Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

one week on a low-carb, yeast-killing diet: a report

Posted by alan k on 11/14/99 at 00:00 (012646)

For those who may be interested, I have tried a low-carb/yeast-killing diet with yeast-killing herbs and assorted biotics (acidopholis + many others).

Do a word search on 'low-carb' to catch up.

My experience so far is that I got worse for three days, as was predicted by Gordon (release of 'toxins' 'die off' etc. it may be mumbo-jumbo but the pattern is eerily correct), and now over a week later I think I am definitely not worse than before I started, and maybe a tiny bit better. I will report more later.

The one unmistakable thing about it is that my mind is clearer and sharper than ever, my emotions stable with a slight tendency toward contentment, and I do not get a big crash at the end of hard days work as I always did before. This change is so remarkable that I will remain on the diet whether my feet get better or not. I never understood how much of a difference food could make, because I never restricted my diet so radically in this way. Now it makes perfect sense, since food is so central to how we keep this jalopy in motion.

In any case, I recommend this to everyone, at least as an experiment.

best wishes, alan k

Re: one week on a low-carb, yeast-killing diet: a report

Jennh on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012670)

I've been on the low-carb,anti-candida, no sugar, no white flour, no white rice, no yeast diet, no coffee for a month now. I went through the die-off for a little over a week. And youre right, I feel so much better. I don't really see any difference in my foot improving but my mental sharpness is there, I'm not taking naps anymore, I'm staying up later, getting up earlier, my skin cleared up, my joints don't ache and pop, my hair doesn't get as greasy, etc, etc. There have been so many changes that I can't believe it. I have not ever felt this good. It is truly amazing!

CAROL on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012677)

Exactly what is the 'no yeast' part? I realize all yeast breads, etc. but what about cheese, vinegars, or anything that must age?

Jennh on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012688)

All foods you cannot eat: vinegar, sugar, white flour, mayo, mustard, wine, beer, alcohol, tabasco, anything with vinegar in it, any cheese, soy sauce, miso, bread, cake, sweet rolls, fried foods, I know there is more but I just can't think of it now. Hope this helps.

alan k on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012689)

The no yeast part is the inconvenient part, while low-carb diets by themselves still leave a lot of food wide open.

My anti-yeast diet excludes all the things in the other posting here, plus wine, beer, alcohol, all wheat, rye, oat, and barley products (substitute brown and wild rice, millet, in moderation), any soy or fermented product (I think that was listed), all dairy products including cheese, mushrooms (all anti-yeast diets include this), and avoidance of dried leaves and spices and anything that can accumulate mold. Also, black pepper (for some unknown reason), and I use only pure sea salt with no additives. No aspartame, or nutrisweet. That's about all I can think of.

Anti-yeast agents, I have heard, are good to dose oneself with and then change in rotations (how long I don't know-- I'm guessing 2-3 weeks on each).

1. Pau d'arco
2. caprilyc acid
3. some others I don't remember

Marti C on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012693)

Did you buy a book about this type of diet, if so can I have the name please. Thanks

CAROL on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012716)

WHOA!!! What CAN you eat? I'm just not sure I need to do this diet, I'm just trying to cure PF. Just grasping at anything that might work. What is the major reason you are on this diet? The only complaint I have, other than PF, is fatigue and I seem to get lots of sore throats and colds (low immune system, I guess). But I think a lot of that would be better if I were happier (good feet would do the trick).

jennh on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012757)

Some good books:
The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook by Jeanne Marie Martin
The Candida Control Cookbook
The Yeast Connection by Dr William Cook
I am on the diet because I have lots of immune-system problems.
I suffer from shingles outbreaks, colds, arthritis, aches, sinus problems, and depression. I have been on NSAIDS, birth control, steriods for extended periods of time.

What I can eat:
veggies, brown rice, rice pasta, beef, chicken, pork, legumes, chili, fish, I make my own rice bread, I cook every day and on Sundays make enough food to last throughout the week. Lots of soups, stews, etc. It is very limited but I eat more food now then I ever have and I feel really good. Even my periods have gotten more tolerable. If you want you can email me at home and I can give you more info.
hearley@ibm.net

Jennh on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012670)

I've been on the low-carb,anti-candida, no sugar, no white flour, no white rice, no yeast diet, no coffee for a month now. I went through the die-off for a little over a week. And youre right, I feel so much better. I don't really see any difference in my foot improving but my mental sharpness is there, I'm not taking naps anymore, I'm staying up later, getting up earlier, my skin cleared up, my joints don't ache and pop, my hair doesn't get as greasy, etc, etc. There have been so many changes that I can't believe it. I have not ever felt this good. It is truly amazing!

CAROL on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012677)

Exactly what is the 'no yeast' part? I realize all yeast breads, etc. but what about cheese, vinegars, or anything that must age?

Jennh on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012688)

All foods you cannot eat: vinegar, sugar, white flour, mayo, mustard, wine, beer, alcohol, tabasco, anything with vinegar in it, any cheese, soy sauce, miso, bread, cake, sweet rolls, fried foods, I know there is more but I just can't think of it now. Hope this helps.

alan k on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012689)

The no yeast part is the inconvenient part, while low-carb diets by themselves still leave a lot of food wide open.

My anti-yeast diet excludes all the things in the other posting here, plus wine, beer, alcohol, all wheat, rye, oat, and barley products (substitute brown and wild rice, millet, in moderation), any soy or fermented product (I think that was listed), all dairy products including cheese, mushrooms (all anti-yeast diets include this), and avoidance of dried leaves and spices and anything that can accumulate mold. Also, black pepper (for some unknown reason), and I use only pure sea salt with no additives. No aspartame, or nutrisweet. That's about all I can think of.

Anti-yeast agents, I have heard, are good to dose oneself with and then change in rotations (how long I don't know-- I'm guessing 2-3 weeks on each).

1. Pau d'arco
2. caprilyc acid
3. some others I don't remember

Marti C on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012693)

Did you buy a book about this type of diet, if so can I have the name please. Thanks

CAROL on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012716)

WHOA!!! What CAN you eat? I'm just not sure I need to do this diet, I'm just trying to cure PF. Just grasping at anything that might work. What is the major reason you are on this diet? The only complaint I have, other than PF, is fatigue and I seem to get lots of sore throats and colds (low immune system, I guess). But I think a lot of that would be better if I were happier (good feet would do the trick).

jennh on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012757)

Some good books:
The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook by Jeanne Marie Martin
The Candida Control Cookbook
The Yeast Connection by Dr William Cook
I am on the diet because I have lots of immune-system problems.
I suffer from shingles outbreaks, colds, arthritis, aches, sinus problems, and depression. I have been on NSAIDS, birth control, steriods for extended periods of time.

What I can eat:
veggies, brown rice, rice pasta, beef, chicken, pork, legumes, chili, fish, I make my own rice bread, I cook every day and on Sundays make enough food to last throughout the week. Lots of soups, stews, etc. It is very limited but I eat more food now then I ever have and I feel really good. Even my periods have gotten more tolerable. If you want you can email me at home and I can give you more info.
hearley@ibm.net