Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ants and pigeons and sticks

Posted by Jenny Lewis on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012803)

We're getting all Natural World documentary-ish around here. I'm now trying to stand pigeon-toed in order to avoid the ants.

I LOVE the suggestion of sitting on an upturned basket in the supermarket, Thank you!

and ... I have seen the type of stick thing described, called a shooting stick hereabouts I believe, it's like a walking stick with a spikey point at the bottom, and the top is a handle that unfolds outwards, you jab it in the ground and sit on it. (Make sure you sit on the right end, naturally!)

I nearly bought one recently, but decided against it. Tried to sit on it in the shop and it felt like I would fall over. Also, it is yet another thing to cart around, and they were not very lightweight. Mind you, a pointy stick would be a great weapon on London Transport at rush hour. Hmmmm, might reconsider.

jl

Re: ants and pigeons and sticks

wendyn on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012808)

I was talking to my husband about the 'little chair' idea. He thought maybe a medical supply store would have one. I think i will check it out. I am turning 31 next week, so I reminded him that he wanted birthday ideas, a little chair would be great! He looked at me like I had two heads...guess he pictured buying me something like that closer to my 81st birthday not 31st. Will let you know if I'm able to find anything useful that's not too heavy.

I have not tried this idea of turning my feet in while standing, my feet naturally point outwards. I think maybe if I crank them in towards each other I may just tip over and fall on my face. Does anyone know why standing pigeon toed seems to help?

Also a reminder, those of us with bad feet have a tendency to curl our toes under and roll outwards when standing barefoot (caught my dad doing this the other day). A lot of us have been warned that this can cause further damage - wear your Birks instead of going barefoot (prevents me from doing this out of habit).

john a on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012816)

I found the 'Roll-a-Chair' at REI. Probably available elsewhere too.
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=549765&prmenbr=8000
It doesn't exactly look like it could be used as a walking stick, but it might be small enough to tote, though maybe a little heavy at 2.5 lbs.
You can also just do a search for 'chair' at their site to see some other alternatives.

wendyn on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012808)

I was talking to my husband about the 'little chair' idea. He thought maybe a medical supply store would have one. I think i will check it out. I am turning 31 next week, so I reminded him that he wanted birthday ideas, a little chair would be great! He looked at me like I had two heads...guess he pictured buying me something like that closer to my 81st birthday not 31st. Will let you know if I'm able to find anything useful that's not too heavy.

I have not tried this idea of turning my feet in while standing, my feet naturally point outwards. I think maybe if I crank them in towards each other I may just tip over and fall on my face. Does anyone know why standing pigeon toed seems to help?

Also a reminder, those of us with bad feet have a tendency to curl our toes under and roll outwards when standing barefoot (caught my dad doing this the other day). A lot of us have been warned that this can cause further damage - wear your Birks instead of going barefoot (prevents me from doing this out of habit).

john a on 11/17/99 at 00:00 (012816)

I found the 'Roll-a-Chair' at REI. Probably available elsewhere too.
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=549765&prmenbr=8000
It doesn't exactly look like it could be used as a walking stick, but it might be small enough to tote, though maybe a little heavy at 2.5 lbs.
You can also just do a search for 'chair' at their site to see some other alternatives.