Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Bike Riding - high heels

Posted by el j on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012186)

Yes, my ortho doc and the person who made my orthodics said I would feel better with a shoe with a higher heel. I wear a shoe with a wedge of 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inch with an full foot orthodotic and it does feel great. I wear clinic shoes ('renew' or 'refresh' styles) or Barefoot Freedom 'bounce.' The higher heel seems to keep the facia elongated and helps during the day when going from sitting to standing.

Re: Bike Riding - How do you stretch the hamstrings?

Libby on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012218)

How do you stretch the hamstrings and can I ride my bike in regular Reebok tennis shoes?

WendyW on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012223)

Sit on floor, tuck one foot against your opposite thigh and lean over outstretched leg with both hands. If possible, pull on toes to get a calf stretch at same time. Alternate legs three times, holding stretch each time for about 20-30 sec. I wear New Balance shoes to bike ride. Only other advice is don't pedal with toes, use mid foot on pedal or heel.

Libby on 10/31/99 at 00:00 (012218)

How do you stretch the hamstrings and can I ride my bike in regular Reebok tennis shoes?

WendyW on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012223)

Sit on floor, tuck one foot against your opposite thigh and lean over outstretched leg with both hands. If possible, pull on toes to get a calf stretch at same time. Alternate legs three times, holding stretch each time for about 20-30 sec. I wear New Balance shoes to bike ride. Only other advice is don't pedal with toes, use mid foot on pedal or heel.