Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My PT has me doing nerve glides....

Posted by Frannie R. on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012778)

I have bilateral PF or 9 months now (got while pregnant) and am having success with PT. The bottoms of my heels are numb and my podiatrist said that this could be due to inflamation in the ankle which impinges on the nerve. My PT also said that irritation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the spine down to the foot, can cause numbness and pain. SHe has me doing an exercise called a nerve glide and it seems to be helping diminish the pain and numbness. So, the point of my message is that it may be nerve related and perhaps there is something impinging that's resulting in the pain. Also, if it's covered by your insurance, why not get it now to rule this out so as not to be wondering or be caught paying for it later.

Re: My PT has me doing nerve glides....

wendyn on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012788)

I did nerve glides for a while too (for TTS), actually found they aggravated my condition. My PT insists they will help - but depending on your condition...you have to be very very very careful. I am supposed to start them again (very tiny movements at first) but so far I am chickening out.

Re: My PT has me doing nerve glides....

wendyn on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012788)

I did nerve glides for a while too (for TTS), actually found they aggravated my condition. My PT insists they will help - but depending on your condition...you have to be very very very careful. I am supposed to start them again (very tiny movements at first) but so far I am chickening out.