Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by joan on 10/24/99 at 00:00 (012014)

Hi Dan--the first thing to do is to HANG IN THERE! As bad as this can get, it can also get much better (in my experience). It may not happen quickly, but if you can hold out hope for the long term, it may make daily coping a bit easier to take. I've been very down with this all, especially in June/July when I had my worst time (right after I re-tore it doing practically nothing). But now, in October, I have been doing substantially better for a few months. The main thing I am doing for myself right now is religiously wearing my inserts (orthotics) whenever I am on my feet. I also pay attention to my gait pattern, trying as much as possible not to limp, because a lot of my problems were secondary--that is--they were additional foot pain in other areas due to all the limping and abnormal gait pattern. I also take Vioxx for a few days in a row a few days at a time (an anti-inflammatory medicine that seems to help a lot). I am doing all this to protect my foot while I consider a more complete intervention, such as the Ossatron.
As far as the rupturing, I di it twice. Once, I GENTLY kicked a soccer ball (I was playing on the front lawn with a young kid and the distance was just ten feet--we weren't being competitive or anyhting--come to think of it, the fascia ruptured before my foot even touched the ball--it was simply the upswing movement of my foot in the air. The last time, I was walking up the front steps (barefooted) and trying to walk more normally. I am pretty sure that the fascia was weakened partly due to the cortisone shots.
Dan, I don't know your complete story with all this, but I hope you are doing some of the activities suggested on this board to help, within your own specific tolerance limits, of course. I tended to just try to ignore the need to change my habits in the beginning of having this condition, and I think that not paying attention to the need to tone down my activities hurt me a bit. Ever since I have been taking better care of the foot, it has been taking better care of me. However, I do think that for me a re-lengthening of the plantar fascia (as I understand Ossatron to be), followed by true re-healing wilol be the best solution. That loss of flexibility on the bottom of my foot is in my opinion the number one cause of all the difficulties that have followed. It sounds like the cortisone did rupture your pf--by 'rupture' I mean re-tear any portion of it. It's already pretty fragile folowing the initial injury and/or onset of the condition. Protect that fragility at all costs while it heals up more. The feet are the areas of the body that get the worst circulation and therefore the longest healing time--and the older you are, the longer (months, years) it takes to get a good healing. But HANG IN! It CAN get better.