Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis Beginner

Posted by Libby on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012142)

I was diagnosed last week as having Plantar Fasciitis. I started having tingling burning sensations on the outside of my foot and heel pain in the spring. I am on anti-inflammatories and a podiatrist is keeping my foot taped for 3 weeks. I have cut out all high and low impact exercises for the time being. I ice my foot and stretch in the mornings. The podiatrist seems to think 3 weeks is all that it will take to heal me. But I don't feel very optimistic. Has anyone had good luck like that that quickly? All I hear are bad stories and I feel discouraged already. I love to exercise and jog but have given up jogging now. If after 3 weeks the pain is still there, do you have any suggestions about the next step I should try? The podiatrist mentioned shots, casts and orthodics. Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way! Libby

Re: Plantar Fasciitis Beginner

Becky R. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012147)

Libby,
I doubt you're going to heal in 3 weeks, but good luck to you. I have done a lot of research and seems like it may take up to 6 months and that is if you get the right treatment. I am in a soft cast for 4 weeks and well be fitted for othotics next week. I had the injections without success - I have also read that you shouldn't have more that 1-3 of those or you could get permanent damage. Good luck to you.

Becky in Ohio

Bea K on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012148)

The best thing you can do for yourself is to carefully read the message board. There is a wealth of info here/ Three weeks is a a very unrealistic number. Keep in mind that Cortisone is dangerous and I would go to another doctorif he thinks 3 weeks is going to do it he has very little experience with this. I don't want to depress you but it is not easy and you should be very careful about the excercise you do.

rekha s on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012149)

3 weeks may be too early for healing...i think if it is caught in the early stages, it should heal within 6-8 weeks. But you will have to give up weight bearing excercises for the time being. That is VERY important...DO NOT, I REPEAT: DO NOT RUN OR EXERCISE THRU THE PAIN, IT WILL MAKE THE PROBLEM CHRONIC. I did just that, and am paying for it dearly. I ignored my foot pain, thinking it would resolve itself.

So do all the doctor told you, and be optimistic, if pain is still there after 3 weeks, I would try over the counter inserts like Spenco..AND a heel cushion-also wear good athletic sneakers at all times....

theoretically 90% of pf sufferers get better in 6-8 weeks, although I think 90% it too generous.

Dan W on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012164)

Dear Libby, I got the shots and fractured a bone, possibly rupturing my fasciia. The shots are dangerous. I dont mean to scare you but I would hate to see you do more damage to your feet. All this damage occured ten days after my second injection, and there is no going back. So, complete bed rest, anti-inflamatorys, stretching, vitamins and massaging it. But no weight bearing exercises, and if I had known the damage that the injections would do, none of those either! Your friend in constant pain.

Jack W. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012188)

See my results under Blue Bootie posting. This is a no shot no pills possibility. My insurance paid for the boot as well.

Becky R. on 10/29/99 at 00:00 (012147)

Libby,
I doubt you're going to heal in 3 weeks, but good luck to you. I have done a lot of research and seems like it may take up to 6 months and that is if you get the right treatment. I am in a soft cast for 4 weeks and well be fitted for othotics next week. I had the injections without success - I have also read that you shouldn't have more that 1-3 of those or you could get permanent damage. Good luck to you.

Becky in Ohio

Bea K on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012148)

The best thing you can do for yourself is to carefully read the message board. There is a wealth of info here/ Three weeks is a a very unrealistic number. Keep in mind that Cortisone is dangerous and I would go to another doctorif he thinks 3 weeks is going to do it he has very little experience with this. I don't want to depress you but it is not easy and you should be very careful about the excercise you do.

rekha s on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012149)

3 weeks may be too early for healing...i think if it is caught in the early stages, it should heal within 6-8 weeks. But you will have to give up weight bearing excercises for the time being. That is VERY important...DO NOT, I REPEAT: DO NOT RUN OR EXERCISE THRU THE PAIN, IT WILL MAKE THE PROBLEM CHRONIC. I did just that, and am paying for it dearly. I ignored my foot pain, thinking it would resolve itself.

So do all the doctor told you, and be optimistic, if pain is still there after 3 weeks, I would try over the counter inserts like Spenco..AND a heel cushion-also wear good athletic sneakers at all times....

theoretically 90% of pf sufferers get better in 6-8 weeks, although I think 90% it too generous.

Dan W on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012164)

Dear Libby, I got the shots and fractured a bone, possibly rupturing my fasciia. The shots are dangerous. I dont mean to scare you but I would hate to see you do more damage to your feet. All this damage occured ten days after my second injection, and there is no going back. So, complete bed rest, anti-inflamatorys, stretching, vitamins and massaging it. But no weight bearing exercises, and if I had known the damage that the injections would do, none of those either! Your friend in constant pain.

Jack W. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012188)

See my results under Blue Bootie posting. This is a no shot no pills possibility. My insurance paid for the boot as well.