Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Success!

Posted by Nancy D on 10/23/99 at 00:00 (011995)

Hi everyone!
I thought I'd take the opportunity to write and let you know about my living with plantar fasciitis.
About 10 years ago, I started having pain in both heels and was diagnosed with heel spurs. I work in a job where I am on my feet all day on hard floors so as you all know, the pain was unbelievable!
I started seeing a podiatrist who took me through all of the usual procedures; icing, orthotics, cortisone injections etc., without any relief.
I saw a couple of orthopedic surgeons who basically told me to put up with the pain....easier said than done when you are on your feet all day!
Finally, I was referred to a Dr. Thurston in Ottawa, Canada who decided to try 3 shots of cortisone (on different occasions). The first one lasted a couple of months with some relief, the 2nd, about a month, and the 3rd, I had a terrible reaction to it and was in more pain!!!
Finally, he agreed to the surgery, which I had on February 5, 1999. I assume it was what is considered the 'old' surgery as I had a 3 - 3 1/2 inch incision. When I woke from the anestesia, I was in terrible pain as the nurse had forgotten to elevate my foot. My first thoughts were 'oh **** that hurts' and 'I need medication'
They gave me a shot of morphine with no relief and then a shot of demerol without any help either. It wasn't until I left the hospital that I had the opportunity to take one of the percodan tablets that I had been using for the past few months to get through work, that I felt some relief.
2 weeks after the surgery, I had the staples removed and about an hours later, I popped the incision open. The healing was very slow, but within a week or so was able to completely weight bear and walk. I know I pushed it a bit, but couldn't stand using those damn crutches any longer!!!!!
I went back to work after 8 weeks and wondered if I had made a mistake in having the surgery. I still had the pain in my heel and also felt as if my ankle was sprained. Also, the bottom of my arch (where the fascia was cut) pained terribly.
In August, I realized that I was no longer limping! My pain was virtually gone! Hurray!!!!
Since then, most days I have little or no pain. My only bad days are when it rains and then it is sore, but other than that, no problem.
I can now wear REAL shoes and go for walks, even if I have worked that day!
I continue to wear my Birkenstock shoes at work and also at home when my foot is sore. They have been a lifesaver!
Good luck to all of you. Hope you have the success that I have had!