Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is PF a disease or an injury?

Posted by Mark on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012172)

I keep hearing PF referred to as a disease but I thought it was an injury due to stress put on the foot such as overexercising, wearing the wrong shoes, going barefoot, being overweight etc... I didn't think it was a disease. Could someone straighten me out on this? thanks, Mark

Re: Is PF a disease or an injury?

rekha s on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012174)

From what I understand, It is an overuse injury, such as achilles tendonitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carol on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012193)

I'm beginning to think it is a disease. I've had PF in my left foot for about at a year now. Finally saw a podiatrist after the holidays and got custom orthotics. The pod didn't tell me anything like doing stretches or massaging. Just told me about drugs, cortisone, and those $360 orthotics. A new aquaintance(physical therapist) showed me stretches to do and told me to massage the arch. That helped more than anything. I was able to resume my aerobic activities over the summer. Now just three weeks ago it struck with a vengance. Been off and on crutches. BUT, the real depressing thing is that it has now struck my right foot just three days ago. I can't believe this! How can the right one go bad when I've been treating both with the anti-inflams, ice, custom orthotics, stretching and massaging. How did I injure my right foot? If anything, my right foot should have been getting great preventative medicine. I'm just wondering if there isn't an underlying cause like from a virus or something.

alan k. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012195)

Did you get a virus and then PF? Perhaps when the right foot went? I got PF after a virus and I am looking for anyone with a similar experience, as I have not gotten any better after 5 months.
However, it seems that thinking of PF itself as a virus is not likely to be accurate. It might be brought on by an aggravation caused by a virus. At least, that is what I am hearing.

alan

Bea K on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012201)

I think neither. Some of us do not have feet that can standthe stamina of this heavy running, walking, general excercise. I think there is a weakness there and wish people with the ailment would rethink heavy excercise programs. They are doing themselves a lot of harm in my opinion.

carol on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012204)

Carol, the same thing happened to me. Initially, my left heel hurt. However, after the cortizone injections, my right one also started hurting.

The reason is that unknowingly we end up walking differently with the pain and put more stress on the other foot, thereby hurting the other foot. Think of it, maybe after the pain, or shots we start limping putting the body's entire weight on the other foot.

john h on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012216)

i have always believed that what we call PF is the result of various problems all of which produce 'pain'. (1) the fascia could indeed be inflamed (2) nerve damage at any of vaious places in the foot or ankle (3) tight hamstrings, tight calves, tight achilles tendons (4) pain referred from the back (5) poor mechanics when you walk (6) poor shoes (7) flat feet or not shoes (8) to much or to little exercise and on and on. The physicians as a matter of fact can hardly ever acurrately diagnoise the Pain Generator. If they could they could probably fix it. With so many causes there are just as sure to be as many fixes.

rekha on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012221)

oops...that message is posted by me, not carol....(re: other foot)
sorry!

Carol on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012241)

No. I don't think I had a virus. I've had various other health problems though. Going through the change of life has been hell to say the least (no sleep). I'm on meds that seem to finally be working great. It was about at that time (getting great sleep again) that my PF flared with a vengeance. Also, my doctor wants me to come back in six months to get a blood test redone. My white cells are low. So am wondering if there isn't something else going on with me. I really want to feel normal again!

rekha s on 10/30/99 at 00:00 (012174)

From what I understand, It is an overuse injury, such as achilles tendonitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carol on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012193)

I'm beginning to think it is a disease. I've had PF in my left foot for about at a year now. Finally saw a podiatrist after the holidays and got custom orthotics. The pod didn't tell me anything like doing stretches or massaging. Just told me about drugs, cortisone, and those $360 orthotics. A new aquaintance(physical therapist) showed me stretches to do and told me to massage the arch. That helped more than anything. I was able to resume my aerobic activities over the summer. Now just three weeks ago it struck with a vengance. Been off and on crutches. BUT, the real depressing thing is that it has now struck my right foot just three days ago. I can't believe this! How can the right one go bad when I've been treating both with the anti-inflams, ice, custom orthotics, stretching and massaging. How did I injure my right foot? If anything, my right foot should have been getting great preventative medicine. I'm just wondering if there isn't an underlying cause like from a virus or something.

alan k. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012195)

Did you get a virus and then PF? Perhaps when the right foot went? I got PF after a virus and I am looking for anyone with a similar experience, as I have not gotten any better after 5 months.
However, it seems that thinking of PF itself as a virus is not likely to be accurate. It might be brought on by an aggravation caused by a virus. At least, that is what I am hearing.

alan

Bea K on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012201)

I think neither. Some of us do not have feet that can standthe stamina of this heavy running, walking, general excercise. I think there is a weakness there and wish people with the ailment would rethink heavy excercise programs. They are doing themselves a lot of harm in my opinion.

carol on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012204)

Carol, the same thing happened to me. Initially, my left heel hurt. However, after the cortizone injections, my right one also started hurting.

The reason is that unknowingly we end up walking differently with the pain and put more stress on the other foot, thereby hurting the other foot. Think of it, maybe after the pain, or shots we start limping putting the body's entire weight on the other foot.

john h on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012216)

i have always believed that what we call PF is the result of various problems all of which produce 'pain'. (1) the fascia could indeed be inflamed (2) nerve damage at any of vaious places in the foot or ankle (3) tight hamstrings, tight calves, tight achilles tendons (4) pain referred from the back (5) poor mechanics when you walk (6) poor shoes (7) flat feet or not shoes (8) to much or to little exercise and on and on. The physicians as a matter of fact can hardly ever acurrately diagnoise the Pain Generator. If they could they could probably fix it. With so many causes there are just as sure to be as many fixes.

rekha on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012221)

oops...that message is posted by me, not carol....(re: other foot)
sorry!

Carol on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012241)

No. I don't think I had a virus. I've had various other health problems though. Going through the change of life has been hell to say the least (no sleep). I'm on meds that seem to finally be working great. It was about at that time (getting great sleep again) that my PF flared with a vengeance. Also, my doctor wants me to come back in six months to get a blood test redone. My white cells are low. So am wondering if there isn't something else going on with me. I really want to feel normal again!