Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Gordon's diet

Posted by alan k on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012378)

After reading for hours on Gordon-diet related messages, I am increasingly intrigued by his symptoms and solution.

My symptomology matches Gordon's 'atypical PF syndrome' thesis.

I have some questins about the low-carb diet:

1. in earlier posts gordon forswore diary and milk, but later talks of morning oatmeal-- is that eaten with milk? (I hope so!)

2. Also, he said nuts and seeds should be in moderation but later seems to eat them as a staple.

3. are there any good fruits?

4. are lots of beans alright?

I ask these questions of all nutrition approachers, not just gordon, though I especially think his approach might serve as a basis for others unless someone else goes into the same amount of detail.

New message boarders with general pains that get worse through the day and don't respond to regular treatment should do word searches on 'low-carb' 'leaky gut' and 'gordon' on this site.

thanks, alan k.

I think this diet might work but I have questions

Re: Gordon's diet

Sarah on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012410)

I haven't been on the board much lately, but I too think that there is some definite merit for some of us in what Gordon is saying. At the end of August, when my surgical podiatrist said that he had done all he could for me regarding my pain, I went seeking alternative help. He wanted me to consider surgery. I found a personal trainer who holds a degree in Kinesology. He has been excellent in helping my plantar faciitis heal. The first thing that he did was remove breads and cereal and pasta from my diet. He told me that breads go into your body and are stored as lactic acid in muscles which causes tightening and cramping. I saw significant improvement. Eventually he did add whole grain cereal back into my diet in the morning only. I am permitted to eat a lot of protein, low fat dairy, vegetables and fruits, and legumes. I limit nuts to once or twice per week. He did not advocate the Adtikins diet, but did encourage one higher in protein. I work out with him 2 times per week and exercise 30 minutes per day biking, walking and/or tennis. I have made significant improvements and can tell when I have eaten too much bread. I was not good last year at the height of my pain. In fact, I was a 8-9 on the pain scale and went through physical therapy and had two cortisone injections in the heel of my right foot and one in my left. My podiatrist did help me up too a certain point, but my personal trainer has brought me much further. I still experience some pain in my right foot (0-2 on the pain scale depending on activity), but in general I can walk several times a week, play tennis once a week (more than that would kill me!), and weight train twice a week. I bike on the days when my foot needs to rest. I would also like to add that my chronic sinus infections throughout the fall, winter, and spring have not plagued me as of yet. A book called Eat Right For Your Type advocated my blood type (B) to avoid wheat and boy has it helped me in more ways than one! Another good book your might want to check out is Potatoes not Prozac. Sugar is another component to this problem if you believe it is diet related. I wish you much luck.

Sarah

Gordon on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012412)

First of all, I'm no expert on any of this. It is just my opinion from observation and some logic and lots of trial and error and research. And all my jabbering isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a blabber a blabber mouth.

As far as the oatmeal goes, I use the old fashioned stuff with no milk or sugar, just water and a lot of raw seeds and nuts.
I know the oatmeal is a carb but it is not signficantly refined and is not as readily converted to sugar as other cerals that are mostly sugar anyways.

FRom the yeast killer diet it says eat nuts and seeds in moderation but I later decided that because they are mostly fat and protein I should try more and it seemed to work and I wanted to eat less meat protein.

If you test positive for Yeast then you should stay away from fruits until you get your yeast down. If not then it probably doesn't matter.

I don't know about beans.

I know this sounds disgusting but you get an indication of what is right for you by yours stools. If you have a lot of gas and loose stools then something ain't right. Before I started on this diet I was known as the fart boy. Now, I'm never gassy except when I stray from the diet. It seems that this is tied to my foot pain.
Sounds like a bunch of BS but it seems to work and it was predicted by this nutritionalist.

When I first went to see this guy I was at the end of beleiving anyone on this problem so I don't think he had the Placebo effect on his side. In fact I told him straight up I didn't trust him .

One other thing, that is very important is how you feel about your life. Are you stuck in a relationship or job or rut that is driving you to despair (PF will do this). Your attitude has a much stronger affect on your health than is given credit for. Your mind has to be on your side. Daily exercise brightens your mental outlook and is a big big help. If you don't want to exercise you haven't had it bad enough yet. If you are truly commited to solving this long term then long term lifestyle changes are needed.

This problem is just awake up call that you need to listen to. it will keep calling until you do.

I don't move forward on this problem without exercise.

In over three years I am finally starting to forget that I have a foot problem somtimes because it just about all gone.

Sarah on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012410)

I haven't been on the board much lately, but I too think that there is some definite merit for some of us in what Gordon is saying. At the end of August, when my surgical podiatrist said that he had done all he could for me regarding my pain, I went seeking alternative help. He wanted me to consider surgery. I found a personal trainer who holds a degree in Kinesology. He has been excellent in helping my plantar faciitis heal. The first thing that he did was remove breads and cereal and pasta from my diet. He told me that breads go into your body and are stored as lactic acid in muscles which causes tightening and cramping. I saw significant improvement. Eventually he did add whole grain cereal back into my diet in the morning only. I am permitted to eat a lot of protein, low fat dairy, vegetables and fruits, and legumes. I limit nuts to once or twice per week. He did not advocate the Adtikins diet, but did encourage one higher in protein. I work out with him 2 times per week and exercise 30 minutes per day biking, walking and/or tennis. I have made significant improvements and can tell when I have eaten too much bread. I was not good last year at the height of my pain. In fact, I was a 8-9 on the pain scale and went through physical therapy and had two cortisone injections in the heel of my right foot and one in my left. My podiatrist did help me up too a certain point, but my personal trainer has brought me much further. I still experience some pain in my right foot (0-2 on the pain scale depending on activity), but in general I can walk several times a week, play tennis once a week (more than that would kill me!), and weight train twice a week. I bike on the days when my foot needs to rest. I would also like to add that my chronic sinus infections throughout the fall, winter, and spring have not plagued me as of yet. A book called Eat Right For Your Type advocated my blood type (B) to avoid wheat and boy has it helped me in more ways than one! Another good book your might want to check out is Potatoes not Prozac. Sugar is another component to this problem if you believe it is diet related. I wish you much luck.

Sarah

Gordon on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012412)

First of all, I'm no expert on any of this. It is just my opinion from observation and some logic and lots of trial and error and research. And all my jabbering isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a blabber a blabber mouth.

As far as the oatmeal goes, I use the old fashioned stuff with no milk or sugar, just water and a lot of raw seeds and nuts.
I know the oatmeal is a carb but it is not signficantly refined and is not as readily converted to sugar as other cerals that are mostly sugar anyways.

FRom the yeast killer diet it says eat nuts and seeds in moderation but I later decided that because they are mostly fat and protein I should try more and it seemed to work and I wanted to eat less meat protein.

If you test positive for Yeast then you should stay away from fruits until you get your yeast down. If not then it probably doesn't matter.

I don't know about beans.

I know this sounds disgusting but you get an indication of what is right for you by yours stools. If you have a lot of gas and loose stools then something ain't right. Before I started on this diet I was known as the fart boy. Now, I'm never gassy except when I stray from the diet. It seems that this is tied to my foot pain.
Sounds like a bunch of BS but it seems to work and it was predicted by this nutritionalist.

When I first went to see this guy I was at the end of beleiving anyone on this problem so I don't think he had the Placebo effect on his side. In fact I told him straight up I didn't trust him .

One other thing, that is very important is how you feel about your life. Are you stuck in a relationship or job or rut that is driving you to despair (PF will do this). Your attitude has a much stronger affect on your health than is given credit for. Your mind has to be on your side. Daily exercise brightens your mental outlook and is a big big help. If you don't want to exercise you haven't had it bad enough yet. If you are truly commited to solving this long term then long term lifestyle changes are needed.

This problem is just awake up call that you need to listen to. it will keep calling until you do.

I don't move forward on this problem without exercise.

In over three years I am finally starting to forget that I have a foot problem somtimes because it just about all gone.