Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When I stand I can't stop moving??!!

Posted by lindah on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012713)

When I am standing, whether it is while I am washing dishes or at the work table at my job, the strangest thing happens. I seem to, almost unconsciously, shift my weight from Left to Right to Left to Right to the point that I am almost constantly rocking. This must be the way mu body tells me to adjust to the discomfort of PF but it feels so weird and I wondered if anyone is affected by this or any other 'whole body' mainfestations.

Re: When I stand I can't stop moving??!!

Viola B. on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012717)

Even though my feet have improved recently, I still find that I can not stand in one place for more than a few minutes. As a result, I am constantly shifting my weight from one foot to the other. I am very conscious of this fact. Also, my sister told me that is how she knows when my feet are bothering me. I do not know if this will one day go away as I continue to improve or not. I hope so.

lindah on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012720)

Viola, Go GIRL, I cannot believe someone else experiences this weitd sensation of shifting the weight on their feet. I have tried to stop but I just can't. I go two to three seconds with weight on the left and then switch to the right and do the same. Standing takes a lot of energy doesn't it???

Tammy L on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012723)

This is very common, at least with the sufferers that I know. Once I get up in the morning and get going(30 minutes to walk), as long as I do not sit down I feel great. Once I sit down, it takes about 5 minutes to get my feet to move again.

Re: When I stand I can't stop moving??!!-Ants in pants syndrome

Nancy T. on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012725)

Know just what you are talking about.. Standing in one spot with PF in utterly impossible. It makes me laugh at myself. If I should meet someone while I am out, and stand to have a normal conversation, I am moving constantly. Sometimes I even back up a step or two and then go forward again to the spot where I was standing. Its a little funny when you think of it. If someone does not know that you have PF, and the effects that it causes, it must look mighty strange to them!!!Sort of like the 'ants in your pants syndrome'. ;)

Libby on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012729)

I met a lady for the first time tonight and we talked about 30 minutes and I was all over the place! By the time we were through talking, I had totally changed spots with her! She probably did think I was a little strange for moving so much! Ha! Libby

Jenny Lewis on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012743)

Know what you mean! I start pacing back and forth as walking is ok but standing hurts like the blazes after about 5 minutes. In our main photocopying department at work there are carpet tiles on the floor, and if I have to do a large-ish job, waiting more than 5 or 10 mins for my copies to be done, I get foot pain as well as totally bored, so I start walking along the lines. One of my colleagues asked once, in amazement, what I was doing - because of my daydreaming state at the time I hadn't considered how peculiar it must have looked!

jl

Jane B. on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012754)

The other day I was standing in line at a store with the ants in the pants syndrome. I shifted my weight from left to right. From the outside of the feet to the inside, from heel to the next tolerable spot. I even found myself leaning almost full weight on the corner of the counter when I got close enough. The lady behind me thought I was crazy until I had to finally tell her I had bad feet. (understatement of the year). I often thought of carrying a little portable chair with me for situations like that. Maybe I will give in one day and try it.

Lee H on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012764)

I like the name 'the ants in the pants syndrome' My husband always comments on my doing exactly this and he takes it as a sign that we have to move on when talking to somebody we run into while out.

Trish on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012768)

Yes, I have that syndrome too......I now go to a grocery store that has a metal bar I can lean against when the cashier is ringing my stuff through. In other stores, I have been known to flip the carrying basket upside down and sit on it in a line-up...it gets to the point where I really don't care what people think. If they want to know why, they can ask. Incidentally, this explains my post for 'you know you've got PF'....when you can't focus on a conversation while standing up.

Marti C on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012784)

I have the same problem! I find myself always leaning on things the counter at home the counter at the store, etc. When I start heading for the door my kids know mommy's feet have to go!

Re: When I stand I can't stop moving??!!/ To: Trish

Jane B. on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012811)

Your idea of the basket just totally cracked me up but I loved it. I am going to use the idea. I figure I could also put the basket in the cart if doing weekly shopping. Thanks for the foot saver idea and the good laugh. I can visualize you doing it. :)

Viola B. on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012717)

Even though my feet have improved recently, I still find that I can not stand in one place for more than a few minutes. As a result, I am constantly shifting my weight from one foot to the other. I am very conscious of this fact. Also, my sister told me that is how she knows when my feet are bothering me. I do not know if this will one day go away as I continue to improve or not. I hope so.

lindah on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012720)

Viola, Go GIRL, I cannot believe someone else experiences this weitd sensation of shifting the weight on their feet. I have tried to stop but I just can't. I go two to three seconds with weight on the left and then switch to the right and do the same. Standing takes a lot of energy doesn't it???

Tammy L on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012723)

This is very common, at least with the sufferers that I know. Once I get up in the morning and get going(30 minutes to walk), as long as I do not sit down I feel great. Once I sit down, it takes about 5 minutes to get my feet to move again.

Re: When I stand I can't stop moving??!!-Ants in pants syndrome

Nancy T. on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012725)

Know just what you are talking about.. Standing in one spot with PF in utterly impossible. It makes me laugh at myself. If I should meet someone while I am out, and stand to have a normal conversation, I am moving constantly. Sometimes I even back up a step or two and then go forward again to the spot where I was standing. Its a little funny when you think of it. If someone does not know that you have PF, and the effects that it causes, it must look mighty strange to them!!!Sort of like the 'ants in your pants syndrome'. ;)

Libby on 11/15/99 at 00:00 (012729)

I met a lady for the first time tonight and we talked about 30 minutes and I was all over the place! By the time we were through talking, I had totally changed spots with her! She probably did think I was a little strange for moving so much! Ha! Libby

Jenny Lewis on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012743)

Know what you mean! I start pacing back and forth as walking is ok but standing hurts like the blazes after about 5 minutes. In our main photocopying department at work there are carpet tiles on the floor, and if I have to do a large-ish job, waiting more than 5 or 10 mins for my copies to be done, I get foot pain as well as totally bored, so I start walking along the lines. One of my colleagues asked once, in amazement, what I was doing - because of my daydreaming state at the time I hadn't considered how peculiar it must have looked!

jl

Jane B. on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012754)

The other day I was standing in line at a store with the ants in the pants syndrome. I shifted my weight from left to right. From the outside of the feet to the inside, from heel to the next tolerable spot. I even found myself leaning almost full weight on the corner of the counter when I got close enough. The lady behind me thought I was crazy until I had to finally tell her I had bad feet. (understatement of the year). I often thought of carrying a little portable chair with me for situations like that. Maybe I will give in one day and try it.

Lee H on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012764)

I like the name 'the ants in the pants syndrome' My husband always comments on my doing exactly this and he takes it as a sign that we have to move on when talking to somebody we run into while out.

Trish on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012768)

Yes, I have that syndrome too......I now go to a grocery store that has a metal bar I can lean against when the cashier is ringing my stuff through. In other stores, I have been known to flip the carrying basket upside down and sit on it in a line-up...it gets to the point where I really don't care what people think. If they want to know why, they can ask. Incidentally, this explains my post for 'you know you've got PF'....when you can't focus on a conversation while standing up.

Marti C on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012784)

I have the same problem! I find myself always leaning on things the counter at home the counter at the store, etc. When I start heading for the door my kids know mommy's feet have to go!

Re: When I stand I can't stop moving??!!/ To: Trish

Jane B. on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012811)

Your idea of the basket just totally cracked me up but I loved it. I am going to use the idea. I figure I could also put the basket in the cart if doing weekly shopping. Thanks for the foot saver idea and the good laugh. I can visualize you doing it. :)