Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I should have asked before...

Posted by Vicki J on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012333)

THanks for the added info...I should have also asked you in my first posting...do you have high arches? I do...and find that the custom orthotics are the only thing that really support them...and the Birks once I have broken them in.
thanks again.
v

Re: I should have asked before...

john a on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012334)

No, I think I have fairly normal arches, and I'm definitely not flat-footed. I like the feel of Birks too, and Mephisto sandals. I would guess that if Birks work for you, then so will Superfeet. Do you happen to use the higher-arched Tatami line of Birks?

Vicki J on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012385)

Rats! I didn't know that Tatami line had higher arches! I just bought a new pair to break in for the winter and of course it takes forever!My twenty year old pair fit my arches perfectly, but don't fit well with socks for the winter...so got a pair slightly bigger. But I did find a shoe repair guy who could probably build up the arch for me for less money than buying another pair...the things we go through!

what do you know about Birk's insoles? I looked them up on their web site...I haven't been able to determine if one has a higher arch than another...do you know?
By the way, thanks for taking the time to talk about all this with me.

john a on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012445)

Yup, that'll work. He'll probably be able to better fit them to your feet in the process. I often think that birkenstock should sell a custom sandal kit with a cork/latex mixture that hardens over time, but that you could mold to your liking before it does. Or maybe just a microwave-softenable footbed would do it.

About the birk insoles, it's hard to say. I've only tried the $60 two-piece one about six months ago, but returned them because I didn't know at the time that I could actually get used to the way they felt!

And as for taking time, we're all in this together. And it's not as if I could instead be outside walking around like crazy anyway ;-)

john a on 11/04/99 at 00:00 (012334)

No, I think I have fairly normal arches, and I'm definitely not flat-footed. I like the feel of Birks too, and Mephisto sandals. I would guess that if Birks work for you, then so will Superfeet. Do you happen to use the higher-arched Tatami line of Birks?

Vicki J on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012385)

Rats! I didn't know that Tatami line had higher arches! I just bought a new pair to break in for the winter and of course it takes forever!My twenty year old pair fit my arches perfectly, but don't fit well with socks for the winter...so got a pair slightly bigger. But I did find a shoe repair guy who could probably build up the arch for me for less money than buying another pair...the things we go through!

what do you know about Birk's insoles? I looked them up on their web site...I haven't been able to determine if one has a higher arch than another...do you know?
By the way, thanks for taking the time to talk about all this with me.

john a on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012445)

Yup, that'll work. He'll probably be able to better fit them to your feet in the process. I often think that birkenstock should sell a custom sandal kit with a cork/latex mixture that hardens over time, but that you could mold to your liking before it does. Or maybe just a microwave-softenable footbed would do it.

About the birk insoles, it's hard to say. I've only tried the $60 two-piece one about six months ago, but returned them because I didn't know at the time that I could actually get used to the way they felt!

And as for taking time, we're all in this together. And it's not as if I could instead be outside walking around like crazy anyway ;-)