Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My post from last week on running

Posted by AndreaB on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012452)

I ran a marathon over a year ago (oct '98) and developed my condition three weeks before the race. I ran it anyway. After the marathon I tried absolute rest for well over 6 months as I was in excrutiating pain (rest for me was not running I did walk my dog almost daily about a mile.) When I started to feel somewhat better I tried running again but I went out slow--2X week no more than 2-3 miles. It was going o.k. for about a month and then WHAM! I was out for the count again--pain returned intensly. I got down again thinking my feet would never feel good. About a month ago I've tried exercise again (biking, elliptical trainer, running no more than 20 minutes) and I have good days and bad days. Last Thursday I ran/elliptical trained for 35mins! and I thought I could have gone forever but I didn't--don't want to over do it.

In my opinion the bottom line is that I have accepted that I have an unusually bad injury now and deal with the fact that I will have set backs. After being a runner for over 8 years I have also accepted the fact that quite possibly I won't run 25-50 miles a week again (at least not without pain). If you are a runner you know what a big feat saying this is--it kills me but I am in a place now where I am o.k. with the fact that just being able to do SOMETHING on my feet lifts my spirits.

I am in the 'exercise camp' with PF--if you are in the 'chronic category'! I believe there comes a point where without exercise and blood flowing to tissues your body can't heal itself. Also this injury effects your mental state and if you are depressed it can also take longer for you body to heal. But my attitude has changed since my running days. I don't push myself anymore like I used to. If I am having a bad pain day, I don't over do it--sometimes I just sit on the couch. But I know now that I will have good days too when I will be up and around exercising with very little pain.

Re: My post from last week on running

AnnetteG on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012453)

but I feel like if I can not run with the intensity and the milage that I am used to doing, I am going to become very lazy and blow up like a baloon!

Re: My post from last week on running (long)

AndreaB on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012461)

Annette--I feel for you I really do. I think for a lot of runners it is truely an addiction. I swear that the 'high' I get from running can't be replaced by anything else--not biking, walking, machine exercise devices--nothing. Running has been my foe and my friend. I began running after I quit smoking at age 21. I started running 8 years ago I did it soley to lose weight (I was 5'8' and 135) I thought I was fat. When I saw how quickly the pounds melted off it became an obsession. I would run 2X/day morning and night. But mileage was not my concern I just ran for hours. With a combination of practically starving myself and running I got down to 115 lbs. The only time I felt good was when I was running or counting calories.

When I finally realized that I was sick (actually my mother brought me in screaming and kicking) I still was not willing to give up running. I began to eat and found a balance between food and 'normal' exercise behaviors. I then joined a running group to train for a marathon. I wasn;t going to run just to lose weight--I wanted a goal and actually I was smart enough to realize that I had to nourish my body in order to run a distance of 26.2 miles.

Three weeks before the marathon this '- - - -' injury occured. But of course nothing was going to keep me from running it and I did. And now I am paying the price. Now when I see people running I literally get this sick feeling in my stomach wishing I could be out there too. It kills me. But I have also been dealing with not running and pain for over 14 months now. It kind of reminds me of how it felt when I quit smoking. At first the cravings were so strong...'if I could just have one cigarette'....but eventually as time passes the cravings diminsh. I am not saying that I have given up on running, I am just saying that I am dealing with the fact that running has to be put on hold for awhile so my feet can heal!

By the way, even though I have not run more that 2-3 miles in over a year (and that was probably only 5-6 times at the most) I am still only 130lbs. Keep things in perspective your health should come first.

AnnetteG on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012466)

Thanks Andrea,
you make a lot of sence, and you are right, I just dont think that I am quite there yet, but I will be...it just has to sink in. I had been injured years ago and it took me so long to get over it and I did, but it was a bit different before, I was not able to run at all then because of that certian injury, now I still can, if I can stand the pain. I just need the will power to do the right thing now. Today was supposed to be my 10 mile run and instead I worked on a few machines at the gym(boring)and lifted, and then right before I left, like a sicko, I ran on the tread mill for 10 minutes! In pain of course!
anyway, thank you for all of your advise and I know that what you are saying is true,Ijust have to act on it.
thanks again
Annette

Re: My post from last week on running

AnnetteG on 11/08/99 at 00:00 (012453)

but I feel like if I can not run with the intensity and the milage that I am used to doing, I am going to become very lazy and blow up like a baloon!

AndreaB on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012461)

Annette--I feel for you I really do. I think for a lot of runners it is truely an addiction. I swear that the 'high' I get from running can't be replaced by anything else--not biking, walking, machine exercise devices--nothing. Running has been my foe and my friend. I began running after I quit smoking at age 21. I started running 8 years ago I did it soley to lose weight (I was 5'8' and 135) I thought I was fat. When I saw how quickly the pounds melted off it became an obsession. I would run 2X/day morning and night. But mileage was not my concern I just ran for hours. With a combination of practically starving myself and running I got down to 115 lbs. The only time I felt good was when I was running or counting calories.

When I finally realized that I was sick (actually my mother brought me in screaming and kicking) I still was not willing to give up running. I began to eat and found a balance between food and 'normal' exercise behaviors. I then joined a running group to train for a marathon. I wasn;t going to run just to lose weight--I wanted a goal and actually I was smart enough to realize that I had to nourish my body in order to run a distance of 26.2 miles.

Three weeks before the marathon this '- - - -' injury occured. But of course nothing was going to keep me from running it and I did. And now I am paying the price. Now when I see people running I literally get this sick feeling in my stomach wishing I could be out there too. It kills me. But I have also been dealing with not running and pain for over 14 months now. It kind of reminds me of how it felt when I quit smoking. At first the cravings were so strong...'if I could just have one cigarette'....but eventually as time passes the cravings diminsh. I am not saying that I have given up on running, I am just saying that I am dealing with the fact that running has to be put on hold for awhile so my feet can heal!

By the way, even though I have not run more that 2-3 miles in over a year (and that was probably only 5-6 times at the most) I am still only 130lbs. Keep things in perspective your health should come first.

AnnetteG on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012466)

Thanks Andrea,
you make a lot of sence, and you are right, I just dont think that I am quite there yet, but I will be...it just has to sink in. I had been injured years ago and it took me so long to get over it and I did, but it was a bit different before, I was not able to run at all then because of that certian injury, now I still can, if I can stand the pain. I just need the will power to do the right thing now. Today was supposed to be my 10 mile run and instead I worked on a few machines at the gym(boring)and lifted, and then right before I left, like a sicko, I ran on the tread mill for 10 minutes! In pain of course!
anyway, thank you for all of your advise and I know that what you are saying is true,Ijust have to act on it.
thanks again
Annette