Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes and Orthotics

Posted by Mark on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012228)

We are are one-income family of 4. I can only afford to buy one good pair of shoes right now. I've heard mentioned Birkenstocks, Mephistos, and New Balance on this website. What is the least expensive brand that I could get away with that would be still good for my feet? It's hard to invest all that money with Christmas coming up.

Also, my podiatrist quoted me $375.00 for orthotics. Are there any orthotics out on the market that would be as good as what I could get from my podiatrist that wouldn't cost as much? I've read about Superfeet inserts that seem a little less expensive.

Thanks so much for your help and support! Mark

Re: Shoes and Orthotics

john h on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012233)

mark before i spent $350 for custom orthotics i would try some spencos or the two piece birkenstock orthotic ($45 at Just for Feet) to get some idea if they give you any relief.

Viola B. on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012242)

Of the three you mentioned, New Balance is the cheapest of the three. I have not found any New Balance shoes that I like yet. However, I do plan to purchase some when I can put back a little extra money. I too have not bought orthotics because of the price. I have tried both Superfeet and Spenco inserts. In my case, I feel that the Spenco inserts do not give me enough support. I prefer the Superfeet. I recently bought a pair of Mephisto sandal type shoes (I live in the South). They cost me $150 - more than I can afford for shoes. However, I feel they were worth the money and plan to buy another pair in the spring. So far, my feet do not hurt when I wear them. I did try on several different pairs of Mephistos before I bought them. I find that wedge type shoes with a higher heel (1 1/2 inches or a little more) work best for me. I have also tried on some Dansko shoes. I liked them also.

wendyn on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012247)

Most places will let you return the shoes up to a certain point in time as long as you've only worn them on carpet. Check on their return policy, and get it in writing. Then, once you decide on a pair - wear them around the house as much as you can in that period. At least that way you hopefully will end up with a pair you can use. For the orthotics - they can help, but it's highly individual. If you have any additional health coverage, check and see if they will cover any. You may also be able to use it as an income tax medical deduction depending on where you live. Ask your podiatrist if you can have them redone or returned if they don't help or if you can't wear them. Also you may want to ask about any payment policy if you can't pay everything at once, hopefully they can be accomodating.

john h on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012233)

mark before i spent $350 for custom orthotics i would try some spencos or the two piece birkenstock orthotic ($45 at Just for Feet) to get some idea if they give you any relief.

Viola B. on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012242)

Of the three you mentioned, New Balance is the cheapest of the three. I have not found any New Balance shoes that I like yet. However, I do plan to purchase some when I can put back a little extra money. I too have not bought orthotics because of the price. I have tried both Superfeet and Spenco inserts. In my case, I feel that the Spenco inserts do not give me enough support. I prefer the Superfeet. I recently bought a pair of Mephisto sandal type shoes (I live in the South). They cost me $150 - more than I can afford for shoes. However, I feel they were worth the money and plan to buy another pair in the spring. So far, my feet do not hurt when I wear them. I did try on several different pairs of Mephistos before I bought them. I find that wedge type shoes with a higher heel (1 1/2 inches or a little more) work best for me. I have also tried on some Dansko shoes. I liked them also.

wendyn on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012247)

Most places will let you return the shoes up to a certain point in time as long as you've only worn them on carpet. Check on their return policy, and get it in writing. Then, once you decide on a pair - wear them around the house as much as you can in that period. At least that way you hopefully will end up with a pair you can use. For the orthotics - they can help, but it's highly individual. If you have any additional health coverage, check and see if they will cover any. You may also be able to use it as an income tax medical deduction depending on where you live. Ask your podiatrist if you can have them redone or returned if they don't help or if you can't wear them. Also you may want to ask about any payment policy if you can't pay everything at once, hopefully they can be accomodating.