Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone had Ultrasound as a Treatment?

Posted by Becky R. on 11/10/99 at 00:00 (012513)

Hello to all,
I am receiving physical therapy and part of the treatment is 5 minutes of ultrasound on each foot. Today was the third treatment. The other two did not cause pain but today about half way through I began to have a throbbing pain and the therapist had to reduce the setting. Tonight my foot is very sore. Has this happened to anyone else? Could the ultrasound possible cause this? Thanks for any info.
Becky

Re: Anyone had Ultrasound as a Treatment?

Lee M. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012517)

I did have the same kind of treatment. My foot was never sore and the ultrasound never hurt. After the ultrasound I had 30 min of massage, if you had the same maybe the massage was to rough?
If not I would definitely question the ultrasound. But don't give up, it really helped me.

Jane N. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012523)

I had ultra sound during Physical Therapy plus the massage and some type of electrical current thing. I don't know which it was or maybe it was the combination of all but it made my problem worse instead of better. My doctor ended pulling me out of Physical Therapy. I know it works for some, but not for me!

Laur R. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012525)

Hi ,Yes it also made my foot throb when they do the ultrasound just a little bit.the therapist told me the reason is because it is to break up the soft tissue in the plantar fascia and the scare tissue.To me it feels like the pain I always get I can't handel the ultra sound to high they always have to turn it down.Hang in their!!!!!!! If it hurts more let the therapist know .......

Laur R on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012527)

Hi Beckey, I forgot to ask you do they tape your foot after therapy?I feel it has helped me.It feels tight at first but if they do it right it is wonderful. Laur R.

Lee H on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012531)

Hi Becky, I also had ultrasound with no results. The night after treatment I found I was in more pain but the ultrasound was followed by massage and I think that was more of what caused the after pain. Are they doing anything else in physical therapy besides the ulatrasound? I never had pain while they were doing the ultrasound except a bit of discomfort if they rubbed too hard. Don't get discouraged because this treatment did not work for other people. Go into it optimistic and just mabey this may be the cure for you. GOOD LUCK!!!

rekha s on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012537)

I also am having ultrasound followed by painful massage, and the pt told me same thing-pain is caused by massaging tight spots and scar tissue out & promoting blood flow to that area... I am also self-massaging feet every night and using night splint and I have to say I am noticing big difference of pain especially in the morning...

Lee M. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012517)

I did have the same kind of treatment. My foot was never sore and the ultrasound never hurt. After the ultrasound I had 30 min of massage, if you had the same maybe the massage was to rough?
If not I would definitely question the ultrasound. But don't give up, it really helped me.

Jane N. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012523)

I had ultra sound during Physical Therapy plus the massage and some type of electrical current thing. I don't know which it was or maybe it was the combination of all but it made my problem worse instead of better. My doctor ended pulling me out of Physical Therapy. I know it works for some, but not for me!

Laur R. on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012525)

Hi ,Yes it also made my foot throb when they do the ultrasound just a little bit.the therapist told me the reason is because it is to break up the soft tissue in the plantar fascia and the scare tissue.To me it feels like the pain I always get I can't handel the ultra sound to high they always have to turn it down.Hang in their!!!!!!! If it hurts more let the therapist know .......

Laur R on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012527)

Hi Beckey, I forgot to ask you do they tape your foot after therapy?I feel it has helped me.It feels tight at first but if they do it right it is wonderful. Laur R.

Lee H on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012531)

Hi Becky, I also had ultrasound with no results. The night after treatment I found I was in more pain but the ultrasound was followed by massage and I think that was more of what caused the after pain. Are they doing anything else in physical therapy besides the ulatrasound? I never had pain while they were doing the ultrasound except a bit of discomfort if they rubbed too hard. Don't get discouraged because this treatment did not work for other people. Go into it optimistic and just mabey this may be the cure for you. GOOD LUCK!!!

rekha s on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012537)

I also am having ultrasound followed by painful massage, and the pt told me same thing-pain is caused by massaging tight spots and scar tissue out & promoting blood flow to that area... I am also self-massaging feet every night and using night splint and I have to say I am noticing big difference of pain especially in the morning...