Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

no improvement after months!

Posted by caryne on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012567)

I saw the podiatrist again yesterday for an orthodics fitting...no improvement. Cam-walker has helped but 'not healed' problem is there still and getting worse, the other heel is going bad. Can't wear orthodics until foot tendons are stretched out more. Going to physical therapy for intensive stretching, I'm Nsaids, already tried shots, and stretching still getting worse..any suggestion? I'm back to square one without the cast it will only get worse again...getting discouraged.

Re: no improvement after months!

Laurie R on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012570)

Hi You and I are about in the same places.How long have you had Plantar fasciitis? I have had it for 5 months now and I am no better I also go to Physical Therapy use tape and I am in a walking cast also.What did your Podiatist say when you told him you were no better?Let me know.......Laurie R. Hang in their!!!!!!! If you want to chat about this let me know I feel the same way.....

Becky R. on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012580)

Hello,
I too have been diagnosed just a short time, and have had no cure, although I have been off resting my feet for two weeks. That has made the intense pain less. Who knows what it will be like when I get back to regular activity. I am also in physical therapy, stretches, ultrasound, whirlpool, etc. It is too early to tell whether it is helping. Just hang in there, try to rest your feet as much as possible. My podiatrist told me if I could rest and be off my feet as much as possible for about 4 weeks, that some healing could occur, giving time for the physical therapy and special inserts in my shoes to work. If not, then he recommends the othotics. I am skeptical about those - sounds like a lot of people have tried them without success and at $300 that is a lot of money. Write me anytime. Thanks and good luck.
Becky in Cincinnati

Caryne on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012586)

Thanks for the notes! I'm going on almost a year...I had my lst shot last December. Since March I haven't been able to walk without severe pain. I have rested and rested to no avail. I teach and spent the whole summer off my feet and then once school started It got soooo bad and then I think that's when the stress fracture occured. LIke I said I've been there and done that to no avail. Hopefully sooner or later it will go away.

Rick R on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012668)

Your comments about getting symptoms in what was the good foot corroborate an opinion that I have developed in my 16 years of PF experience. I believe the inactivity at some point causes more harm than good. I took it easy for the first 9 or so years of PF while shopping for a doctor that would take a serious and scientific approach. Never tried the shots but did about everything else. My spur was quite significant on the X-ray but the Dr's I consulted didn't want to cut. I figured if I had to make it worse to get something done then so be it. I did the counterintuitive and started running again. I taped up and wrapped in an arch support with an ace bandage, wore nike air running shoes and went to it running on the balls of my feet as though I had a tack in the heels. To my surprise, it got better. I messed up big time while coaching baseball and let myself do too much without tape etc.. I went back in to see what I had accomplished and son of a gun my bouncing baby spur had grown to proportions that couldn't be ignored. Had surgery in 96 and that side (left)has been fine since. When I tried to get back to running 1 year after the surgery the right side gave out. It took another year of building up the right side so that I could run again. I came away beileving that the inactivity of surgery recovery caused the right PF to be vulnerable. If I knew this was a threat I would have taken aggressive precautions. That's why I feel strongly about the information exchange on this site.

Good luck!!

Rick

Laurie R on 11/12/99 at 00:00 (012570)

Hi You and I are about in the same places.How long have you had Plantar fasciitis? I have had it for 5 months now and I am no better I also go to Physical Therapy use tape and I am in a walking cast also.What did your Podiatist say when you told him you were no better?Let me know.......Laurie R. Hang in their!!!!!!! If you want to chat about this let me know I feel the same way.....

Becky R. on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012580)

Hello,
I too have been diagnosed just a short time, and have had no cure, although I have been off resting my feet for two weeks. That has made the intense pain less. Who knows what it will be like when I get back to regular activity. I am also in physical therapy, stretches, ultrasound, whirlpool, etc. It is too early to tell whether it is helping. Just hang in there, try to rest your feet as much as possible. My podiatrist told me if I could rest and be off my feet as much as possible for about 4 weeks, that some healing could occur, giving time for the physical therapy and special inserts in my shoes to work. If not, then he recommends the othotics. I am skeptical about those - sounds like a lot of people have tried them without success and at $300 that is a lot of money. Write me anytime. Thanks and good luck.
Becky in Cincinnati

Caryne on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012586)

Thanks for the notes! I'm going on almost a year...I had my lst shot last December. Since March I haven't been able to walk without severe pain. I have rested and rested to no avail. I teach and spent the whole summer off my feet and then once school started It got soooo bad and then I think that's when the stress fracture occured. LIke I said I've been there and done that to no avail. Hopefully sooner or later it will go away.

Rick R on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012668)

Your comments about getting symptoms in what was the good foot corroborate an opinion that I have developed in my 16 years of PF experience. I believe the inactivity at some point causes more harm than good. I took it easy for the first 9 or so years of PF while shopping for a doctor that would take a serious and scientific approach. Never tried the shots but did about everything else. My spur was quite significant on the X-ray but the Dr's I consulted didn't want to cut. I figured if I had to make it worse to get something done then so be it. I did the counterintuitive and started running again. I taped up and wrapped in an arch support with an ace bandage, wore nike air running shoes and went to it running on the balls of my feet as though I had a tack in the heels. To my surprise, it got better. I messed up big time while coaching baseball and let myself do too much without tape etc.. I went back in to see what I had accomplished and son of a gun my bouncing baby spur had grown to proportions that couldn't be ignored. Had surgery in 96 and that side (left)has been fine since. When I tried to get back to running 1 year after the surgery the right side gave out. It took another year of building up the right side so that I could run again. I came away beileving that the inactivity of surgery recovery caused the right PF to be vulnerable. If I knew this was a threat I would have taken aggressive precautions. That's why I feel strongly about the information exchange on this site.

Good luck!!

Rick