Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has casting helped anyone?

Posted by Lee H on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012499)

I was just wondering how many people have had a cast put on and how often it helps? I have done just about everything besides casting, surgery or ossatron, so I know these are my only options left. I have a doctors appointment on Monday with a new Dr.(Dr. #4) and I want to go into prepared. I have pf in both feet so I am wondering if casting is even an option although one foot is much worse than the other. Can they cast one foot with out damaging the other more? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Lee H

Re: Has casting helped anyone?

jlcox on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012500)

I have bilateral foot pain. A podiatrist put my right foot in a soft cast--a custom job comprised of layers of felt and tape. It completely imobilized my foot. I was supposed to keep it on for 7-10 days. I removed it the day it was put on because it was excruciating to walk on. I have also used a walking cast/boot. It was far more comfortable. Also you can remove it to shower.

LucyM on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012502)

My podiatrist had me in a removable cast for 6 weeks. I feel like it helped a great deal (probably the most out of injections, orthodics, medications, physical therapy, etc) although I am still not completely healed. The cast I had put a few inches between my foot and the ground, which I tried to match with my shoe on the other foot. The unbalance in height can start affecting your back and hips. Luckily I go to a chiropractor on a regular basis, so he kept this problem from getting out of hand while I was in the cast.

caryne on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012503)

I've had a cam-walker for 6 weeks ( it's like a removable cast...I wear it all day but take off for showers and bed) I really think it has helped a lot.

Doug P on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012512)

I have PF in both feet and got a walking cast on one foot for four weeks. It didn't do a thing

Re: Has casting helped anyone? (long)

Jane N on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012522)

I found the removable cast to be the best thing I did. It was put on originally because of PF but they found a stress fracture in addition to the PF which meant I had to wear it longer. After 3 weeks I didn't feel any difference with the casted foot and the other foot (which also had PF but not as bad) was beginning to bother me more. My pod. then put me on crutches and had me 'walking' with them to take some of the pressure off both feet. After 4 weeks with crutches I was weaned off them a little each day for a week then on the 9th week I was weaned off the removable cast (boot). Some things to keep in mind that I found helpful: 1. Make sure that the footwear you use on the uncasted foot brings you as close as possible to the same height as the casted foot so it doesn't throw your hips/back off. 2. The only time I took the cast off was to shower. I even wore it at night. This way the plantar fascia had time to continue healing without being stressed. 2. The weaning off the cast gradually (over a week's time)helped the foot adjust more easily. This was definately an advantage of having a removable cast. 3. Choose your footwear wisely when the cast is off. My shoes are all rubber soled and have good shock absorption. I wouldn't say I was 100% yet but I can definately see the road to recovery. I honestly think that PF is something you will deal with the rest of your life but if it just means stretching a lot, icing when overused and being careful with the shoes I buy I can live with that. I wish you luck. Hope you find something that works for you! :)

Jennh on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012526)

I had a cast on for 6 weeks. A fiberglass, cannot remove, cannot get wet, walk on crutches and put no weight on the foot at all cast. I really think it made my problem worse. I finally went and had the ossatron performed in July and I've just started running again. (once a week) I am not pain free, but it is 90% better better than before.

Lee H on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012556)

Sounds like casting is like all the other treatments for PF, works for some, not for others. Thanks to all for the info. What kind of shoe can you wear that would keep both feet at the same height?

Lucy M on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012678)

My reebox DMX was close to the same height. I also had a slip on sandal-type shoe that was just about perfect. It probably depends on the type of cast. I would just try the different shoes you have and see which one is closest.

jlcox on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012500)

I have bilateral foot pain. A podiatrist put my right foot in a soft cast--a custom job comprised of layers of felt and tape. It completely imobilized my foot. I was supposed to keep it on for 7-10 days. I removed it the day it was put on because it was excruciating to walk on. I have also used a walking cast/boot. It was far more comfortable. Also you can remove it to shower.

LucyM on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012502)

My podiatrist had me in a removable cast for 6 weeks. I feel like it helped a great deal (probably the most out of injections, orthodics, medications, physical therapy, etc) although I am still not completely healed. The cast I had put a few inches between my foot and the ground, which I tried to match with my shoe on the other foot. The unbalance in height can start affecting your back and hips. Luckily I go to a chiropractor on a regular basis, so he kept this problem from getting out of hand while I was in the cast.

caryne on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012503)

I've had a cam-walker for 6 weeks ( it's like a removable cast...I wear it all day but take off for showers and bed) I really think it has helped a lot.

Doug P on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012512)

I have PF in both feet and got a walking cast on one foot for four weeks. It didn't do a thing

Re: Has casting helped anyone? (long)

Jane N on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012522)

I found the removable cast to be the best thing I did. It was put on originally because of PF but they found a stress fracture in addition to the PF which meant I had to wear it longer. After 3 weeks I didn't feel any difference with the casted foot and the other foot (which also had PF but not as bad) was beginning to bother me more. My pod. then put me on crutches and had me 'walking' with them to take some of the pressure off both feet. After 4 weeks with crutches I was weaned off them a little each day for a week then on the 9th week I was weaned off the removable cast (boot). Some things to keep in mind that I found helpful: 1. Make sure that the footwear you use on the uncasted foot brings you as close as possible to the same height as the casted foot so it doesn't throw your hips/back off. 2. The only time I took the cast off was to shower. I even wore it at night. This way the plantar fascia had time to continue healing without being stressed. 2. The weaning off the cast gradually (over a week's time)helped the foot adjust more easily. This was definately an advantage of having a removable cast. 3. Choose your footwear wisely when the cast is off. My shoes are all rubber soled and have good shock absorption. I wouldn't say I was 100% yet but I can definately see the road to recovery. I honestly think that PF is something you will deal with the rest of your life but if it just means stretching a lot, icing when overused and being careful with the shoes I buy I can live with that. I wish you luck. Hope you find something that works for you! :)

Jennh on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012526)

I had a cast on for 6 weeks. A fiberglass, cannot remove, cannot get wet, walk on crutches and put no weight on the foot at all cast. I really think it made my problem worse. I finally went and had the ossatron performed in July and I've just started running again. (once a week) I am not pain free, but it is 90% better better than before.

Lee H on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012556)

Sounds like casting is like all the other treatments for PF, works for some, not for others. Thanks to all for the info. What kind of shoe can you wear that would keep both feet at the same height?

Lucy M on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012678)

My reebox DMX was close to the same height. I also had a slip on sandal-type shoe that was just about perfect. It probably depends on the type of cast. I would just try the different shoes you have and see which one is closest.