Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello Stuart!

Posted by Melody on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012494)

Hello Stuart,

Yes I am in the UK!!!

Have had PF for 6 months now and am getting truely sick of it! My GP wants to do an injection which after reading all this on here I am not going to have!!!

I would like to be able to rest my foot and not work, but I have had several weeks off this year already because of pain in my hand and I know my boss would not be happy if I had any more time off.

I have read on here about people ending up on crutches:(( I am praying that mine just goes spontaneously 'cos I can't use crutches!!

What treatment (if any) have you had? Did you just go to your GP or a podiatrist? Did you just pick one out of the yellow pages??? Just being nosey!!!!LOL

Melody

Re: Hello Stuart!

Stuart B on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012497)

Hi Melody, first off I'm in the Cotswolds near Cheltenham and you are the first person I know who knows what my feet feel like! Phew, it's a relief just be able to swap notes. Ok then, my feet, where do I start. Running, working in a manual job for a while lifting fruit and veg at Waitrose. As for treatment, I've had it for about 2 years. Tried rest, had cortisone injections from a Orthapedic surgeon recommended by my GP, paid for on insurance- 10% improvement, not too painful to do. Ended up about 3 months ago having surgery in my right foot about 60% improvement. 3 weeks in plaster using crutches though. I was not able to rest when I first got PF and was lifting 5 - 10 tons of fruit and veg every day, so worked though the pain - HOW STUPID!! Taping helps a lot and vit C etc. How are your hands?

Melody on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012498)

Stuart,

I feel like a beginner with only having had PF for 6 months!! Only went to the GP two weeks ago ---real fear of being told it would be permentant so put off going for ages!!! I know that sounds really stupid!

I am an infant teacher so am on my feet all day, every day!

At the minute I am wearing trainers with heal lifts and stretching the calf muscles. Hope that these measure will make it all go away!! I am beginning to think that I HAVE to do something to get rid of the awful pain:(

I have a rare, and horribly painful bone disease in my wrist. I have had it for 16 years and it has left me with a real fear of doctors and hospitals! I am praying that I wont need to get on that wagon with the feet!!!

Have you recovered from the surgery on your foot? When I had my hand done it took over a year before I could do anything with it! My understanding of surgery is probably a very tainted one!

I hope you are resting now if that is what you have been told to do!!

Stuart B on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012520)

Hello again Melody,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about painful wrist prob. Your job must be a real problem with your PF. I use Naproxen anti-inflamatory pills which helps with the heel pain.
My surgery is coming along and seems to be a really neat job. I am waiting a further 2 months before I go back to see the surgeon. It is encouraging to think it could go on healing for a year. Even more encouraging is finding out from this site that Carl Lewis had the same operation and got back to world class competion! Fantastic.

My business as a self employed graphic designer is good so it means I can rest my feet without lugging spuds around! Do take care with your heels and keep chatting, it helps me so be able to share this. My GP was shocked at how bad my PF became. If you want my email address I will put it in the next message.

Melody on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012540)

Stuart,

Glad to hear that the surgery went so well. Hope you continue tog et better.

I am wearing trainers at work all the time and that seems to be helping. I could really do with a few weeks of and rest copletely but I know I would not do that even if I were at home!

I take pain killers every day for my hand which stop my feet from aching too for a while. Trouble is when the pain killers wear off the pain comes back. I have a TENS for my hand which is on all the time but I can't spare it to go on the feet too!!! Perhaps if I plugged it into the mains it would work on hands and feet??!!!LOL

Would love your email and then I will write properly.

Mel

Stuart B on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012553)

Hi Mel,
seems there are more of us PFers in the UK than I thought. Isn't obsurd when you think you must be the only one with this odd-ball condition. Read about you slipping off the step, LOL. I do the weirdest things as well, like Yoga sitting down and at a recent wedding reception I was actually dancing sitting down LOL. You have to laugh!!
My email is (email removed) look forward to hearing from you.

It is a lovely day today!

Stuart B on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012497)

Hi Melody, first off I'm in the Cotswolds near Cheltenham and you are the first person I know who knows what my feet feel like! Phew, it's a relief just be able to swap notes. Ok then, my feet, where do I start. Running, working in a manual job for a while lifting fruit and veg at Waitrose. As for treatment, I've had it for about 2 years. Tried rest, had cortisone injections from a Orthapedic surgeon recommended by my GP, paid for on insurance- 10% improvement, not too painful to do. Ended up about 3 months ago having surgery in my right foot about 60% improvement. 3 weeks in plaster using crutches though. I was not able to rest when I first got PF and was lifting 5 - 10 tons of fruit and veg every day, so worked though the pain - HOW STUPID!! Taping helps a lot and vit C etc. How are your hands?

Melody on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012498)

Stuart,

I feel like a beginner with only having had PF for 6 months!! Only went to the GP two weeks ago ---real fear of being told it would be permentant so put off going for ages!!! I know that sounds really stupid!

I am an infant teacher so am on my feet all day, every day!

At the minute I am wearing trainers with heal lifts and stretching the calf muscles. Hope that these measure will make it all go away!! I am beginning to think that I HAVE to do something to get rid of the awful pain:(

I have a rare, and horribly painful bone disease in my wrist. I have had it for 16 years and it has left me with a real fear of doctors and hospitals! I am praying that I wont need to get on that wagon with the feet!!!

Have you recovered from the surgery on your foot? When I had my hand done it took over a year before I could do anything with it! My understanding of surgery is probably a very tainted one!

I hope you are resting now if that is what you have been told to do!!

Stuart B on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012520)

Hello again Melody,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about painful wrist prob. Your job must be a real problem with your PF. I use Naproxen anti-inflamatory pills which helps with the heel pain.
My surgery is coming along and seems to be a really neat job. I am waiting a further 2 months before I go back to see the surgeon. It is encouraging to think it could go on healing for a year. Even more encouraging is finding out from this site that Carl Lewis had the same operation and got back to world class competion! Fantastic.

My business as a self employed graphic designer is good so it means I can rest my feet without lugging spuds around! Do take care with your heels and keep chatting, it helps me so be able to share this. My GP was shocked at how bad my PF became. If you want my email address I will put it in the next message.

Melody on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012540)

Stuart,

Glad to hear that the surgery went so well. Hope you continue tog et better.

I am wearing trainers at work all the time and that seems to be helping. I could really do with a few weeks of and rest copletely but I know I would not do that even if I were at home!

I take pain killers every day for my hand which stop my feet from aching too for a while. Trouble is when the pain killers wear off the pain comes back. I have a TENS for my hand which is on all the time but I can't spare it to go on the feet too!!! Perhaps if I plugged it into the mains it would work on hands and feet??!!!LOL

Would love your email and then I will write properly.

Mel

Stuart B on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012553)

Hi Mel,
seems there are more of us PFers in the UK than I thought. Isn't obsurd when you think you must be the only one with this odd-ball condition. Read about you slipping off the step, LOL. I do the weirdest things as well, like Yoga sitting down and at a recent wedding reception I was actually dancing sitting down LOL. You have to laugh!!
My email is (email removed) look forward to hearing from you.

It is a lovely day today!