Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not sure if I have PF???

Posted by Steph P. on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012390)

I have been surfing the net today looking for info. on PF. I've read through most of the medical lit. and still am not sure if what I'm experiencing is PF. I'm not overwgt,(actually under)and have been atheletic all my life. I've done aerobics for at least ten years and just recently this past summer started doing running indoors on a treadmill. I've played soccer, tennis etc and have never experienced this type of pain. Can someone try to describe what it feels like. I have gone to a doctor and he just told me to ice, buy new shoes, take Motrin, and stretch. The pain isn't as bad as some of the individuals who have trouble standing or getting out of the bed in the morning. I hope that my problem won't become that bad. The pain I feel is in the heel of my right foot. Occasionally it will burn and tingle. I also find that I can't fully stretch out the heel. Someone at the gym told me that it could be caused by not stretching out my calves enough. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Not sure if I have PF???

I am not a doctor on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012396)

Dear Steph P.

read Scott's article, and browse HEAVILY in this message site. Try various word searches.

But MOST IMPORTANT do realize that your doctor may not realize how serious PF is. My doctor poo-pooed my admittedly very mild pains until it was too late-- now my life has completely changed, is full of pain, and getting worse if anything after five months.

I would begin all the conservative treatments right away, and ask your doctor to refer you to a podiatrist.

some conservative treatments are:
rest, for a far longer time than you might think
heating pad to warm up before getting on feet (especially in the morning), icing for up to 15 minutes after activity and/or pain, as needed.
calf stretching and toe curls, especially in the morning
bromelain as anti-inflammatory
taping, and/or over the counter inserts ('green capsule' something something have been recommended here)
possibly Birkenstock sandals/shoes
large daily doses of vitamin c, taken in 500-1000 mg a pop

You may need to aggrssively pursue these conservative treatments immediately before it is too late.

Do a word search for these in the message board
I am not a doctor and I am only summarizing information that others have provided here, and they are not doctors either.

Lee M. on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012431)

Find a good Podiatrist FAST! Do not wait, read all the tips on the board. The trick is knowing if you've found the right Dr. If you don't get any relief from his treatment quickly, get another opinion.

Rick R on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012462)

As others have suggested move fast. You may only have an infimation of the PF attachment to bone. This inflamation tells the bone that a trauma exists so the bone will do what bone does best, grow in response to the trauma. Once you grow the actual spur you face greater challenges. I have been in this mode for 16 years. For me the absolute key is arch support. Try tape. I tape around the ankle (after using a gauze first) and under the arch. Then combine with orthotics or even the off the shelf supports. Take you anti- inflamitory drug of choice (I use Advil)at night and stay off your feet. I'm not a doctor but on this topic I have learned the hard way that doctors in general don't have a clue.

I am not a doctor on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012396)

Dear Steph P.

read Scott's article, and browse HEAVILY in this message site. Try various word searches.

But MOST IMPORTANT do realize that your doctor may not realize how serious PF is. My doctor poo-pooed my admittedly very mild pains until it was too late-- now my life has completely changed, is full of pain, and getting worse if anything after five months.

I would begin all the conservative treatments right away, and ask your doctor to refer you to a podiatrist.

some conservative treatments are:
rest, for a far longer time than you might think
heating pad to warm up before getting on feet (especially in the morning), icing for up to 15 minutes after activity and/or pain, as needed.
calf stretching and toe curls, especially in the morning
bromelain as anti-inflammatory
taping, and/or over the counter inserts ('green capsule' something something have been recommended here)
possibly Birkenstock sandals/shoes
large daily doses of vitamin c, taken in 500-1000 mg a pop

You may need to aggrssively pursue these conservative treatments immediately before it is too late.

Do a word search for these in the message board
I am not a doctor and I am only summarizing information that others have provided here, and they are not doctors either.

Lee M. on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012431)

Find a good Podiatrist FAST! Do not wait, read all the tips on the board. The trick is knowing if you've found the right Dr. If you don't get any relief from his treatment quickly, get another opinion.

Rick R on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012462)

As others have suggested move fast. You may only have an infimation of the PF attachment to bone. This inflamation tells the bone that a trauma exists so the bone will do what bone does best, grow in response to the trauma. Once you grow the actual spur you face greater challenges. I have been in this mode for 16 years. For me the absolute key is arch support. Try tape. I tape around the ankle (after using a gauze first) and under the arch. Then combine with orthotics or even the off the shelf supports. Take you anti- inflamitory drug of choice (I use Advil)at night and stay off your feet. I'm not a doctor but on this topic I have learned the hard way that doctors in general don't have a clue.