Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any runners out there with PF?

Posted by Annette G on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012398)

Are there any runners out there with PF? I think that I am finally facing the fact that I have to stop running, I am completly devistated, I have been running for years and I am very competitive. Is there any hope that I will be able to run again, pain free? I have had PF for about 8 months now. I am still hoping that I will be able to run in the Boston Marathon in April, I keep telling myself if I stay off my feet for a few months, than maybe it will heal. I have cut my running down to 30 miles a week, but I now realize that I am going to have to stop, because I am in so much pain, it never goes away. I would be happy to hear your input on this matter.
Thanks,
Annette

Re: Any runners out there with PF?

john h on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012400)

there are are a lot of us out here who 'were' runners. I sure would not be trying any marathon with PF. You just might make it chronic and then wooo be to you. Rest, ice, stretch and get it under control before it takes control of you. on the upbeat side- Carl Lewis had surgery for PF and came back to world class status. Read all the post here on this board and heed.

Dave E on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012403)

I have run going on 20 years. I have had PF going on 2 years. A year ago it was bad enough that I went to the doctor and had taping etc. and orthotics. I didn't go back as I felt like he was just keeping me coming. He said he could try several more things. Anyway, I quit running for 4 months and that didn't really seem to help so I went back to running around ten miles a week. I stretch a couple minutes twice a day and wear my orthotics and wear some birkenstock sandals in the evenings. I take motrin before I run and some other times. I guess I am lucky as only my right foot bothers me. I keep thinking that it will go away sometime.

Annette on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012408)

I just never realized that it was that serious, Ijust want to cry.
I have been running for 20 years, and have never enjoyed it as much as now,I am faster and better than I have ever been, I don't want to give it up,I dont want to stop, it is such a big part of my life,My biggest passion. I am devistated.
Annette

mary a on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012416)

hang in there....my husband had a bad case of PF and was a marathon runner....he stretched the h--- out of his calves, did ice rolls (the old juice can thing) and took ibuprofen religiously for five weeks.....it got better......he cut back on running and had to skip the next marathon,,,,but he returned to do Boston last year.....just don't overdue it....i'm actually nursing a small PF problem now myself....did four half marathons since april and probably stressed it....i'll follow his regime for a few weeks to see what happens

Carol on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012417)

I can totally relate. I have cried a lot! Racing is my passion. All my friends are into the racing. I can't imagine life without it! There are friends who have had PF before and are back to the running and racing circuit. I would feel better about it if I were one of those that will come back someday. If that were the case, I'd be much happier and patient about the whole thing.

Randy on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012418)

It's been almost a year since I stopped running. My PF has improved a lot. Wear Birks around the house and have various custom orthotics which I wear in my shoes. I miss the running SOOO much, but have come to accept that regular stationary cycling at least keeps me in some aerobic shape (and controls my weight). I do a little on a treadmill off and on, but unfortunately it seems to make the problem flare up! It has been quite a year--additionally I'm adjusting to a shoulder problem (some spuring and who know's?) which has kept me from any weight training...probably going to have some surgery for that soon...otherwise life is great...!

Randy on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012419)

Just an addtion--I felt so angry at first--(probably still do, but not so bad)--here I'm doing something good and healthy for me and my body which I loved to do--then my stupid foot fails me and I can't do the running anymore...

Stuart B on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012459)

It is devistating, but please give up or cut back on the running before it gets really bad. I had a manual job as well as running and now I find just walking very painful. On the plus side I do loads of swimming and was missing walking in the countryside so much I have taken up river swimming. My wife walks along the bank and I swim down the river. It's lovely! Do listen to your pain, I didn,t! Try not to be too down there is still joy and beauty in the world and people who care.

john h on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012400)

there are are a lot of us out here who 'were' runners. I sure would not be trying any marathon with PF. You just might make it chronic and then wooo be to you. Rest, ice, stretch and get it under control before it takes control of you. on the upbeat side- Carl Lewis had surgery for PF and came back to world class status. Read all the post here on this board and heed.

Dave E on 11/06/99 at 00:00 (012403)

I have run going on 20 years. I have had PF going on 2 years. A year ago it was bad enough that I went to the doctor and had taping etc. and orthotics. I didn't go back as I felt like he was just keeping me coming. He said he could try several more things. Anyway, I quit running for 4 months and that didn't really seem to help so I went back to running around ten miles a week. I stretch a couple minutes twice a day and wear my orthotics and wear some birkenstock sandals in the evenings. I take motrin before I run and some other times. I guess I am lucky as only my right foot bothers me. I keep thinking that it will go away sometime.

Annette on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012408)

I just never realized that it was that serious, Ijust want to cry.
I have been running for 20 years, and have never enjoyed it as much as now,I am faster and better than I have ever been, I don't want to give it up,I dont want to stop, it is such a big part of my life,My biggest passion. I am devistated.
Annette

mary a on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012416)

hang in there....my husband had a bad case of PF and was a marathon runner....he stretched the h--- out of his calves, did ice rolls (the old juice can thing) and took ibuprofen religiously for five weeks.....it got better......he cut back on running and had to skip the next marathon,,,,but he returned to do Boston last year.....just don't overdue it....i'm actually nursing a small PF problem now myself....did four half marathons since april and probably stressed it....i'll follow his regime for a few weeks to see what happens

Carol on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012417)

I can totally relate. I have cried a lot! Racing is my passion. All my friends are into the racing. I can't imagine life without it! There are friends who have had PF before and are back to the running and racing circuit. I would feel better about it if I were one of those that will come back someday. If that were the case, I'd be much happier and patient about the whole thing.

Randy on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012418)

It's been almost a year since I stopped running. My PF has improved a lot. Wear Birks around the house and have various custom orthotics which I wear in my shoes. I miss the running SOOO much, but have come to accept that regular stationary cycling at least keeps me in some aerobic shape (and controls my weight). I do a little on a treadmill off and on, but unfortunately it seems to make the problem flare up! It has been quite a year--additionally I'm adjusting to a shoulder problem (some spuring and who know's?) which has kept me from any weight training...probably going to have some surgery for that soon...otherwise life is great...!

Randy on 11/07/99 at 00:00 (012419)

Just an addtion--I felt so angry at first--(probably still do, but not so bad)--here I'm doing something good and healthy for me and my body which I loved to do--then my stupid foot fails me and I can't do the running anymore...

Stuart B on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012459)

It is devistating, but please give up or cut back on the running before it gets really bad. I had a manual job as well as running and now I find just walking very painful. On the plus side I do loads of swimming and was missing walking in the countryside so much I have taken up river swimming. My wife walks along the bank and I swim down the river. It's lovely! Do listen to your pain, I didn,t! Try not to be too down there is still joy and beauty in the world and people who care.