Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bike Riding

Posted by Libby on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012182)

Is is really safe to go bicycling with PF? Do I need to push with the ball of my foot instead of the heal? The ends of the streets in my neighborhood are slightly inclined and take a little effort to get up. Will that hurt my feet? I'm dying to do something but don't want to damage my feet.

My podiatrist told me to wear high heel pumps to put my feet on an incline. Has anyone else been told to do that? I always wore flats cause I thought they were better for my feet.

Thanks again! Libby

Re: Bike Riding

john v. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012205)

Bike riding is great exercise if you've got PF. Get a pair of stiff soled bike shoes, though. If you wear them the bottom of your foot doesn't flex and there's no pain.

WendyW on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012212)

Biking has been a blessing to me...kept me going when the feet failed!! I was warned (on this message board) to be sure to stretch the hamstring muscles after a ride as they will tighten up and possibly make the PF worse. I always do this and have had no increase in PF problems from the exercise.

Roberta C on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012236)

Biking riding RULES!!!! I do it daily and ride just about everywhere I go. As mentionned already if you have a problem with your foot when you ride you can get solid soled bike shoes. These shoes don't bend at all and should be very comfortable. The other suggestion (and this will save your knees as well as your feet) is to spin when you pedal. ie have the gearing a little lower than you might feel is right so you are spinning rather than pushing the pedals. And of course stretch those hamstrings. One good hamstring stretch is to lie on your back next to the corner of a wall and put one leg up against the wall and the other out straight. Hold this for about 5 minutes.

Cycling kept me sane when my foot was really bad and since it has gotten better I haven;t been able to go back to running, I am still just riding my bike.

john v. on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012205)

Bike riding is great exercise if you've got PF. Get a pair of stiff soled bike shoes, though. If you wear them the bottom of your foot doesn't flex and there's no pain.

WendyW on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012212)

Biking has been a blessing to me...kept me going when the feet failed!! I was warned (on this message board) to be sure to stretch the hamstring muscles after a ride as they will tighten up and possibly make the PF worse. I always do this and have had no increase in PF problems from the exercise.

Roberta C on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012236)

Biking riding RULES!!!! I do it daily and ride just about everywhere I go. As mentionned already if you have a problem with your foot when you ride you can get solid soled bike shoes. These shoes don't bend at all and should be very comfortable. The other suggestion (and this will save your knees as well as your feet) is to spin when you pedal. ie have the gearing a little lower than you might feel is right so you are spinning rather than pushing the pedals. And of course stretch those hamstrings. One good hamstring stretch is to lie on your back next to the corner of a wall and put one leg up against the wall and the other out straight. Hold this for about 5 minutes.

Cycling kept me sane when my foot was really bad and since it has gotten better I haven;t been able to go back to running, I am still just riding my bike.