Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

twinge-- still trying to decide about TTS

Posted by alan k on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012524)

Lately I have been getting a twinge under the inner ankle, mostly when flexing my foot, which feels like a toothache pain, and then is gone. The same flexion usually will not reproduce the feeling a second time, until much later.

Generally, I have been getting mild sensations under the ankles since wearing orthotics (which otherwise help slightly), and this twinge has occurred in one foot, coincidentally perhaps after starting a low-carb no sugar diet.

I get no tinnel test result except the vaguest tingling in my toe, only sometimes, only mild indistinct sensations at night, and do get general pain after standing, or even sitting wearing sneakers for too long.

Any thoughts about TTS and these symptoms, especially the twinge-- it's not like the other pains and sensations I get.

cheers, alan k

Re: twinge-- still trying to decide about TTS

alan on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012528)

having had a TTS decompression i will say that most anyone can produce a sensation if you tap hard enough on the inside of the ankle where the nerves run. i had the nerve conduction test which showed 'mild' TTS but even this test is not conclusive. the doctor told me after surgery that a large vericose vein was touching one of the nerves which made some sense in that after standing or walking for a period of time blood would pool in the vein in the foot (pooling is what a vericose vein is) and enlarge the vein causing it to press on one of the nerves in the ankle producing pain. if you have recently started wearing orthotics you could easily reposition your foot when walking thereby causing a nerve to touch something that it had not before. i think it was in the mayo clinc health letter i read recently that orthotics should not be prescribed immediately for foot pain. there is some controversey as to whether orthotics can actually make your foot worse. TTS is treated much like PF (ice and anti-inflamatory medication). i would tend to stop the orthotics for a while to see if there is any change (do wear good supportive shoes) and start iceing the ankle a few times a day. tts surgery is no walk in the park.

john h on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012529)

allan i posted the above message not allan.

alan on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012528)

having had a TTS decompression i will say that most anyone can produce a sensation if you tap hard enough on the inside of the ankle where the nerves run. i had the nerve conduction test which showed 'mild' TTS but even this test is not conclusive. the doctor told me after surgery that a large vericose vein was touching one of the nerves which made some sense in that after standing or walking for a period of time blood would pool in the vein in the foot (pooling is what a vericose vein is) and enlarge the vein causing it to press on one of the nerves in the ankle producing pain. if you have recently started wearing orthotics you could easily reposition your foot when walking thereby causing a nerve to touch something that it had not before. i think it was in the mayo clinc health letter i read recently that orthotics should not be prescribed immediately for foot pain. there is some controversey as to whether orthotics can actually make your foot worse. TTS is treated much like PF (ice and anti-inflamatory medication). i would tend to stop the orthotics for a while to see if there is any change (do wear good supportive shoes) and start iceing the ankle a few times a day. tts surgery is no walk in the park.

john h on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012529)

allan i posted the above message not allan.