Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any Encouraging News?

Posted by Libby on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012169)

Has anybody had any success being healed of PF? I've read a lot of sad/painful stories and was wondering if there are any success stories. Has anyone been healed and remained that way for a long period of time? I was crying today reading all the sad stories. I never thought when I turned 40 this year that it would become painful to walk. I now wish I had never taken up jogging last year. I've always done aerobics in my living room but for some crazy reason, I decided to take up jogging and now I may have to give it all up. I now wish that I had not taken my feet for granted! Thanks, Libby

Re: Any Encouraging News?

Mary Ann S on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012175)

There are many who are healed from the PF. A lot of them don't return to this board but occassionally someone will post their story. The same treatment doesn't work for everyone.

I had pf since August 1998. It started after I started walking and poor shoes I am sure. I tried many things, night splint, anti-inflammatory meds, iceing, rest, stretching, iontopheresis treatment. I havent tried cortisone shots or casting etc, many of the vitamines suggested here. What has helped me is custom orthotics. They are much larger than I had expected but after only a few days my pain was 80-90% better. I can only wear them in tennis shoes, and I am tired of that but I guess it is better than the pain.

My suggestion would be to try any and everything until you find something that helps. This is so miserable but don't let it get you down. It is an amazing feeling not to always be thinking about my foot. Take care.

Robin B. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012180)

Mary Ann is right -- most of the 'success stories' leave the board, leaving only us not-so-successful ones here.

But there IS hope and encouraging news. I have had PF since April 1998. I have been in the kind of pain people describe here, where you cry on your way back to the car, where you use a cane, where you contemplate using one of those motorized scooters in the grocery store or Walmart.

I am NOT cured, but I am sufficiently better than my feet are not all I think about. I don't yet walk for exercise, but I can do all my daily errands and chores without having to figure every last action or activity around my feet.

What has worked for me is Birkenstocks all the time, Bromelain (1800 gdu's a day), glucosamine (1500 mg a day) only slight stretching, aerobic activity every day (bike) and a diet that eliminates flour, wheat, refined sugar and caffeine. I miss bread -- but I would sure rather walk around the mall or be able to park my car at the far end of a parking lot without pain.

The point is, and it has been made hundreds of times on this board, you gotta' try a whole combination of treatment until you find something that works for you.

Re: Any Encouraging News?-- question about diet...

alan k. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012184)

I have a question about diet, since I can't track down the earlier discussions everyone seems to have had about diet and low-carb. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who knows about diet.

I am interested in your diet. I have foot pain for five months and treated with phys therapy, orthotics, rest, stretching, ice, and anti-inflammatories. No or little progress. I was wondering about your diet. Is it just to lose wieght, or are there other reasons to avoid those foods? Caffiene couldn't be about weight, I know, so it because it is a nerve irritant (like chocolate, which is worse)? What about the other things in your diet-- do they have specific benefits, or is this just a low-carb thing where you eat bacon and eggs all the time? I am thinking of trying that since I am gaining wieght, like everyone else, since getting this pain. Does the diet make your mind fuzzy, tired, or otherwise changed in anyway?

best, alan

Nancy M on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012208)

Libby, I'm here to give some encouragement. My pain first started in Spetember/October 1997. I would have pain in my left heel when I first got out of bed or got up after sitting for a while. I went to my primary care physician and took anti-flammatories and one cortisone shot. He then referred me to a podiatrist whom I now call 'my friendly foot doctor'. After no more than three more cortisone shots, taping, custom made orthodics and physical therapy I went ahead and had EPF surgery on my left foot in September 1998 and again in March 1999 on my right foot. I am happy to say that I'm 100% pain free in both my heels. I've also had neuroma's (tumor in nerve) removed, 2 in the left foot and 1 in the right foot. I'm also happy to say that I am also 100% pain free from those surgeries. My problem now is inflammation of a muscle in my left foot and I'm on Celebrex 200mg for that. It seems to be helping because if I forget to take one in the morning I have pain by the end of the day.

I consider myself a 'success story'. I still read the message board about twice a week and write of my success every once in a while.

Nancy in AZ

Gordon on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012214)

I started with this thing in June of 97 and was hit very bad in both feet. Crawled for over a year, tried everything and then came up with a solution that allows me to be as active as I normally was. The solution though is not simple. EVeryday I exercsise, stretch, massage, take vitamins, stay on a strict diet and ice (only ice after heavy ativity like soccer nowdays) and I feel I am still improving. The first two years went up and down.
THe diet and aerobic exercise is the key that turned it all around. I ellminated all food that contain processed sugar or wheat, bread items, did the yeast killer diet for several months, eat a lot of raw peanuts, raw sesame seeds, raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, psyllium seeds, flak seed (I add all this to my oatmeal every morning) lots of salmon, salad (lime juice for dressing) organic vegetables etc. You don't have to eat just meat to be on a limited carb diet.

DAily exercise helps a lot. Rest gives temp relief but doesn't cure.
Another thing that seems to help is Jarro-Dophilus by probiotics. It sets your digetive system straight.

I used to think I was a heavy built person and that is just the way I was. But now I am very lean from this diet and exercise and have relatives who thought that they were just built heavy do the same.
The diet wasn't to loose weight but it sure worked.

Do a search on other stuff (under gordon)I've wrote to see my story.

Gordon on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012215)

Whoops. June 96 is when my fun started

Re: Any Encouraging News? - Yes

AlanS on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012224)

Libby,
I ruptured my PF during a marathon race on May 23rd of this year. I also saw the stories on this board, and became very discouraged. Here is my story. On May 24th, my arch was deep purple, and it was hard to walk on it. After a few weeks of icing it, it was ok to walk on, but I couldn't run even 50 yards without a lot of pain, so of course I didn't run. I was able to do spinning classes though without any pain. I went to the podiatrist about 6 weeks after the injury, and he confirmed the PF had been ruptured. I explained I was very anxious to get back to running 40 miles a week. He taped up my foot and told me try running; to my astonishment, I ran a mile without any pain. So next we got full length orthotics ($$$), and with them I didn't need to tape my foot to run every day. I also took lots of ibuprofen for a few weeks, and I still continue to ice as much as possible. Since the end of July, I've averaged running 52 miles a week, run farther than 20 miles on 4 occasions, and ran the Chicago Marathon (26.2 miles) last weekend in my fastest time ever (fast enough to qualify to run the Boston Marathon in 2000) with no pain or concern for my foot. I'm 48 years old. I know lots of others on this board have tried this same approach but to no avail. I've also heard of many runners that have similar recovery stories to mine, so I know my recovery is by no means unique. Good luck with your recovery Libby; there are successes out there.

Kara M on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012225)

I'm also on the road to recovery, not quite there yet, but can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I started to have Pf in the spring of 1996, I was 21. It's been on and off since then, becoming more and more of a problem. On a hiking semster in the fall of 96, I got a stress fracure in my right femur neck; my therapist says it was probably due to my poor walking mechanics (not to mention the 70 pound pack on my back).
In the beginning of this summer, I was ready to give up and put myself in a wheelchair. I have a active job of ski instructing in the winter and art teacher in the summers.
These things have helped me since then:
This board and a wonderful massage therapist, Birkenstocks all the time, Taping feet, stretching every day, constant awareness of my bad posture and trying to correct it i.e. suck in gut, no overpronation, get rid of knock knees, put shoulders back.
I've learned that my pf is caused mostly by me and the way I hold myself and that gravity has a way of pulling your body out of whack if you're not aligned. Still haven't tried that diet everyone keeps talking about, I'm vegi and not quite sure what I'd eat... or maybe I just enjoy eating too much...
I'm now starting to go for walks again (dreaming about the day I will backpack through southern utah again), learning to stretch any time I feel my hamstrings start to clench up,and able to go to the bathroom in the morning, look down and painlessly say 'whoops, forgot to slip on my birks this morning)
Happy healing,
Kara M

Scott R on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012234)

I wanted to point out that AlanS's case of being able to run marathons again so soon (a few months) after his initial injury is different than many cases. His case was a sudden injury that has apparently healed. Most cases start much more slowly and often end more slowly.

Mary Ann S on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012175)

There are many who are healed from the PF. A lot of them don't return to this board but occassionally someone will post their story. The same treatment doesn't work for everyone.

I had pf since August 1998. It started after I started walking and poor shoes I am sure. I tried many things, night splint, anti-inflammatory meds, iceing, rest, stretching, iontopheresis treatment. I havent tried cortisone shots or casting etc, many of the vitamines suggested here. What has helped me is custom orthotics. They are much larger than I had expected but after only a few days my pain was 80-90% better. I can only wear them in tennis shoes, and I am tired of that but I guess it is better than the pain.

My suggestion would be to try any and everything until you find something that helps. This is so miserable but don't let it get you down. It is an amazing feeling not to always be thinking about my foot. Take care.

Robin B. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012180)

Mary Ann is right -- most of the 'success stories' leave the board, leaving only us not-so-successful ones here.

But there IS hope and encouraging news. I have had PF since April 1998. I have been in the kind of pain people describe here, where you cry on your way back to the car, where you use a cane, where you contemplate using one of those motorized scooters in the grocery store or Walmart.

I am NOT cured, but I am sufficiently better than my feet are not all I think about. I don't yet walk for exercise, but I can do all my daily errands and chores without having to figure every last action or activity around my feet.

What has worked for me is Birkenstocks all the time, Bromelain (1800 gdu's a day), glucosamine (1500 mg a day) only slight stretching, aerobic activity every day (bike) and a diet that eliminates flour, wheat, refined sugar and caffeine. I miss bread -- but I would sure rather walk around the mall or be able to park my car at the far end of a parking lot without pain.

The point is, and it has been made hundreds of times on this board, you gotta' try a whole combination of treatment until you find something that works for you.

alan k. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012184)

I have a question about diet, since I can't track down the earlier discussions everyone seems to have had about diet and low-carb. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who knows about diet.

I am interested in your diet. I have foot pain for five months and treated with phys therapy, orthotics, rest, stretching, ice, and anti-inflammatories. No or little progress. I was wondering about your diet. Is it just to lose wieght, or are there other reasons to avoid those foods? Caffiene couldn't be about weight, I know, so it because it is a nerve irritant (like chocolate, which is worse)? What about the other things in your diet-- do they have specific benefits, or is this just a low-carb thing where you eat bacon and eggs all the time? I am thinking of trying that since I am gaining wieght, like everyone else, since getting this pain. Does the diet make your mind fuzzy, tired, or otherwise changed in anyway?

best, alan

Nancy M on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012208)

Libby, I'm here to give some encouragement. My pain first started in Spetember/October 1997. I would have pain in my left heel when I first got out of bed or got up after sitting for a while. I went to my primary care physician and took anti-flammatories and one cortisone shot. He then referred me to a podiatrist whom I now call 'my friendly foot doctor'. After no more than three more cortisone shots, taping, custom made orthodics and physical therapy I went ahead and had EPF surgery on my left foot in September 1998 and again in March 1999 on my right foot. I am happy to say that I'm 100% pain free in both my heels. I've also had neuroma's (tumor in nerve) removed, 2 in the left foot and 1 in the right foot. I'm also happy to say that I am also 100% pain free from those surgeries. My problem now is inflammation of a muscle in my left foot and I'm on Celebrex 200mg for that. It seems to be helping because if I forget to take one in the morning I have pain by the end of the day.

I consider myself a 'success story'. I still read the message board about twice a week and write of my success every once in a while.

Nancy in AZ

Gordon on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012214)

I started with this thing in June of 97 and was hit very bad in both feet. Crawled for over a year, tried everything and then came up with a solution that allows me to be as active as I normally was. The solution though is not simple. EVeryday I exercsise, stretch, massage, take vitamins, stay on a strict diet and ice (only ice after heavy ativity like soccer nowdays) and I feel I am still improving. The first two years went up and down.
THe diet and aerobic exercise is the key that turned it all around. I ellminated all food that contain processed sugar or wheat, bread items, did the yeast killer diet for several months, eat a lot of raw peanuts, raw sesame seeds, raw sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, psyllium seeds, flak seed (I add all this to my oatmeal every morning) lots of salmon, salad (lime juice for dressing) organic vegetables etc. You don't have to eat just meat to be on a limited carb diet.

DAily exercise helps a lot. Rest gives temp relief but doesn't cure.
Another thing that seems to help is Jarro-Dophilus by probiotics. It sets your digetive system straight.

I used to think I was a heavy built person and that is just the way I was. But now I am very lean from this diet and exercise and have relatives who thought that they were just built heavy do the same.
The diet wasn't to loose weight but it sure worked.

Do a search on other stuff (under gordon)I've wrote to see my story.

Gordon on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012215)

Whoops. June 96 is when my fun started

AlanS on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012224)

Libby,
I ruptured my PF during a marathon race on May 23rd of this year. I also saw the stories on this board, and became very discouraged. Here is my story. On May 24th, my arch was deep purple, and it was hard to walk on it. After a few weeks of icing it, it was ok to walk on, but I couldn't run even 50 yards without a lot of pain, so of course I didn't run. I was able to do spinning classes though without any pain. I went to the podiatrist about 6 weeks after the injury, and he confirmed the PF had been ruptured. I explained I was very anxious to get back to running 40 miles a week. He taped up my foot and told me try running; to my astonishment, I ran a mile without any pain. So next we got full length orthotics ($$$), and with them I didn't need to tape my foot to run every day. I also took lots of ibuprofen for a few weeks, and I still continue to ice as much as possible. Since the end of July, I've averaged running 52 miles a week, run farther than 20 miles on 4 occasions, and ran the Chicago Marathon (26.2 miles) last weekend in my fastest time ever (fast enough to qualify to run the Boston Marathon in 2000) with no pain or concern for my foot. I'm 48 years old. I know lots of others on this board have tried this same approach but to no avail. I've also heard of many runners that have similar recovery stories to mine, so I know my recovery is by no means unique. Good luck with your recovery Libby; there are successes out there.

Kara M on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012225)

I'm also on the road to recovery, not quite there yet, but can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I started to have Pf in the spring of 1996, I was 21. It's been on and off since then, becoming more and more of a problem. On a hiking semster in the fall of 96, I got a stress fracure in my right femur neck; my therapist says it was probably due to my poor walking mechanics (not to mention the 70 pound pack on my back).
In the beginning of this summer, I was ready to give up and put myself in a wheelchair. I have a active job of ski instructing in the winter and art teacher in the summers.
These things have helped me since then:
This board and a wonderful massage therapist, Birkenstocks all the time, Taping feet, stretching every day, constant awareness of my bad posture and trying to correct it i.e. suck in gut, no overpronation, get rid of knock knees, put shoulders back.
I've learned that my pf is caused mostly by me and the way I hold myself and that gravity has a way of pulling your body out of whack if you're not aligned. Still haven't tried that diet everyone keeps talking about, I'm vegi and not quite sure what I'd eat... or maybe I just enjoy eating too much...
I'm now starting to go for walks again (dreaming about the day I will backpack through southern utah again), learning to stretch any time I feel my hamstrings start to clench up,and able to go to the bathroom in the morning, look down and painlessly say 'whoops, forgot to slip on my birks this morning)
Happy healing,
Kara M

Scott R on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012234)

I wanted to point out that AlanS's case of being able to run marathons again so soon (a few months) after his initial injury is different than many cases. His case was a sudden injury that has apparently healed. Most cases start much more slowly and often end more slowly.