Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Massage Device / Hand Massage / Cure

Posted by Lee M. on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012424)

After approx 2 years I'm free of the pain of pf. I had the heel spur pain since last October. I have no heel pain at all, but the spur is still there. So that would explain why removal of the spur sometimes does not help. My therapist believes that it's the veins/vessels that lead to it that creates the problem. Lack of circulation. It makes since to me because when I got the pf (mostly pain in the balls of my feet) I became completely inactive. The orthodics cured the original pain, but a few months later horrible pain from the spur in my heel.
Anyway, I'll repeat what I posted a couple of weeks ago because I now have happy feet again. Now I only do the massage with either my hands, heavy thumb pressure, or I use the 'Thumper' after my shower in the am. In the eveing I soak my feet in hot epson salt water (or put them on heating pad) and then the thumper for about 5 minutes. It feels great I even do my good foot. Because I have no pain now I consider the massage and heat just maintenance.
The Thumper is a hand held massage device I bought at a store called Brookstone (calif). Its complete name is (Thumper Mini-Pro).
There is a copy of it at Costco. It is not the same brand and is not as strong. The reason I switched to a device was because my hands got so tired, I could not do 20 minutes of intense massage like I was having at the physical therapist 3 x a week. (2 months) I can not express in writing what a difference this therapy made in my feet.
I do still wear my custom orthodics most of the time.
The other things I tried were, ice, stretching, herbs, vitamins, lots of anti-inflamms (haven't had any since sept, they didn't help anyway),
chiro, 4 different Dr's, expensive shoes (Mephisto's the best), ointments (piroxicam the best), Acupunture (ran out of insurance $$ before it helped), weight loss (lost 25 # on low carb), rest, crying, praying, denial (Dr. Sarno) . In short I've spent a fortune in the last year only to finally find that a cheap heating pad and my thumbs have worked the best.
P.S. The thumper is about $200.00. I did not buy it for my feet, I had bought it for my husband last xmas because he has lower back problems. It just seemed like it could do the same, even better than my thumbs and wouldn't get tired. Hope this post helps some of you, I am so much better mentally from not having the foot pain. I feel like I have my life back. I'm just starting to exercise again feeing pretty confidant that my foot is healed. I will keep checking in. I don't post as much as I used to because I don't spend as much time sitting any more.

Re: Massage Device / Hand Massage / Cure

jlcox on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012433)

I almost bought the mini thumper but I was afraid it was too big to use on feet. Evidently its not if you are using it. Do you think the thumper is better than a vibrating massager?

Glad to hear you're doing so much better!!!

Lee M. on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012443)

Yes, I think its better that a vibrating massager, BUT before my physical therapy I could not even touch the bottom of my foot with the thumper. So maybe less is better in the beginning. I was amazed that after 4-6 weeks of Phys Therapy that I could start to use the thumper and do really intense massage with my hands too. I think the strong vibration loosens everything up a little. Also, I'm sure that as my foot got better I started going out more and getting some blood flowing thru my body.
My heel spur was feeling alot better when I started my phys ther.
I had orthodics and was stretching, cream, ice. I never do ice anymore unless its with heat. So I wasn't at my worst when I started, but I was still desparate to get rid of the pain.

Doug P on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012470)

Could you describe this Thumper?

jlcox on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012477)

Hey Doug, the specs for the thumper can be found at http://www.brookstone.com .

jlcox on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012433)

I almost bought the mini thumper but I was afraid it was too big to use on feet. Evidently its not if you are using it. Do you think the thumper is better than a vibrating massager?

Glad to hear you're doing so much better!!!

Lee M. on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012443)

Yes, I think its better that a vibrating massager, BUT before my physical therapy I could not even touch the bottom of my foot with the thumper. So maybe less is better in the beginning. I was amazed that after 4-6 weeks of Phys Therapy that I could start to use the thumper and do really intense massage with my hands too. I think the strong vibration loosens everything up a little. Also, I'm sure that as my foot got better I started going out more and getting some blood flowing thru my body.
My heel spur was feeling alot better when I started my phys ther.
I had orthodics and was stretching, cream, ice. I never do ice anymore unless its with heat. So I wasn't at my worst when I started, but I was still desparate to get rid of the pain.

Doug P on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012470)

Could you describe this Thumper?

jlcox on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012477)

Hey Doug, the specs for the thumper can be found at http://www.brookstone.com .