Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Puzzled with the Drs. latest recommendation.....

Posted by Kris C on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012739)

I just went back to my foot/ankle surgeon Monday. I have tried just about everything there is to try so far, (orthotics, cast, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, pain killers, MSM, Glucosimine chrondritan, night splints, 40 visits of P.T., off work for 10 months so far resting my feet, etc. etc. etc.), now he would like me to see a neurologist for a MRI of my spine to rule out a pinched nerve of any kind that he says might be linked to the pain in my heels. Well I asked him if something was pinched wouldn't I feel some sort of pain in my back? Since I have NO back pain whatsoever, ONLY pain in my heels. I am thinking this is just a waste of money and not really gonna fix anything. Has anyone ever heard of PF pain being linked to a pinched nerve of some sort with no other pain anywhere in the back? Just wondering. And this is the supposed to be a great foot/ankle surgeon that ws referred to me by my other well known orthopedic surgeon... Neither one is a fan of doing PF surgery and won't do it... They both say they just don't see results with the surgery and I could end up worse off. I am SERIOUSLY thinking of visiting Dr. Barrett in Houston to see if he can help me. I am getting desperate. In Feb 2000 my insurance will run out and I will have to start paying for it thru COBRA. I have been off work on medical disability for 10 months so far and am no better off than I was when I left. I still am in so much pain all the time..... any suggestions or comments out there????

Re: Puzzled with the Drs. latest recommendation.....

Becky R. on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012741)

Kris,
If you have the classic symptoms of pf, then I would doubt you have a pinched nerve, plus if you had a pinched nerve I would think it would come and go and possibly be in other areas of your body. Do you always have pain in the same area of your heel? Is it the classic symptoms of pf? If you have insurance that would cover the MRI, then go ahead. I am not a doctor but a nurse. Good luck to you in whatever you do.
Becky

Re: Puzzled with the Drs. latest recommendation.....RE Kris

Laurie R on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012756)

Hi Kris ,boy it does sound like you have been throw it all .I do feel for you .I have had this for 5 months and I thought that this was a long time nothing seems to help me .I am in P T. now and a walking cast.I have been off work for 8 weeks.I know I can't go back any time soon .Every time I go back to the doctors I am so scared that he will make me go back to work I can't untill this goes away....As I am a bartender and on my feet 8 to 10 hours a night with no brake. Hang in their.I feel it is just your Plantar fasciitis and not your back I think they just don't know what to do for you.....

Trish on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012766)

Would the MRI be of your feet or your back?? I've had PF for about 8 yrs. and had an MRI on my feet a couple of years ago, and it showed nothing........what is that supposed to mean?? However, that particular day when I had the MRI, my feet were NOT hurting. I asked the Dr. about that later and he said it shouldn't matter.......Feedback anyone?

Kara M on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012767)

Kris,
I have known people who have herniated disks in their neck, but feel the pain ONLY in their wrists. Sometimes problems in the spine affect other areas.
If your really wondering about if there's a linkage between a problem in your back and your PF, I would recommend finding a good chiropractor, he/she would be able to tell just by looking or feeling your back if there might be something out of alignment causing the PF. They would also be able to tell you if you really need an MRI.
good luck to you
Kara

Becky R. on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012741)

Kris,
If you have the classic symptoms of pf, then I would doubt you have a pinched nerve, plus if you had a pinched nerve I would think it would come and go and possibly be in other areas of your body. Do you always have pain in the same area of your heel? Is it the classic symptoms of pf? If you have insurance that would cover the MRI, then go ahead. I am not a doctor but a nurse. Good luck to you in whatever you do.
Becky

Re: Puzzled with the Drs. latest recommendation.....RE Kris

Laurie R on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012756)

Hi Kris ,boy it does sound like you have been throw it all .I do feel for you .I have had this for 5 months and I thought that this was a long time nothing seems to help me .I am in P T. now and a walking cast.I have been off work for 8 weeks.I know I can't go back any time soon .Every time I go back to the doctors I am so scared that he will make me go back to work I can't untill this goes away....As I am a bartender and on my feet 8 to 10 hours a night with no brake. Hang in their.I feel it is just your Plantar fasciitis and not your back I think they just don't know what to do for you.....

Trish on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012766)

Would the MRI be of your feet or your back?? I've had PF for about 8 yrs. and had an MRI on my feet a couple of years ago, and it showed nothing........what is that supposed to mean?? However, that particular day when I had the MRI, my feet were NOT hurting. I asked the Dr. about that later and he said it shouldn't matter.......Feedback anyone?

Kara M on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012767)

Kris,
I have known people who have herniated disks in their neck, but feel the pain ONLY in their wrists. Sometimes problems in the spine affect other areas.
If your really wondering about if there's a linkage between a problem in your back and your PF, I would recommend finding a good chiropractor, he/she would be able to tell just by looking or feeling your back if there might be something out of alignment causing the PF. They would also be able to tell you if you really need an MRI.
good luck to you
Kara