Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can You Make Ibuprofen Cream?

Posted by Bobbi J on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012547)

This may sound dumb--but is it possible to make your own Ibuprofen Cream? I don't have a degree in Pharmacology--maybe someone here does--but is it possible to just grind/melt down some Ibuprofen and mix it with some foot massage cream? I'm going to give it a try just for the heck of it.

Re: Can You Make Ibuprofen Cream?

Scott R on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012549)

I've tried crushing it and putting it in DMSO. DMSO by itself works so well, it's hard to know if it works better with the ibuprofen. There are other carrier compounds, but supposedly they've figured out the ideal compounds and concentrations in the dolgit cream. I've heard other anti-inflammatory creams work. (aspercream?)

Gary M on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012615)

I had my pharmacist mix up some Ibuprofen cream. He had to order in the Ibuprofen powder (or whatever). He mixed five percent Ibuprofen into 100 grams of Base Glaxal Creme. Cost for the 100g was C$12.98

Unfortunately, the mix had no effect. Yet Ibuprofen tablets give signifiant relief - but my stomach can't handle them.

Any opinions out there on the Ibuprofen concentration of 5%?

Regards, Gary

Scott R on 11/11/99 at 00:00 (012549)

I've tried crushing it and putting it in DMSO. DMSO by itself works so well, it's hard to know if it works better with the ibuprofen. There are other carrier compounds, but supposedly they've figured out the ideal compounds and concentrations in the dolgit cream. I've heard other anti-inflammatory creams work. (aspercream?)

Gary M on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012615)

I had my pharmacist mix up some Ibuprofen cream. He had to order in the Ibuprofen powder (or whatever). He mixed five percent Ibuprofen into 100 grams of Base Glaxal Creme. Cost for the 100g was C$12.98

Unfortunately, the mix had no effect. Yet Ibuprofen tablets give signifiant relief - but my stomach can't handle them.

Any opinions out there on the Ibuprofen concentration of 5%?

Regards, Gary