Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help-- do my symptoms match your cure?

Posted by alan k. on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012105)

I am another sufferer of PF. I noticed very mild discomfort in my feet while doing standing poses in yoga. Then I got mild flu symptoms and my feet were sore. The flu went but the feet didn't. I went to the doctor but he didn't even mention PF to me. If he had I would have been all over the net and probably even found this site. But it doesn't take much special knwledge to know how to prevent PF!! Now, as you all know, it is too late. Only 5 months so far. No progress. I can get about the house and I can walk 100 yards or so without much pain, but at the end of the day, and if I try anything like going to the store, or getting caught on my feet in a conversation, it's like being a brand new PF baby all over again. My pain isn't very site specific-- it hurts and burns all over, least of all, actually, in the arch, but everywhere else on the bottom of my foot. I have tried orthotics, ultrasound(helped a little, I think), icing, and stretching, and magnets, straussbourg sock, but to no avail. Taping doesn't make any difference with me whatsoever, which is why I wonder if I really have PF. I'm not sure my pain is like other peoples that way, but I know I don't have that carpel like thing because I have no numbness. Does anyone have symptoms like mine ( I have both feet), got noticiably worse after a mild flu, or have any recommendations? Psychically I am doing ok, except I miss free standing, vigourous yoga which was ver yimportant to me.
I don't see any end to this, and the message board here is quite frightening and seems to confirm my fear that this will be with me always. I'm only 35 and not overwieght. Any help is loved.

best to all of you, alan

Re: help-- do my symptoms match your cure?

Doug P on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012108)

Alan -- I have symptoms similar to yours -- pain is not specific to the heel like most people and the pain is more diffuse across the bottom of the feet. I too have it in both feet. Read my post before this about the ultrasound which seemed to show I don't have PF. So what is it? I don't have the numbness or tingling that people get if it is an entraped nerve, which you don't seem to have either. Do you have high arches? I do. Do you have the pain that is worse in the morning like many people? I don't. Please email me and we can compare notes. I would like to figure out which people on this board have symptoms similar to ours because I think the treatment could be entirely different from those who have the more 'classic' symptoms of PF.

wendyn on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012120)

I'm not a doctor - and it certainly won't be a diagnosis for you - but I think I'm one of the few people that have had both PF and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome at separate times, so I'm 'painfully' aware of the differences with each. Everyone experiences pain differently - and especially with TTS, the pain seems to change from day to day.

In the early stages of TTS - I did NOT have any numbness or tingling - I had sensations in my feet that I almost cannot describe - but it would be like someone tying a big rubber band around my ankle and sometimes it felt like my feet might pop. I still get burning and sensations of intense heat all over my feet usually by the end of the day. The pain varied from being my whole foot - to outer ankle and baby toe, it did not actually localize to the inner ankle Tarsal Tunnel area until several months later.

The pain is different from PF most noticeably that it is better in the morning - and gets worse as the day progesses. It does not feel as though your feet are ripping apart when you've been sitting for a while like it does with PF. Standing is almost worse than walking.

Nerve conduction tests are often inconclusive with TTS but either of you may want to give it a try to see if it gives the doctors any more clues. It is uncomfortable but not painful - kind of feels like it would to stick your toe in a light socket (but not that bad). Good luck to both of you - keep reading and keep trying to make things better on your own, with or without an official diagnosis.

Whether it's PF or TTS or something else - a lot of the treatment is the same...rest, ice, anti-inflammitories etc. Best to both of you....

Rosalind on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012141)

My symptoms with PF and TTS were so wierd and awful combined, I finally resorted to telling people it felt like invasion of the body snatchers. 'It' was so indescribable and irrational I wouldn't have been surpised at all to find some creature living inside of me. Maybe I'll go as the plantar fascia monster for Halloween. I'm just not sure what it would look like...

Doug P on 10/28/99 at 00:00 (012108)

Alan -- I have symptoms similar to yours -- pain is not specific to the heel like most people and the pain is more diffuse across the bottom of the feet. I too have it in both feet. Read my post before this about the ultrasound which seemed to show I don't have PF. So what is it? I don't have the numbness or tingling that people get if it is an entraped nerve, which you don't seem to have either. Do you have high arches? I do. Do you have the pain that is worse in the morning like many people? I don't. Please email me and we can compare notes. I would like to figure out which people on this board have symptoms similar to ours because I think the treatment could be entirely different from those who have the more 'classic' symptoms of PF.

wendyn on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012120)

I'm not a doctor - and it certainly won't be a diagnosis for you - but I think I'm one of the few people that have had both PF and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome at separate times, so I'm 'painfully' aware of the differences with each. Everyone experiences pain differently - and especially with TTS, the pain seems to change from day to day.

In the early stages of TTS - I did NOT have any numbness or tingling - I had sensations in my feet that I almost cannot describe - but it would be like someone tying a big rubber band around my ankle and sometimes it felt like my feet might pop. I still get burning and sensations of intense heat all over my feet usually by the end of the day. The pain varied from being my whole foot - to outer ankle and baby toe, it did not actually localize to the inner ankle Tarsal Tunnel area until several months later.

The pain is different from PF most noticeably that it is better in the morning - and gets worse as the day progesses. It does not feel as though your feet are ripping apart when you've been sitting for a while like it does with PF. Standing is almost worse than walking.

Nerve conduction tests are often inconclusive with TTS but either of you may want to give it a try to see if it gives the doctors any more clues. It is uncomfortable but not painful - kind of feels like it would to stick your toe in a light socket (but not that bad). Good luck to both of you - keep reading and keep trying to make things better on your own, with or without an official diagnosis.

Whether it's PF or TTS or something else - a lot of the treatment is the same...rest, ice, anti-inflammitories etc. Best to both of you....

Rosalind on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012141)

My symptoms with PF and TTS were so wierd and awful combined, I finally resorted to telling people it felt like invasion of the body snatchers. 'It' was so indescribable and irrational I wouldn't have been surpised at all to find some creature living inside of me. Maybe I'll go as the plantar fascia monster for Halloween. I'm just not sure what it would look like...