Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ultrasound results not good

Posted by Doug P on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012096)

I went to see a doctor yesterday who administers the ultrasound test to dectect inflammation in the plantar fascia. He checked both feet and said they were basically normal. A person with plantar fascitis should have a thickening in the plantar fascia where it connects to the heelbone. He said normal thickness is about 3 or 4 mm. A person with inflammation would have a thickness of around 6 or 7 mm or even higher. Mine was normal -- around 3.5 mm. So what does this mean? Do I even have plantar fascitis? Have other people experienced this?

Re: Ultrasound results not good

Trish on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012110)

Maybe you have Fat Pad Syndrome.

jlcox on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012115)

I have been diagnosed with PF for 5 years. I was scheduled to have Ossatron in toronto but was turned down after my ultrasounds revealed my PF thicknesses were completely normal. I went up to Toronto anyway just to see if Dr. Galea had any ideas for treatment. He diagnosed me as having adhesions in various muscles in my lower legs and in the PF. He recommended Active Release Therapy, which was done by a chiropractor in his office. Its very painful work, which essentially involves heavy duty message to break up the adhesions. I have had eight treatments so far and have noticed some improvement. Additionally I'm doing strengthening excercises for my ankles as they have become very unstable due to the long-standing nature of my condition/guarded gait. Unfortunately, the guy who does the ART is taking a sabatical so I'm seeing another chiro in Sarnia, Ont.

I recommend ART. Its noninvasive and an alternative to surgery. If you're interested in ART call the office of Dr. Leahy (he founded the technique) at 719-473-7000. He has a list of all the certified ART practitioners in US and Canada.

andreab on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012121)

adhesions? How did they know this? can they see them on an x-ray or ultrasound? did you have traditional PF symptoms?

jlcox on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012127)

Dr. Galea felt the adhesions on physical examination.They are harder and not as pliable as healthy muscle tissue. I believe they can also be seen on an MRI, but don't quote me on that. The adhesions in my calves and PF feel knotty and are painful when pressed on. Evidently, muscle tissue or fascia that becomes an adhesion actually changes structure. The cellular fibers no longer run parallel with each other but wind up crossing and tangling with each other. Also a certain amount of devascularization takes place with this condition, which cuts down the blood supply/healing to the area. The upshot is that the muscle doesn't contract/extend properly and, like a dominoe effect, other muscles compensate, which makes them sore.

My symptoms have mostly been atypical for PF. Pain is worse the longer I'm on my feet. Don't have pain first thing in the morning. Never had spurs. Pain is mostly on the bottom of feet-whole foot, not just the heel. If I'm on my feet too long I have pain on the insides of my calves. Pain is so bad I have to use a scooter to get around at work.

I think Scott may have provided info on adhesions. I remember some folks were talking about them awhile back. Do a search if you need more info. Good Luck with your condition. Also, a good sports Doc can determine if you have adhesions. I recommend finding one who works with professional/elite atheletes.

Doug P on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012160)

Yes!! You sound very much like me!! All those symptoms match mine. Additionally, a few message therapists have said that my plantar fascia on both feet feels very stiff. Let me ask you a few other symptoms questions -- if you do the calf stretch, does that help at all? It doesn't with me, and I can bend my leg forward quite a ways before I feel a stretch, unlike most pf sufferers who are very stiff. What causes these adhesions? How much do you think has the ART helped? I would like to talk to you directly. If you would, email me at my address above with your phone number and I'll call you. I think you and I are very similar

Trish on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012110)

Maybe you have Fat Pad Syndrome.

jlcox on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012115)

I have been diagnosed with PF for 5 years. I was scheduled to have Ossatron in toronto but was turned down after my ultrasounds revealed my PF thicknesses were completely normal. I went up to Toronto anyway just to see if Dr. Galea had any ideas for treatment. He diagnosed me as having adhesions in various muscles in my lower legs and in the PF. He recommended Active Release Therapy, which was done by a chiropractor in his office. Its very painful work, which essentially involves heavy duty message to break up the adhesions. I have had eight treatments so far and have noticed some improvement. Additionally I'm doing strengthening excercises for my ankles as they have become very unstable due to the long-standing nature of my condition/guarded gait. Unfortunately, the guy who does the ART is taking a sabatical so I'm seeing another chiro in Sarnia, Ont.

I recommend ART. Its noninvasive and an alternative to surgery. If you're interested in ART call the office of Dr. Leahy (he founded the technique) at 719-473-7000. He has a list of all the certified ART practitioners in US and Canada.

andreab on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012121)

adhesions? How did they know this? can they see them on an x-ray or ultrasound? did you have traditional PF symptoms?

jlcox on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012127)

Dr. Galea felt the adhesions on physical examination.They are harder and not as pliable as healthy muscle tissue. I believe they can also be seen on an MRI, but don't quote me on that. The adhesions in my calves and PF feel knotty and are painful when pressed on. Evidently, muscle tissue or fascia that becomes an adhesion actually changes structure. The cellular fibers no longer run parallel with each other but wind up crossing and tangling with each other. Also a certain amount of devascularization takes place with this condition, which cuts down the blood supply/healing to the area. The upshot is that the muscle doesn't contract/extend properly and, like a dominoe effect, other muscles compensate, which makes them sore.

My symptoms have mostly been atypical for PF. Pain is worse the longer I'm on my feet. Don't have pain first thing in the morning. Never had spurs. Pain is mostly on the bottom of feet-whole foot, not just the heel. If I'm on my feet too long I have pain on the insides of my calves. Pain is so bad I have to use a scooter to get around at work.

I think Scott may have provided info on adhesions. I remember some folks were talking about them awhile back. Do a search if you need more info. Good Luck with your condition. Also, a good sports Doc can determine if you have adhesions. I recommend finding one who works with professional/elite atheletes.

Doug P on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012160)

Yes!! You sound very much like me!! All those symptoms match mine. Additionally, a few message therapists have said that my plantar fascia on both feet feels very stiff. Let me ask you a few other symptoms questions -- if you do the calf stretch, does that help at all? It doesn't with me, and I can bend my leg forward quite a ways before I feel a stretch, unlike most pf sufferers who are very stiff. What causes these adhesions? How much do you think has the ART helped? I would like to talk to you directly. If you would, email me at my address above with your phone number and I'll call you. I think you and I are very similar