Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Prednisone

Posted by Jan on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012313)

My podiatrist has just prescribed methylprednisolone (predisone) instead of giving me a cortisone shot. I've read the insert and I'm scared to start taking it. Anyone know anything about--will it help my PF, etc.?

Re: Prednisone

Cee on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005837)

Bea-
Yes, it is a dangerous drug, my doctor said if I hadn't been so sick for so long he would not have given it to me but it was a last resort. It took roughly a week after stopping it for me to start limping again. Although they did their job and as a bonus helped my feet, osteoperosis and hardening of the arteries are not something I want to deal with in my old age, so long term use is not an option. Also, the short term side effects were not pleasant, including increased appetite, weight gain and trembling hands.
Scott- I am new here, what page are you referring to and how can I get to it?

Thanks,
Cee

Cee on 3/29/99 at 00:00 (005837)

Bea-
Yes, it is a dangerous drug, my doctor said if I hadn't been so sick for so long he would not have given it to me but it was a last resort. It took roughly a week after stopping it for me to start limping again. Although they did their job and as a bonus helped my feet, osteoperosis and hardening of the arteries are not something I want to deal with in my old age, so long term use is not an option. Also, the short term side effects were not pleasant, including increased appetite, weight gain and trembling hands.
Scott- I am new here, what page are you referring to and how can I get to it?

Thanks,
Cee

Becky R. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012314)

Jan,
I just took a Medrol Dose Pak last week, same thing as prednisone. It was a 7 day treatment, you take less each day. I had no side effects from the drug. I though the first two days my feet felt better, but then nothing. I would not be afraid to take the drug. The shots on the other hand - never do. Good luck.
Becky in Ohio

john h on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012316)

this is a tough drug with many long term side effects used frequently with people who have tough cases of rheumotid arthritis. long term use among other thing can cause a rounded face. never heard of it being prescribed for PF. i would certainly question this!

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012352)

I just got it prescribed also, but I haven't taken it. It probably is a normal prescription in cases of those who don't respond to viox or celebrex. It seems one should try these first.

alan k

Nancy T on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012360)

Alan: Just wondering what the dosage is for prednisone for you, ie: how many milligrams, and how often do you take it daily. Also, how long a course will you be on?

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012364)

I didn't fill the prescription yet so I am not sure, but it is a seven day course of Medrol, which a previous post in this chain said is the same as prednisone. This is only after taking daypro, vioxx, and celebrex for a few months. I will take the drug, but I can't imagine that seven days of anything will make any permanent difference for me. Nothing at all seems to stem the course of this. I did detect a slight change from hydrocortisone rubbed in with ultrasound, but that is bad for the foot bones and can only be done for a few weeks. I got a 10-20% improvement. But now i'm getting worse again and don't expect the medrol to be anything but a mild and fleeting thing. At this point, only low-carb dieting seems like a possible and hopeful long-term treatment for me.

Jan on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012373)

Here's what I'm taking. Methylprednisolone (generic for Medrol). Two packs of 21 4-mg tablets. Each pack has a dose of 6 pills (day 1) 5 pills (day 2), etc. until down to one (6th day).....BUT, I've got two packs so what I'm to do is take 6 tablets day 1, 6 tablets (from the other pack on day 2), 5 on days 3 and 4, 4 on days 5 and 6, and so on until the last tablet is taken on the 12th day. I've taken 4 tablets so far and I've got a slight headache. I'll keep you posted on how it is working (cross fingers).

Mary S. on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012375)

Prednisone will definitily do one thing...Make you fat!!! I had a friend who went on it and she gained 30 pounds!! Good for the foot problem, right????

Annette G on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012397)

I had a 10 day therapy a few weeks ago with prednizone, I didn't care for the side effects at all, It made me feel wired and very anxious. I thought at first that it was helping, but the pain came back right away. I then had a cortizone shot after, and again, I had no positive results. I am very discouraged.
Annette

Nancy T on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012402)

Hi Alan: I was curious as to the dosage amount as I am treated occasionally with prednisone for asthma inflammation as it occurs. I ALWAYS feel super about one day after taking it, and always continue to improve while on it. What it does is 'shock' the inflammation out of your system. My MD tells me that as long as you are on a short course of this medication it will do its job quickly, and the side effects are kept to a minimum, if any. I do not get any. Last winter, tho, after having to take it three times for asthma treatment, I did develop a little bit of 'moonface'. It makes you face somewhat rounder. It is only temporary, however, and quickly disappears in a week or so. To anyone considering taking prednisone to try and treat the inflammation of PF, I would say go for it. Again, if taking long-term it can cause problems, but with short courses of it, you shouldn't have any problems. Incidently, I am treated with 10mg tablets, 6 the first day, 5 the second, etc.

Becky R. on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012314)

Jan,
I just took a Medrol Dose Pak last week, same thing as prednisone. It was a 7 day treatment, you take less each day. I had no side effects from the drug. I though the first two days my feet felt better, but then nothing. I would not be afraid to take the drug. The shots on the other hand - never do. Good luck.
Becky in Ohio

john h on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012316)

this is a tough drug with many long term side effects used frequently with people who have tough cases of rheumotid arthritis. long term use among other thing can cause a rounded face. never heard of it being prescribed for PF. i would certainly question this!

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012352)

I just got it prescribed also, but I haven't taken it. It probably is a normal prescription in cases of those who don't respond to viox or celebrex. It seems one should try these first.

alan k

Nancy T on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012360)

Alan: Just wondering what the dosage is for prednisone for you, ie: how many milligrams, and how often do you take it daily. Also, how long a course will you be on?

alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012364)

I didn't fill the prescription yet so I am not sure, but it is a seven day course of Medrol, which a previous post in this chain said is the same as prednisone. This is only after taking daypro, vioxx, and celebrex for a few months. I will take the drug, but I can't imagine that seven days of anything will make any permanent difference for me. Nothing at all seems to stem the course of this. I did detect a slight change from hydrocortisone rubbed in with ultrasound, but that is bad for the foot bones and can only be done for a few weeks. I got a 10-20% improvement. But now i'm getting worse again and don't expect the medrol to be anything but a mild and fleeting thing. At this point, only low-carb dieting seems like a possible and hopeful long-term treatment for me.

Jan on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012373)

Here's what I'm taking. Methylprednisolone (generic for Medrol). Two packs of 21 4-mg tablets. Each pack has a dose of 6 pills (day 1) 5 pills (day 2), etc. until down to one (6th day).....BUT, I've got two packs so what I'm to do is take 6 tablets day 1, 6 tablets (from the other pack on day 2), 5 on days 3 and 4, 4 on days 5 and 6, and so on until the last tablet is taken on the 12th day. I've taken 4 tablets so far and I've got a slight headache. I'll keep you posted on how it is working (cross fingers).

Mary S. on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012375)

Prednisone will definitily do one thing...Make you fat!!! I had a friend who went on it and she gained 30 pounds!! Good for the foot problem, right????

Annette G on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012397)

I had a 10 day therapy a few weeks ago with prednizone, I didn't care for the side effects at all, It made me feel wired and very anxious. I thought at first that it was helping, but the pain came back right away. I then had a cortizone shot after, and again, I had no positive results. I am very discouraged.
Annette

Nancy T on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012402)

Hi Alan: I was curious as to the dosage amount as I am treated occasionally with prednisone for asthma inflammation as it occurs. I ALWAYS feel super about one day after taking it, and always continue to improve while on it. What it does is 'shock' the inflammation out of your system. My MD tells me that as long as you are on a short course of this medication it will do its job quickly, and the side effects are kept to a minimum, if any. I do not get any. Last winter, tho, after having to take it three times for asthma treatment, I did develop a little bit of 'moonface'. It makes you face somewhat rounder. It is only temporary, however, and quickly disappears in a week or so. To anyone considering taking prednisone to try and treat the inflammation of PF, I would say go for it. Again, if taking long-term it can cause problems, but with short courses of it, you shouldn't have any problems. Incidently, I am treated with 10mg tablets, 6 the first day, 5 the second, etc.