Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: a minor point on bromelain

Posted by Robin B. on 11/13/99 at 00:00 (012584)

Just a little clarification on bromelain (since I am one who has found big-time relief with it).

Bromelain is not an herbal treatment. Bromelain is a pancreatic enzyme that is used often (along with meals) to aid digestion. The enzyme itself is extracted from the pineapple plant.

When bromelain is taken between meals on a fairly empty stomach, some people (like me) benefit from an anti-inflammatory effect. What appeals to me most about bromelain (aside from the pain relief) is that it is neither a prescription drug (even a cox-2 inhibitor) nor an herbal treatment. It's a digestive aid.

There have been people on this board who have also found great relief with pancreatin, another of the digestive enzymes.

VickiJ on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012635)

How much of the bromelain do you take? And how quickly does it help... I'm at a point where I can walk without crutches again, but I do need an anti-inflammatory often...does it work 'when you need it' or is it something that has to be taken for a few days before you feel relief?

Marti C on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012644)

Is this better than the Pancreatin?

VickiJ on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012635)

How much of the bromelain do you take? And how quickly does it help... I'm at a point where I can walk without crutches again, but I do need an anti-inflammatory often...does it work 'when you need it' or is it something that has to be taken for a few days before you feel relief?

Marti C on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012644)

Is this better than the Pancreatin?