Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will Doctor give a Cortisone Shot?

Posted by JANET J on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012464)

Will a Foot Doc give a patient a Cortisone shot at the request of a patient who walks in from the street? I am working with an HMO and was told by my Primary 'Care' Doc that I would be referred to a Podiatry Doc in about 3 weeks. I've been suffering with PF for the past year and in the last 2 days my PF has been killing me!! It throbs and burns horribly even with the ice, heel lifts, motrin, etc. My doc told me she couldn't give me a cortisone shot but offered to give me pain pills for the next 3 weeks till I can see the Foot Doctor--I'm dying here!! I had PF and a heel spur in my other foot a few years ago. I was given cortisone shots and it really helped the pain. Now I've gotta wait 3 weeks? I want to just go into a Podiatry clinic and ask for a shot to hold me over--will they do that?? I'm desperate! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Will Doctor give a Cortisone Shot?

Martha B. on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012465)

You asked for it-I suggest you read past postings re the cortisone shots and DONT DO IT!!!!!Do as I now say do, not as I did-I had 4 in one foot and 3 in the other and very little pain relief-THIS WAS PRIOR TO FINDING THIS BOARD.Have you tried Vioxx??That is the only anti inflam that helped me.I had orthotripsy Sept 17 and only take tylenol as needed.Happy to report that I am greatly improved!!!!

Becky R. on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012467)

DON'T go for the injection - can cause permanent damage and is not a cure. You can get as much relief from oral medications. Try to find any podiatrist to see sooner than 3 weeks. If not possible, take the advice of your regular MD, rest the foot, and read the info on this website. Good luck.

Becky

Dan W on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012468)

In response to your question. I was in a similar situation, and was given one shot that releived about fifty percent of my pain. I was sent back to work, working long hours, the pain returned and was worse than before. I asked the Doctor to give me another not knowing that there was a downside. Ten days later, while I was working I bent down to pick something up off the floor, and my foot fractured. It was more like exploded. I believe that my fasciia ruptured at the same time that it fractured underneath an artery nerve which goes to the front pads of my feet. The nerves became entrapped causing neuromas to form. My foot bled out into my fasciia creating a two inch by four inch black bruise on the bottom of my foot. By this time I could not walk without excruciating pain. My HMO ortopedic surgeon dismissed it as popping a joint out of wack. I then was not diagnosed correctly until four months after the accident, when a bone scan revealed the fracture. I was then casted for six weeks, but I had already acquired a condition called RSD which was even worse than all the injuries that I had endured. Now one and a half years after the shot I am still in the RSD pain, along with residual PF, neuromas, making life a living hell. Everything is gone, nothing of my previous productive happy life remains. So when I see a post like yours it makes me want to scream. Take this advice, if you value your foot do not get corti-co steroid shots, no matter how much the PF hurts. Take time off, stop doing what it is thats creating the pain in the first place. Beware.

Bea K on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012469)

Amen.

wendyw on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012473)

The messages below to you are right on target regarding the shot. DON'T!! Can your HMO refer you to an orthopedic doctor rather than a podiatrist? I'm sure there are good podiatrists, but I sure got messed up by a not-so-good one and have been working with an orthopedic doc since July with pretty good success. Short of the cortisone shots or fascia surgery, the podiatrists offer little more than you will find suggested on Scott's boards.

Martha B. on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012465)

You asked for it-I suggest you read past postings re the cortisone shots and DONT DO IT!!!!!Do as I now say do, not as I did-I had 4 in one foot and 3 in the other and very little pain relief-THIS WAS PRIOR TO FINDING THIS BOARD.Have you tried Vioxx??That is the only anti inflam that helped me.I had orthotripsy Sept 17 and only take tylenol as needed.Happy to report that I am greatly improved!!!!

Becky R. on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012467)

DON'T go for the injection - can cause permanent damage and is not a cure. You can get as much relief from oral medications. Try to find any podiatrist to see sooner than 3 weeks. If not possible, take the advice of your regular MD, rest the foot, and read the info on this website. Good luck.

Becky

Dan W on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012468)

In response to your question. I was in a similar situation, and was given one shot that releived about fifty percent of my pain. I was sent back to work, working long hours, the pain returned and was worse than before. I asked the Doctor to give me another not knowing that there was a downside. Ten days later, while I was working I bent down to pick something up off the floor, and my foot fractured. It was more like exploded. I believe that my fasciia ruptured at the same time that it fractured underneath an artery nerve which goes to the front pads of my feet. The nerves became entrapped causing neuromas to form. My foot bled out into my fasciia creating a two inch by four inch black bruise on the bottom of my foot. By this time I could not walk without excruciating pain. My HMO ortopedic surgeon dismissed it as popping a joint out of wack. I then was not diagnosed correctly until four months after the accident, when a bone scan revealed the fracture. I was then casted for six weeks, but I had already acquired a condition called RSD which was even worse than all the injuries that I had endured. Now one and a half years after the shot I am still in the RSD pain, along with residual PF, neuromas, making life a living hell. Everything is gone, nothing of my previous productive happy life remains. So when I see a post like yours it makes me want to scream. Take this advice, if you value your foot do not get corti-co steroid shots, no matter how much the PF hurts. Take time off, stop doing what it is thats creating the pain in the first place. Beware.

Bea K on 11/09/99 at 00:00 (012469)

Amen.

wendyw on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012473)

The messages below to you are right on target regarding the shot. DON'T!! Can your HMO refer you to an orthopedic doctor rather than a podiatrist? I'm sure there are good podiatrists, but I sure got messed up by a not-so-good one and have been working with an orthopedic doc since July with pretty good success. Short of the cortisone shots or fascia surgery, the podiatrists offer little more than you will find suggested on Scott's boards.