Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: social worker to nurse

Posted by jlcox on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012621)

I can totally understand what you're going through. I am a medical social worker. I work in a large teaching hospital on med/surg--well, used to. My pain got so bad that I started using a scooter to get around at work. Even with my scooter, however, there was a certain amount of walking that I had to do. The upshot is that I couldn't do it anymore because the pain was so bad. I'd go home at night and have to crawl on my hands and knees around the house because my feet were killing me. Currently I'm working in an outpatient clinic (lung transplant) for 20 hours/week. It doesn't require as much walking around and the clinic is carpeted--aaaahhhhhh! I continue to use my scooter as needed.

FYI, my insurance company paid for my scooter at 100%. My orthopod ordered it. Also, have you checked into outpatient work or doing utilization review? A nurse that I know does UR at my hospital and she spends most of her time at her desk on the phone and going to team meetings.

As for my feet pain, I don't qualify for Ossatron treatment because my facias measure within normal limits. Dr. Galea ordered a bilateral MRI (something I've been begging American Docs for for years), which is scheduled for mid December. Hopefully, it will reveal the source of my pain.

Hang in there.