Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doc suggests injections... eek!

Posted by StepTeach R on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012268)

Hi everyone. I was just diagnosed with a heel spur. The doctor I went to didn't seem to willing to give up any information on the causes and cures of this ailment. Nor did he correlate it with PF - which is what I self-diagnosed before going to him. His method of cure is a course of cortisone injections until 'the spur is dissolved.' I teach aerobics 3x/week, and am very concerned with this type of treatment as a first resort. Also, I don't have much faith in this doctor. This is my first experience with him. Suggestions??? Does he sound like he knows what's going on? I did have an x-ray taken that showed a 'large bone spur'. Help! I don't want to rist a plantar rupture! He said I could have an injection today and still teach my class tomorrow. I declined... Thanks in advance.

Re: Doc suggests injections... eek!

jholt on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012269)

i am not sure, but i do not think injections dissolve heel spurs. heel spurs are usually caused by the underlying problem of the fascia pulling where it is attached to the heel bone. you can have heel spurs without pain and they are generally not the cause of the pain. careful with injections as that is usually what they first pull out of their bag of cures. if doctor did not mention rest, stretching, ice, shoe wear, etc or explain to you the many causes and treatments of PF then see another doc.

tarah on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012273)

I have have had 6 cortisone shots in each foot since 1992. In the beginning they were great I would say the first one lasted for about 3 years then both feet started to bother me really bad that is how I ended up with so many shots. I have never heard this before about cortisone dissolving a spur, my doc explained to me that the cortisone shrinks the swelling around the spur therefore releiving the pain. I had surgery on both feet in Oct of 98, my heels are fine now but now I have severe arch pain and cannot bend my toes, I am wondering if I did the right thing, I can hardly stand the bed sheet being pulled tight around my feet. Has anyone else ever had this experiance? I have an appt. next week to have special insets made another $250.00. Anyway, I would run don't walk to another doc if I were you.

Robin B. on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012274)

You're smart. Continue to decline this doc's invitation for an injection. Cortisone is an anti-inflam. It's purpose is not to dissolve heel spurs, nor do I believe it will.

Equally unbelievable -- a doc who would tell you that he will inject you today and you can (and should) teach aerobics tomorrow. Trust your instinct and find another doc -- fast.

Becky R. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012277)

You better run (or walk as fast as possible) to another doctor. This guy doesn't sound like he knows whats going on. First of all, the cortisone is to relief inflammation, not dissolve the heel spur. The heel spur is not the problem but rather a result of pulling of the fascia. Avoid injections. There is evidence that it can cause permenant damage to your foot. Read as much as possible about this condition via this website and find another doctor. Good luck.

cam on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012281)

I originally accepted the advice of an injection & it gave me all of 2 days relief. Too much pain and no gain. Stay away from it.

Jane B on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012293)

I agree with the rest, find another doctor..Cortisone for spur?????
Also, with pf, cortisone is usually a final step before surgery. I would try a series of 3 cortisone before surgery as I did. But you are far from that. Try to find a sports medicine orthopedic or one who specializes in feet if you can find one. Some podiatrists are great but they are hard to find. I found a good sport medicine podiatrist but only after searching for years. Do you have a college for podiatric medicine in your area?? They, so I am told have the best podiatrist because they are teaching. Also, if you know a nurse they usually know the best doctors. Good Luck...

StepTeach R on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012369)

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm seeking another opinion... hopefully my spur will respond to less invasive healing techniques. Good luck to everyone out there. :)

jholt on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012269)

i am not sure, but i do not think injections dissolve heel spurs. heel spurs are usually caused by the underlying problem of the fascia pulling where it is attached to the heel bone. you can have heel spurs without pain and they are generally not the cause of the pain. careful with injections as that is usually what they first pull out of their bag of cures. if doctor did not mention rest, stretching, ice, shoe wear, etc or explain to you the many causes and treatments of PF then see another doc.

tarah on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012273)

I have have had 6 cortisone shots in each foot since 1992. In the beginning they were great I would say the first one lasted for about 3 years then both feet started to bother me really bad that is how I ended up with so many shots. I have never heard this before about cortisone dissolving a spur, my doc explained to me that the cortisone shrinks the swelling around the spur therefore releiving the pain. I had surgery on both feet in Oct of 98, my heels are fine now but now I have severe arch pain and cannot bend my toes, I am wondering if I did the right thing, I can hardly stand the bed sheet being pulled tight around my feet. Has anyone else ever had this experiance? I have an appt. next week to have special insets made another $250.00. Anyway, I would run don't walk to another doc if I were you.

Robin B. on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012274)

You're smart. Continue to decline this doc's invitation for an injection. Cortisone is an anti-inflam. It's purpose is not to dissolve heel spurs, nor do I believe it will.

Equally unbelievable -- a doc who would tell you that he will inject you today and you can (and should) teach aerobics tomorrow. Trust your instinct and find another doc -- fast.

Becky R. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012277)

You better run (or walk as fast as possible) to another doctor. This guy doesn't sound like he knows whats going on. First of all, the cortisone is to relief inflammation, not dissolve the heel spur. The heel spur is not the problem but rather a result of pulling of the fascia. Avoid injections. There is evidence that it can cause permenant damage to your foot. Read as much as possible about this condition via this website and find another doctor. Good luck.

cam on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012281)

I originally accepted the advice of an injection & it gave me all of 2 days relief. Too much pain and no gain. Stay away from it.

Jane B on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012293)

I agree with the rest, find another doctor..Cortisone for spur?????
Also, with pf, cortisone is usually a final step before surgery. I would try a series of 3 cortisone before surgery as I did. But you are far from that. Try to find a sports medicine orthopedic or one who specializes in feet if you can find one. Some podiatrists are great but they are hard to find. I found a good sport medicine podiatrist but only after searching for years. Do you have a college for podiatric medicine in your area?? They, so I am told have the best podiatrist because they are teaching. Also, if you know a nurse they usually know the best doctors. Good Luck...

StepTeach R on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012369)

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm seeking another opinion... hopefully my spur will respond to less invasive healing techniques. Good luck to everyone out there. :)