Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

S Stronger Topical NSAID

Posted by john h on 11/16/99 at 00:00 (012782)

this is from the latest issue of 'Arthritis Today': 'Why not get the pain medicine right to the joint where it hurts-and avoid unwanted systemic side effects from pills? Soon, there may be a drug available in the United States to do just that.

A Canadian company has applied for FDA approval for what would be the first prescription topical NSAID to be marketed in the United States.

Called Pennsaid (for penetrating NSAID), the drug uses the pentrating properties of DMSO as a vehicle to carry the prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NASID) diclofenac through the skin to the joint, says Peter Block, corporate communications director for Dimethaid, the Ontario-based company seeking to market the drug. (Over the counter saliclate,or aspirin-like, creams are already available. Dimethaid says this prescription drug uses a stronger NASID, and that DMSO will make it penetrate deeper.)'

any of you canadian people know if this is already on the market in canada?

Re: S Stronger Topical NSAID

wendyn on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012826)

John, called my pharmacy (I live in Canada) they haven't hear of this yet, said probably not out yet. I will do some checking over the net when I have time to see if I can find anything else out. Thanks for the tip! Sure would be nice to have a safer alternative to the drugs.

john h on 11/18/99 at 00:00 (012839)

i found the website for the manufacter of the new product 'Pennsaid' which should hopefully be on the market soon. the site gives some results of double blind studies in the U.S. It is aimed a arthritis sufferers but a prescription deep penetrating anti-inflamatory it seems it might be a good product for the bottom of the feet.

web site: http://www.dimethaid.com/ product: Pennsaid

wendyn on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012826)

John, called my pharmacy (I live in Canada) they haven't hear of this yet, said probably not out yet. I will do some checking over the net when I have time to see if I can find anything else out. Thanks for the tip! Sure would be nice to have a safer alternative to the drugs.

john h on 11/18/99 at 00:00 (012839)

i found the website for the manufacter of the new product 'Pennsaid' which should hopefully be on the market soon. the site gives some results of double blind studies in the U.S. It is aimed a arthritis sufferers but a prescription deep penetrating anti-inflamatory it seems it might be a good product for the bottom of the feet.

web site: http://www.dimethaid.com/ product: Pennsaid