Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Some Birks seem different than others.

Posted by Robin B. on 10/27/99 at 00:00 (012082)

John, I haven't bought Birks through the site you mentioned. But I HAVE bought discounted Birks through other sites on the Internet. I have also bought full-price Birks and on-sale Birks through a local Birkenstock store.

This is only my experience, but I thought I would share it. The Birkenstocks I have bought discounted over the Internet have, for some unknown reason, worn down considerably faster than the Birks I bought at the Birkenstock store. Maybe I wore them more -- I don't really know. I try to swap the 6 pairs I have around pretty much so they all get worn (and rested), but obviously, I don't really keep track.

But I can definitely say that I am about to repair extensively a pair of Arizona's that I purchased over the 'Net in January; they need new soles and they may need new cork as well. They have indeed served me well, but I do take real good care of them with cork renewer and leather spray -- and they still seemed to wear faster than the ones I bought in the Birk store.

Actually, I'm headed for the Birkenstock store next week -- I'm going to see what they have to say about it. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

john a on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012093)

Thanks for the warning. If there are indeed some 'Birk-alikes' made with cheaper materials, but being sold under the Birkenstock brand name, I'm sure Birkenstock would like to know about it. Or perhaps they themselves make two different 'grades' of shoes. Other possibilities are that you just happened to buy a shoe made with a 'bad' batch of material, or one that was stored before sale in an adverse environment, or, as you said, your impression of quicker wear was in error. I'd be interested to know what they have to say.

john a on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012093)

Thanks for the warning. If there are indeed some 'Birk-alikes' made with cheaper materials, but being sold under the Birkenstock brand name, I'm sure Birkenstock would like to know about it. Or perhaps they themselves make two different 'grades' of shoes. Other possibilities are that you just happened to buy a shoe made with a 'bad' batch of material, or one that was stored before sale in an adverse environment, or, as you said, your impression of quicker wear was in error. I'd be interested to know what they have to say.