Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vioxx has been a miracle for me.....

Posted by Judy T. on 10/26/99 at 00:00 (012060)

Have been taken Vioxx for approx. 6 wks. and my PF in improved nearly 90% after trying EVERYTHING else. No more pain in the A.M. and can do more than I have been able to do in the last 6 mos. The improvement was noticed the next day. What I need to know is if anyone out there who has been taking this has taken this longer that a couple of months. I am on 25 mg. once a day and have not had any side effects. However, I do not want to stay on this the rest of my life but because I am so much better am hesitating on stopping and having the PF come back full force. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Re: Vioxx has been a miracle for me.....

joan on 10/26/99 at 00:00 (012064)

Hi Judy--I have been taking it on and off since thebeginning of August (I think). I recently discotinued it for about ten days and was noticing an increasing inflammatory response in my body again (I also had a cold, which could have jumpstarted all that ). Anyway, I have been on it again for the past five days and am getting better again. I plan to try three days on/two-three days off and see what happens. I have not experienced a single side effect (except wondrous relief!), but am also concerned about taking any med. long term. I plan to use the Vioxx for relief/general functioning and ultimately I think I will get the orthotripsy and then try to stop any inflammatory response altogether with diet, etc. I also have been eating more nutritiously lately and I really find this helps. I am alos on the 25 mg. Good luck to you!

Janeen T on 10/27/99 at 00:00 (012075)

I have also been taking Vioxx for a couple of months. I'm on 12.5 mg per day. It has helped tremendously, and sometimes if I know I'm going to have a day with a low activity level I can skip taking it all together. I can basically get through a day of 'normal' activities with little or no pain when I'm taking it. When I feel really good, though, I sometimes push it (and take my dogs on long walks), and then I regret it big time the next day. So, it's definitely not a cure, but it helps take the pain away for 'normal' daily activities. I'm like you all, though. I don't want to stay on it forever, since all it really does is 'mask' the symptoms and not cure them. Since I'm getting the real OssaTron done next week, hopefully I won't need the Vioxx much longer!

BettyM on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012097)

I haven't heard of Vioxx. Is it a prescription medication, an anti-inflammatory? Can you tell me more about it.

Martha B. on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012099)

Vioxx is a prescription antiinflam that worked wonders for me the 3 weeks I took it before I had the ossatron done.I read about it on this board and was sceptical after having taken 3 other antiinflams with absolutely no results.Vioxx was great, but remember it doesn't fix the problem-just eases the discomfort.It is the competitor of celebrex which did nothing for me.

joan on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012106)

vioxx is made by merck. celebrex is made by searles, i think. both are cox-2 inhibitors, which is a new type of pharmacological agent that is supposed to be less upsetting to the gastrointestinal system than other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. i have taken vioxx for a few months with no stomach troubles. while it is not a cure, it has provided a nice break from the constant agony.

BettyM on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012137)

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if Vioxx is covered by medical insurance that covers prescriptions? When my podiatrist prescribed Celebrex it cost me $95.00 and it didn't do anything at all! My Blue Cross medical plan didn't cover it so I got stuck paying $95.00 for something that was of no value to me.

HAROLD H. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012139)

I've had a miserable case of PF since April and tried everything in the book short of surgery to no avail. Last week my podiatrist gave me Celebrex (200mg/day) and it has worked wonders toward reducing pain in my left heel. I only hope the pain will be gone when I stop with the Celebrex which, incidently, has left me with no side effects.

joan on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012170)

i've had tremendous pain-relief results with vioxx--however, the pain does come back when i discontinue it. also, it can flare if i set off the inflammatory response by overdoing things. i don't want to discourage you but just to let you know my experience. i think that being good to your feet is still necessary. good luck.

Judy T on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012244)

My Health Insur. covers all but a $5.00 co-pay. (I have PCS). My pharmicist also told me that the dose I am now taking is so small and they have found it does NOT cause any stomach problems that I could stay on this for the rest of my life. I have been on 25 mg. since beginning of Aug. and have noticed such a drastic improvement that I will stay on this forever if need be. I don't want to but I do not want to experience all that pain again. Also, starting today I am decreasing my does to 12.5. Hopefully that will be enough to stay almost pain free....if not.....its back up to 25 mg. Good luck.

joan on 10/26/99 at 00:00 (012064)

Hi Judy--I have been taking it on and off since thebeginning of August (I think). I recently discotinued it for about ten days and was noticing an increasing inflammatory response in my body again (I also had a cold, which could have jumpstarted all that ). Anyway, I have been on it again for the past five days and am getting better again. I plan to try three days on/two-three days off and see what happens. I have not experienced a single side effect (except wondrous relief!), but am also concerned about taking any med. long term. I plan to use the Vioxx for relief/general functioning and ultimately I think I will get the orthotripsy and then try to stop any inflammatory response altogether with diet, etc. I also have been eating more nutritiously lately and I really find this helps. I am alos on the 25 mg. Good luck to you!

Janeen T on 10/27/99 at 00:00 (012075)

I have also been taking Vioxx for a couple of months. I'm on 12.5 mg per day. It has helped tremendously, and sometimes if I know I'm going to have a day with a low activity level I can skip taking it all together. I can basically get through a day of 'normal' activities with little or no pain when I'm taking it. When I feel really good, though, I sometimes push it (and take my dogs on long walks), and then I regret it big time the next day. So, it's definitely not a cure, but it helps take the pain away for 'normal' daily activities. I'm like you all, though. I don't want to stay on it forever, since all it really does is 'mask' the symptoms and not cure them. Since I'm getting the real OssaTron done next week, hopefully I won't need the Vioxx much longer!

BettyM on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012097)

I haven't heard of Vioxx. Is it a prescription medication, an anti-inflammatory? Can you tell me more about it.

Martha B. on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012099)

Vioxx is a prescription antiinflam that worked wonders for me the 3 weeks I took it before I had the ossatron done.I read about it on this board and was sceptical after having taken 3 other antiinflams with absolutely no results.Vioxx was great, but remember it doesn't fix the problem-just eases the discomfort.It is the competitor of celebrex which did nothing for me.

joan on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012106)

vioxx is made by merck. celebrex is made by searles, i think. both are cox-2 inhibitors, which is a new type of pharmacological agent that is supposed to be less upsetting to the gastrointestinal system than other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. i have taken vioxx for a few months with no stomach troubles. while it is not a cure, it has provided a nice break from the constant agony.

BettyM on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012137)

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if Vioxx is covered by medical insurance that covers prescriptions? When my podiatrist prescribed Celebrex it cost me $95.00 and it didn't do anything at all! My Blue Cross medical plan didn't cover it so I got stuck paying $95.00 for something that was of no value to me.

HAROLD H. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012139)

I've had a miserable case of PF since April and tried everything in the book short of surgery to no avail. Last week my podiatrist gave me Celebrex (200mg/day) and it has worked wonders toward reducing pain in my left heel. I only hope the pain will be gone when I stop with the Celebrex which, incidently, has left me with no side effects.

joan on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012170)

i've had tremendous pain-relief results with vioxx--however, the pain does come back when i discontinue it. also, it can flare if i set off the inflammatory response by overdoing things. i don't want to discourage you but just to let you know my experience. i think that being good to your feet is still necessary. good luck.

Judy T on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012244)

My Health Insur. covers all but a $5.00 co-pay. (I have PCS). My pharmicist also told me that the dose I am now taking is so small and they have found it does NOT cause any stomach problems that I could stay on this for the rest of my life. I have been on 25 mg. since beginning of Aug. and have noticed such a drastic improvement that I will stay on this forever if need be. I don't want to but I do not want to experience all that pain again. Also, starting today I am decreasing my does to 12.5. Hopefully that will be enough to stay almost pain free....if not.....its back up to 25 mg. Good luck.