Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exersize vs. rest

Posted by alan k on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012276)

My question is, I know, based on a false distinction: what do you all think about returning to exersize after not making any progress on healing PF? I realize I can exersize all I want on my butt, knees, standing on my head, and in a pool, and still rest my feet. The thing is, I really don't want to do any of that. I love exersizing on my feet, and I miss it like many of you, though I don't need to run or jump or even walk much, but at least stand. My question is: some people have been hinting that rest, for some people, does not do any good except temporarily, and they recommend exersize. Rest has certainly not helped me in any way I can detect, after 5 months of very sedentary living. I want to get go mildy back on my feet, and I guess I want people to tell me it might help someone like me who has not gotten better with rest. So, can anyone oblige me (or not)?

alan

Re: exersize vs. rest

Gordon on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012278)

I took a long time before I could exercise on my feet. You need exercise but not on the feet when your starting out. I used to do weight lifting on my knees on a cushion. Now I can stand but that took over 6 months to get to. Slow progress is better than going backwards. Bloodflow and oxygen are the goals for exercise.
There is lots you can do off your feet. Get creative.

Re: exersize vs. rest (to Alan and Gordon)

Carol on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012283)

I get great feelings and results by cycling. I have an indoor stand for my racing bike. It's a Blackburn Trakstand. Can be found at a bike shop. It's wonderful. I use the gears on my bike to increase/decrease resistance. It's in my rec room with the music,
TV and reading material. You may be able to find a cycling or triathlon club that gets together to have workouts (or health club-spinning). These workouts I have been to are lead by cycling coaches. What a workout!! What a great feeling!! Question to Gordon--is there any lower body weight lifting activity that is not safe to do in the seated (or kneeling)position? I want to workout with weights but I'm kind of scared (mainly because I've had two instances where I had lifted weights and was down for the count a day or two afterwards). I want to believe it wasn't the weights that did it--that it was just a coincidence.

AndreaB on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012284)

Alan, I believe I read in earlier posts you are a runner? Maybe not--I read the board everyday but don't always have a chance to respond but I will give you my take on the exercise. I ran a marathon over a year ago (oct '98) and developed my condition three weeks before the race. I ran it anyway. After the marathon I tried absolute rest for well over 6 months as I was in excrutiating pain (rest for me was not running I did walk my dog almost daily about a mile.) When I started to feel somewhat better I tried running again but I went out slow--2X week no more than 2-3 miles. It was going o.k. for about a month and then WHAM! I was out for the count again--pain returned intensly. I got down again thinking my feet would never feel good. About a month ago I've tried exercise again (biking, elliptical trainer, running no more than 20 minutes) and I have good days and bad days. Last Thursday I ran/elliptical trained for 35mins! and I thought I could have gone forever but I didn't--don't want to over do it.

In my opinion the bottom line is that I have excepted that I have an unusually bad injury now and deal with the fact that I will have set backs. After being a runner for over 8 years I have also accepted the fact that quite possibly I won't run 25-50 miles a week again (at least not without pain). If you are a runner you know what a big feat saying this is--it kills me but I am in a place now where I am o.k. with the fact that just being able to do SOMETHING on my feet lifts my spirits.

I am in the 'exercise camp' with PF--if you are in the 'chronic category'! I believe there comes a point where without exercise and blood flowing to tissues your body can't heal itself. Also this injury effects your mental state and if you are depressed it can also take longer for you body to heal. But my attitude has changed since my running days. I don't push myself anymore like I used to. If I am having a bad pain day, I don't over do it--sometimes I just sit on the couch. But I know now that I will have good days too when I will be up and around exercising with very little pain. (sorry so long)

Beth D. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012285)

Alan,

I can empathize with you wanting to do low imapact exercise on your feet, but I can't give you an ok! I've been biking exclusively and have been better since I stopped any swimming/water aerobics. How often do you swim? Maybe you could try biking instead of swimming. I am trying to get to the point where I can walk without the inflammation from PF. Like you, I don't care anymore about running and jumping.

Beth

RickH on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012286)

I suffered and rested for a year. Then my Dr. give me a tidbit of info that he hadn't before which was that exercise won't make the condition worse only the pain. He told me that if I could stand the pain go ahead. I made sure I had really good shoes and started my workouts again (I kept up on my daily streching exercises). Unbelievably the pain started subsiding now I only feel pain in the mornings. Mentally my whole outlook has changed. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone but if your lucky like me it's worth a try.

Good Luck

BettyM on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012296)

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge with using a Nordic track? I thought that perhaps it would be more tolerable exercise since it involves sliding the feet rather than 'coming down' on them.

wendyn on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012308)

Go slow and listen to your body. I think it depends on the person, the condition they have, and what they're doing. For me, almost total rest (i.e. little walking, no jumping, no biking) has helped. I even have to be careful in the pool. After I come out of the pool though, I feel great (my feet feel better too - maybe because of increased blood flow?) If you have ANY pain, or increase in severity of your symptoms STOP what you are doing IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT try to work through pain. The more I say this, the more I hope someone will listen (unlike what I did a year ago, please please please learn from other peoples mistakes and take things slowly!).

alan k on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012321)

This is the thing I want to hear, but after hearing it I find it hard to believe -- the doctor's explanation, not the fact that it worked for you. It doesn't seem to make sense that the pain is unrelated to damage to the P fascia.

But the encouraging thing I am just wondering about in the long run is whether atrophy in the foot sets in when not walking around or bearing wieght on it (other than my tummy). Maybe, I am trying to convince myself, I should be on my feet more. There are definitely strong emotions effecting my judgement here.

alan k on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012322)

I am not a runner. I just want to do standing yoga poses, which one holds on one's feet for around a minute at time (often on to another one). No jumping really.

Standing on my feet for more than a minute hurts, but is relived when sitting down. I have never tried to be more active and see what happens, and I am a little afraid to do it.

Even biking seems so unlikely to me-- pressing one's feet on the pedals-- that's got to hurt. However, it is an exersize I might like: to be out and about, moving fast, the wind in my hair-- sounds great. Maybe I'll try it-- but winter approaches.

alan k.

Gordon on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012278)

I took a long time before I could exercise on my feet. You need exercise but not on the feet when your starting out. I used to do weight lifting on my knees on a cushion. Now I can stand but that took over 6 months to get to. Slow progress is better than going backwards. Bloodflow and oxygen are the goals for exercise.
There is lots you can do off your feet. Get creative.

Re: exersize vs. rest (to Alan and Gordon)

Carol on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012283)

I get great feelings and results by cycling. I have an indoor stand for my racing bike. It's a Blackburn Trakstand. Can be found at a bike shop. It's wonderful. I use the gears on my bike to increase/decrease resistance. It's in my rec room with the music,
TV and reading material. You may be able to find a cycling or triathlon club that gets together to have workouts (or health club-spinning). These workouts I have been to are lead by cycling coaches. What a workout!! What a great feeling!! Question to Gordon--is there any lower body weight lifting activity that is not safe to do in the seated (or kneeling)position? I want to workout with weights but I'm kind of scared (mainly because I've had two instances where I had lifted weights and was down for the count a day or two afterwards). I want to believe it wasn't the weights that did it--that it was just a coincidence.

AndreaB on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012284)

Alan, I believe I read in earlier posts you are a runner? Maybe not--I read the board everyday but don't always have a chance to respond but I will give you my take on the exercise. I ran a marathon over a year ago (oct '98) and developed my condition three weeks before the race. I ran it anyway. After the marathon I tried absolute rest for well over 6 months as I was in excrutiating pain (rest for me was not running I did walk my dog almost daily about a mile.) When I started to feel somewhat better I tried running again but I went out slow--2X week no more than 2-3 miles. It was going o.k. for about a month and then WHAM! I was out for the count again--pain returned intensly. I got down again thinking my feet would never feel good. About a month ago I've tried exercise again (biking, elliptical trainer, running no more than 20 minutes) and I have good days and bad days. Last Thursday I ran/elliptical trained for 35mins! and I thought I could have gone forever but I didn't--don't want to over do it.

In my opinion the bottom line is that I have excepted that I have an unusually bad injury now and deal with the fact that I will have set backs. After being a runner for over 8 years I have also accepted the fact that quite possibly I won't run 25-50 miles a week again (at least not without pain). If you are a runner you know what a big feat saying this is--it kills me but I am in a place now where I am o.k. with the fact that just being able to do SOMETHING on my feet lifts my spirits.

I am in the 'exercise camp' with PF--if you are in the 'chronic category'! I believe there comes a point where without exercise and blood flowing to tissues your body can't heal itself. Also this injury effects your mental state and if you are depressed it can also take longer for you body to heal. But my attitude has changed since my running days. I don't push myself anymore like I used to. If I am having a bad pain day, I don't over do it--sometimes I just sit on the couch. But I know now that I will have good days too when I will be up and around exercising with very little pain. (sorry so long)

Beth D. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012285)

Alan,

I can empathize with you wanting to do low imapact exercise on your feet, but I can't give you an ok! I've been biking exclusively and have been better since I stopped any swimming/water aerobics. How often do you swim? Maybe you could try biking instead of swimming. I am trying to get to the point where I can walk without the inflammation from PF. Like you, I don't care anymore about running and jumping.

Beth

RickH on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012286)

I suffered and rested for a year. Then my Dr. give me a tidbit of info that he hadn't before which was that exercise won't make the condition worse only the pain. He told me that if I could stand the pain go ahead. I made sure I had really good shoes and started my workouts again (I kept up on my daily streching exercises). Unbelievably the pain started subsiding now I only feel pain in the mornings. Mentally my whole outlook has changed. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone but if your lucky like me it's worth a try.

Good Luck

BettyM on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012296)

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge with using a Nordic track? I thought that perhaps it would be more tolerable exercise since it involves sliding the feet rather than 'coming down' on them.

wendyn on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012308)

Go slow and listen to your body. I think it depends on the person, the condition they have, and what they're doing. For me, almost total rest (i.e. little walking, no jumping, no biking) has helped. I even have to be careful in the pool. After I come out of the pool though, I feel great (my feet feel better too - maybe because of increased blood flow?) If you have ANY pain, or increase in severity of your symptoms STOP what you are doing IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT try to work through pain. The more I say this, the more I hope someone will listen (unlike what I did a year ago, please please please learn from other peoples mistakes and take things slowly!).

alan k on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012321)

This is the thing I want to hear, but after hearing it I find it hard to believe -- the doctor's explanation, not the fact that it worked for you. It doesn't seem to make sense that the pain is unrelated to damage to the P fascia.

But the encouraging thing I am just wondering about in the long run is whether atrophy in the foot sets in when not walking around or bearing wieght on it (other than my tummy). Maybe, I am trying to convince myself, I should be on my feet more. There are definitely strong emotions effecting my judgement here.

alan k on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012322)

I am not a runner. I just want to do standing yoga poses, which one holds on one's feet for around a minute at time (often on to another one). No jumping really.

Standing on my feet for more than a minute hurts, but is relived when sitting down. I have never tried to be more active and see what happens, and I am a little afraid to do it.

Even biking seems so unlikely to me-- pressing one's feet on the pedals-- that's got to hurt. However, it is an exersize I might like: to be out and about, moving fast, the wind in my hair-- sounds great. Maybe I'll try it-- but winter approaches.

alan k.