00 (012047)

I also have been helped greatly helped by orthotics. I guess it depends on what is causing your over pronation. Is it a problem in the foot or somewhere else? For me, it was just flat feet, so the orthotics help. I find that I can wear them in any style of Rockports, so since Rockports come in so many styles, that pretty much covers any type of shoe. Perhaps womens' shoes are different.
I also had to get over my reluctance to tear out the insoles of a brand new pair of shoes. You really have to take the insoles out for the orthotics to work properly.

Sandy K. on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011940)

I am awaiting my custom orthotics and I was lead to believe that they would help with the pronation along with help for the plantar fasciitis. Hope I did not get the wrong impression. It is my impression that pronation can be helped by proper orthotics. Is there anyone out there that can enlighten us on this?

Renee on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011959)

I was led to believe the same thing but have found no difference in PF with custom orthotics. But we all have to try anything that might help us individually. Good Luck!!

Caryne on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011967)

You all are right! My right foot has over-pronation according to my podiatrist and that's why I've had so much trouble and I'm in that cam-walker now. BOY, I sure hope that those expensive orthodics I'm getting when I can walk again will help and they're worth the $350.

Re: over-pronation of left foot (my right)

Judy T on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011968)

I have over-pronation of my right foot(along with a heel-spur and P.F.) and have custom orthotics since beginning of Aug. They have definetely helped me. Even though I have had them less than 3 mos. I can look down at my right foot in the shower and actually see where they are not 'leaning in' as much as before. I hated my ortho's the first 2 wks. but the more I wore them (also purchased N.B. sneaker with roll bar), the more comfortable they became. I am also taking vioxx (2 mos.) (which has helped alot ...could feel the diffence the next morning when I got out of bed), and last week have started P.T. with a sports therpist. So far that has felt really good....Since I came down with this in the spring I would say that I am 70-80% improved. will keep you posted. Good luck.

Mary Ann on 10/22/99 at 00:00 (011970)

After I got my custom orthotics and wore them less than a week, my pf was greatly improved. I no longer had the hard feeling in my heel and also much less swelling. It was unbelievable. I only wish I had orthotics that I could wear in a shoe other than running shoes.

John B on 10/26/99 at 00:00 (012047)

I also have been helped greatly helped by orthotics. I guess it depends on what is causing your over pronation. Is it a problem in the foot or somewhere else? For me, it was just flat feet, so the orthotics help. I find that I can wear them in any style of Rockports, so since Rockports come in so many styles, that pretty much covers any type of shoe. Perhaps womens' shoes are different.
I also had to get over my reluctance to tear out the insoles of a brand new pair of shoes. You really have to take the insoles out for the orthotics to work properly.