Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Need Advice on Working with PF

Posted by Becky R. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012113)

I would like to hear of any other stories related to working (or not working) with severe pf. I work as a nurse and the constant standing and walking on my feet has been unbearable. I was diagnosed in August and have had the injections, antiinflammatories, etc. I have been to 3 doctors. One said - grin and bear it. The other two have said I have to be off my feet until this acute phase ends and my othotics are ready. The doctor I am seeing now prescribed prednisone, taping with soft cast, off my feet for 3-4 weeks and othotics and surgery at the last resort. Does this sound reasonable? My employer doesn't like it and of course I don't either with no pay for 4 weeks (I don't have any sick time left). Anyone else with a similar story? Just need the support of others who understand this problem.

Becky

Re: I Need Advice on Working with PF

Annette on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012117)

Have you tried glucosamine and chondroitin, MSM, bromelin or pancreatin? These are not quick fixes but may help in the long run.
All of these have helped me a lot. I am a school librarian and am on my feet all day to. I take 2 pairs of shoes to work. I have no dress code so can wear whatever I want. I try for sensibble supportive flat shoes. I wear one orthotic type instert with one pair of shes until late morning until they start to hurt. By about lunch time or before I change inserts to something softer or put on A soft birkenstock type sandal. In cold weather I wear them with socks or if I have dress on with tights. these type of sandal are all the rage up here and people wear them year round. I live in northern Wisconsin so I know what cold and snow are. Until you get your custom orthotics ( which made my pain worse)
try changing shoes and inserts a few times a day. It may help.

Becky R. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012144)

Annette,
What exactly is a soft type Birkenstock and where can you get them? Thanks for the information and response.

Becky in Ohio

Annette on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012161)

They are not a Birkenstock but a sandal that has a footbed shaped similar to the Birk only softer and not hard. The do provide some support. I like the Birk footbed but it is too hard for me. I have very little fat pad on the botom of my foot and cannot tolerate a hard footbed. These are by Addidas and I think I paid aobut $20 for them. You might find them cheaper on sale this time of year. K-Mart might still ahve some.

Dan W on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012178)

Dear Becky, The system will eat you up and spit you out. Take it from one who knows. I was a wholesale flower salesman for fifteen years, working twelve hour days on hard concrete floors. Walking, standing, running to wait on walk in customers. Everyday my pain got worse, everytime I would ask help from my hmo doctor he would give me the same song and dance ie anti-inflamatories, stretching. I did these things religiously, to no avail. I finally was left with no other choice but to get cortisone shots which after the second one I fractured my foot at work just by bending over to pick up something off the floor. Then they made me walk on it for four months while they tried various snake oil treatments on me. Finally they found the fracture but it was to late, I had been in so much pain even in a cast for three weeks that my doctor said that I needed to be off my foot entirely for three months. Well, needless to say my boss couldnt deal with that so he fired me, two days after I declared it to be a workers compensation injury, on christmas eve of last year. I dont want to alarm you but be aware that no one cares about anyting except their bottom line, even if they have loved your work in the past. An injured worker is an injured worker. Protect yourself, and love your body above all else or you might find youve sacrificed it for little more than a living wage.

Annette on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012117)

Have you tried glucosamine and chondroitin, MSM, bromelin or pancreatin? These are not quick fixes but may help in the long run.
All of these have helped me a lot. I am a school librarian and am on my feet all day to. I take 2 pairs of shoes to work. I have no dress code so can wear whatever I want. I try for sensibble supportive flat shoes. I wear one orthotic type instert with one pair of shes until late morning until they start to hurt. By about lunch time or before I change inserts to something softer or put on A soft birkenstock type sandal. In cold weather I wear them with socks or if I have dress on with tights. these type of sandal are all the rage up here and people wear them year round. I live in northern Wisconsin so I know what cold and snow are. Until you get your custom orthotics ( which made my pain worse)
try changing shoes and inserts a few times a day. It may help.

Becky R. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012144)

Annette,
What exactly is a soft type Birkenstock and where can you get them? Thanks for the information and response.

Becky in Ohio

Annette on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012161)

They are not a Birkenstock but a sandal that has a footbed shaped similar to the Birk only softer and not hard. The do provide some support. I like the Birk footbed but it is too hard for me. I have very little fat pad on the botom of my foot and cannot tolerate a hard footbed. These are by Addidas and I think I paid aobut $20 for them. You might find them cheaper on sale this time of year. K-Mart might still ahve some.

Dan W on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012178)

Dear Becky, The system will eat you up and spit you out. Take it from one who knows. I was a wholesale flower salesman for fifteen years, working twelve hour days on hard concrete floors. Walking, standing, running to wait on walk in customers. Everyday my pain got worse, everytime I would ask help from my hmo doctor he would give me the same song and dance ie anti-inflamatories, stretching. I did these things religiously, to no avail. I finally was left with no other choice but to get cortisone shots which after the second one I fractured my foot at work just by bending over to pick up something off the floor. Then they made me walk on it for four months while they tried various snake oil treatments on me. Finally they found the fracture but it was to late, I had been in so much pain even in a cast for three weeks that my doctor said that I needed to be off my foot entirely for three months. Well, needless to say my boss couldnt deal with that so he fired me, two days after I declared it to be a workers compensation injury, on christmas eve of last year. I dont want to alarm you but be aware that no one cares about anyting except their bottom line, even if they have loved your work in the past. An injured worker is an injured worker. Protect yourself, and love your body above all else or you might find youve sacrificed it for little more than a living wage.