Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions for Birk wearers (like me!)

Posted by Robin B. on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012021)

After more than a year and a half with a wicked case of PF in both feet, I am finally starting to recover a little. I attribute much of the recovery to my non-stop wearing of Birkenstocks. I currently have 6 pairs and am about to buy more. But -- here is a question for those who have had success with Birks.

I used to be a 4-5 mile-per-day walker. I am finally able to walk a wee bit -- half a mile here, a mile there. It's wonderful. But -- because I am not real comfortable walking in my Arizonas, I am been wearing athletic shoes -- mostly Reeboks or NB, that have a good hunk of padding for arch support. Those who wear and like Birks will know what I mean when I say -- padding isn't real arch support. After a mile, I can't wait to get home and slip back into my Birks.

So here's the question for those of you who regularly wear Birkenstocks: Who has tried the Birk blue arch support insert in athletic shoes, and did it give you anything close to the normal support and shape of a Birkenstock sandal or shoe? Of course, I am wondering if I get the blue insert in an athletic shoe, will it approximate the support and shape that I get with a normal Birkenstock so that I can actually walk a bit more?

Re: Questions for Birk wearers (like me!)

john h on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012026)

i wear the 2 piece birkentstock inserts in several pair of shoes including my athletic shoes. i also placed a pair of Gel Heel pads under the inserts to add cushioning. so far this has been the best i have come up with having tried custom orthotics in both the soft and hard variety. i also tried various types of spenco inserts.

Barb M on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012030)

I tried the birks inserts and they just didn't work for me however the people at the Birk store were VERY nice and let me wear them for up to a month to see if they would work. Unfortunately they did not but I returned them(After 3 weeks) for store credit and they applied the money towards a pair of shoes so I don't feel I was out anything. The Birkenstock store can be very helpful and willing to work with you.

john h on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012032)

birkenstock makes at least two types of inserts both of which have a heel cup. one is the 2 piece full length insert with cork on the bottom and foam on the top. the other is a one piece which is designed to be worn with your street/dress/walking shoes ($22 at Just For Feet).

Lynda S. on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012101)

Hi: I own 4 pair of Birkenstocks and they've been a lifesaver for me. I have a pair of the blue Birkenstock inserts that I put in my good quality Adidas or Reebok. They're not the same, believe me. Almost immediately I can tell the difference. So I don't even use them any more. I just stick with the Birks.

john h on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012026)

i wear the 2 piece birkentstock inserts in several pair of shoes including my athletic shoes. i also placed a pair of Gel Heel pads under the inserts to add cushioning. so far this has been the best i have come up with having tried custom orthotics in both the soft and hard variety. i also tried various types of spenco inserts.

Barb M on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012030)

I tried the birks inserts and they just didn't work for me however the people at the Birk store were VERY nice and let me wear them for up to a month to see if they would work. Unfortunately they did not but I returned them(After 3 weeks) for store credit and they applied the money towards a pair of shoes so I don't feel I was out anything. The Birkenstock store can be very helpful and willing to work with you.

john h on 10/25/99 at 00:00 (012032)

birkenstock makes at least two types of inserts both of which have a heel cup. one is the 2 piece full length insert with cork on the bottom and foam on the top. the other is a one piece which is designed to be worn with your street/dress/walking shoes ($22 at Just For Feet).

Lynda S. on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012101)

Hi: I own 4 pair of Birkenstocks and they've been a lifesaver for me. I have a pair of the blue Birkenstock inserts that I put in my good quality Adidas or Reebok. They're not the same, believe me. Almost immediately I can tell the difference. So I don't even use them any more. I just stick with the Birks.