Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

when should I ice or heat my foot

Posted by Annette on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012628)

I understand that after an injury, you are supposed to ice, and then maybe later on heat, but I am not sure what to do with this pf. should I abe treating it like an injury and ice it as much as possible or should I be heating it as much as possible. right now I have been heating more, but still feel like I should be icing so I do that too, I am just not sure when and how much.
your help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks, Annette

Re: when should I ice or heat my foot

john h on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012630)

i always use ice 2-3 times a day if you can do it. you are trying to reduce inflamation which generally flares up each time you are up and about. this calls for ice.

troy on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012660)

gook question... i have pf and i think bursitus. ice helps the planter facia but the heat helps the bursa,and vice versa each also hurts the other?? any suggestons??

YokoS on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012669)

I do icing after non-routine activities. I step on frozen ice packs, and wrap by bandage for 15-30 min while watching TV. Recently, I found heat (electric heat pad) didn't help for my heel pain. I thought heat pad reduced pain before getting out from bed (actually it did!!) but when I think about my bad day and good day, and what I did for good day, I have a doubt to using heating pad.
When I forgot to use heat pad in early morning, my pain level is not too bad all day long. Anyway (this is in my case)
Ice helps great, but not heat!!

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012686)

a great wrap for iceing may be purchased at 'www.footexpress.com'. it is the Dura Kold ice wrap. You freeze it in the freezer and you can configure it to cool the bottom of your foot,ankle, top of your foot,etc. it stays cold for a long time, stays on your foot in any position, and is comfortable to wear. when you get to footexpress go to the button that reads 'wraps' and proceed to scroll down to the item. they have pictures. a very good site from many foot products.

john h on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012630)

i always use ice 2-3 times a day if you can do it. you are trying to reduce inflamation which generally flares up each time you are up and about. this calls for ice.

troy on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012660)

gook question... i have pf and i think bursitus. ice helps the planter facia but the heat helps the bursa,and vice versa each also hurts the other?? any suggestons??

YokoS on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012669)

I do icing after non-routine activities. I step on frozen ice packs, and wrap by bandage for 15-30 min while watching TV. Recently, I found heat (electric heat pad) didn't help for my heel pain. I thought heat pad reduced pain before getting out from bed (actually it did!!) but when I think about my bad day and good day, and what I did for good day, I have a doubt to using heating pad.
When I forgot to use heat pad in early morning, my pain level is not too bad all day long. Anyway (this is in my case)
Ice helps great, but not heat!!

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012686)

a great wrap for iceing may be purchased at 'www.footexpress.com'. it is the Dura Kold ice wrap. You freeze it in the freezer and you can configure it to cool the bottom of your foot,ankle, top of your foot,etc. it stays cold for a long time, stays on your foot in any position, and is comfortable to wear. when you get to footexpress go to the button that reads 'wraps' and proceed to scroll down to the item. they have pictures. a very good site from many foot products.