Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tinnel's sign/Ankle "twinges"/John's recovery/Orthotics making things worse

Posted by wendyn on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012639)

Glad to hear that you're doing well John H after your surgery. You mention in your post a few days ago that you feel that the Tarsal Tunnel release was 'more severe' than the fascia release. Why? Is it because it's more painful or risky? Just wondered what your thoughts were on the comparison.

We were talking about 'Tinnel's sign' a week or so ago - and I thought you may find this interesting....just spent 4 days at a mountain resort and I had a Relaxation massage. Everything was okay until she just touched and area on my inner leg a few inches up from my ankle (would be above the common Tarsal Tunnel pain area). Anyway, she just gently applied pressure there and my whole foot went numb. Really unpleasant feeling. After that she stayed away from my feet but she did comment that she could feel a lot of 'pooling' and swelling in the area above my feet.

In general my feet have been about the same. I have noticed though that I seem to have completely lost my tolerance for my orthotics. I wonder if this is because I almost always wear the Birks - maybe my feet are no longer used to them?

Can't remember who posted that they had heard orthotics can actually make a situation like this worse - if anyone has more info on this...would love to hear what you've found out.

Re: Tinnel's sign/Ankle "twinges"/John's recovery/Orthotics making things worse

Rosalind on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012662)

When I first tried to wear orthotics, it made the pain absolutely intolerable for a long time. Eventully, I was able to wear them, but now I seem to be going through a new phase, and can't wear them anymore. Perhaps a new custom orthotic would help if the foot has changed. Has anyone had any experience like this?

When I had tarsal tunnel syndrome, I also experieinced swelling at ankles which my massage therapist said felt a little like the Pillsbury dough boy. The doctor and pt said they had not seen that before. I also sometimes felt little pockets of fluid in my feet that moved around with the pain and I would massage and ice those to alleviate the pain.

wendyn on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012666)

Sounds very familiar. I had a custom pair of orthotics that I wore all the time since 2 and a half years ago. I had them 1 year before I developed TTS. In the summer I got a new pair made by someone else because I simply couldn't wear the old pair. Now I can't wear the new one's either.

I also have squishy spots on my feet and ankles - sometimes the swelling is much worse than others. Don't know what it's from. Ice does help.

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012683)

wendy i posted i had read (mayo clinc health ltr i think) that orthotics could make PF worse and should not immediately be prescribed. the tarsal tunnel release IMO is much more complicated than releasing a band of fascia from the heel. you are cutting around and very near nerves.the incision for a tarsal tunnel release is long as they are viewing the nerves from above the ankle to the edge of the foot. if a nerve is being pinched or touched the releasing of it can be a problem.i still have swelling in the area of the TTS but none where the PF release was performed. i would never let anyone but a foot an ankle surgeon perform a tarsal tunnel release. the diagnosis of TTS is not easy and not an exact science by any means. the area of the calves above the ankle and to the side of the legs in that area, i think, are tender for most people. with vigorus massage i think we would all jump.

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012684)

if you have any swelling then i suggest you wear support stockings which many pharmacies sell for about $10-$12 a pair. I wear the calf length under my regular socks. they are effect in reducing swelling during the day.

Rosalind on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012662)

When I first tried to wear orthotics, it made the pain absolutely intolerable for a long time. Eventully, I was able to wear them, but now I seem to be going through a new phase, and can't wear them anymore. Perhaps a new custom orthotic would help if the foot has changed. Has anyone had any experience like this?

When I had tarsal tunnel syndrome, I also experieinced swelling at ankles which my massage therapist said felt a little like the Pillsbury dough boy. The doctor and pt said they had not seen that before. I also sometimes felt little pockets of fluid in my feet that moved around with the pain and I would massage and ice those to alleviate the pain.

wendyn on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012666)

Sounds very familiar. I had a custom pair of orthotics that I wore all the time since 2 and a half years ago. I had them 1 year before I developed TTS. In the summer I got a new pair made by someone else because I simply couldn't wear the old pair. Now I can't wear the new one's either.

I also have squishy spots on my feet and ankles - sometimes the swelling is much worse than others. Don't know what it's from. Ice does help.

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012683)

wendy i posted i had read (mayo clinc health ltr i think) that orthotics could make PF worse and should not immediately be prescribed. the tarsal tunnel release IMO is much more complicated than releasing a band of fascia from the heel. you are cutting around and very near nerves.the incision for a tarsal tunnel release is long as they are viewing the nerves from above the ankle to the edge of the foot. if a nerve is being pinched or touched the releasing of it can be a problem.i still have swelling in the area of the TTS but none where the PF release was performed. i would never let anyone but a foot an ankle surgeon perform a tarsal tunnel release. the diagnosis of TTS is not easy and not an exact science by any means. the area of the calves above the ankle and to the side of the legs in that area, i think, are tender for most people. with vigorus massage i think we would all jump.

john h on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012684)

if you have any swelling then i suggest you wear support stockings which many pharmacies sell for about $10-$12 a pair. I wear the calf length under my regular socks. they are effect in reducing swelling during the day.