Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yay, new PF victim... Any hope? :-)

Posted by Ben H. on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012884)

Greets.

After researching this Plantar Fasciitus stuff, I've been wondering... 90% of the people in the survey didn't heal for 4 years?? That isn't very good news for me. :) I'm about 17, and limping around for the next four years of my life doesn't look very promising. Is there a good chance of a speedy recovery, due to the age factor?

I've already been out about 2 months, and I thought this hosja' (ignore... klingon cursing =P) would be gone in weeks at the most.

The injury was caused to both feet by heavily running for about 20 minutes on a concrete floor during Karate.

I believe I re-injured it several times, I wasn't aware of the injury until about 2 weeks afterward, and that was after quite a bit more walking & running :)

The good news (I guess?) is that I don't feel any pain unless I put weight (I'm guessing over 7 lb of my bodyweight) on my heels.

The balls of my feet might be a little bit injured also, after walking exclusively on them for a while, but that isn't my main concern =)

I'm pretty active, so being off my feet is a royal pain (in all seriousness, I'd rather be shot... heals faster =P At the very least, I'd rather have pain in my feet, but no injury).

My Doc has had this same injury several times (he's a runner), and of course he gave me a healthy 'early' recovery estimate, but frankly, you know how Docs are with the truth.

Could anyone give me an idea of when I might be on my feet again, or atleast working out at the gym? (currently, even doing a mere 300 situps seems to injure, or at the least hurt my feet; I'm guessing from the tightening of the muscles). Getting out of shape would be even worse than being unable to walk on my feet... ugh.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Re: Yay, new PF victim... Any hope? :-)

Lee H on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012891)

Hi Ben, There are many active people on this board (runners, ect...) that understand how you feel. Everyone is different for healing time. I heard of many peoople recovering from it in a matter of weeks. Then there are the ones who go on for years (I'm begining to think I will be in that catergory). Best thing to do is read all the posts and try as much self treatment as possible including icing, stretching, and rest. Get yourself a good Doc. Most important...Do not continue to work out, you will just hurt the foot worse. That is what I did and I am regretting everyday. Good Luck to you and I hope you will be one of the ones with a fast recovery.

wendyn on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012900)

A mere 300 sit ups? God Ben,if I did 300 sit ups I'd never get up again....but seriously I do find that sit ups can aggravate my feet and legs. I think it's the position..try lifting your legs into the air and doing crunches so your lower back is supported. For some reason this helps me.

Try lots of suggestions on this board, and don't get discouraged. Most of us know what it's like to have to at least temporarily give up activities that we enjoyed before.

I will reiterate what others have said, if you only take one piece of advice away from this board....it would be to listen to your body and don't ignore the pain!!!

I am regretting every day the fact that I ignored this for too long. Better to give up the sports and stick to the pool for a few months, than face a potential life time of problems.

Good luck!

john a on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012901)

From what I understand, if your PF seems to clearly be the result of a specific injury or incident, you are much more likely to have a relatively speedy recovery. Provided, of course, that you act smart, listen to your pain, and follow the excellent advice on this board. In my case, there was no obvious cause: so far I've had it for 8 months, with only slight improvement :-(

Marti C on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012902)

Everything theyve said is true. This is a great web site just read everything and try new things slowly not aggressively!I know its hard because you want to get well right away. I stopped exercising 2 years ago and gave up after having this for three years. My doctors also did not tell me half of what Ive learned from all the people here.Just in the past few weeks since Ive been visting the web site and trying new things, slowly I have improved quite a bit. Also, dont forget good shoes play a very important role in this. Baby those feet and rest rest rest! Good Luck!

Trish on 11/20/99 at 00:00 (012929)

I believe that lots of people who get PF recover quicker than many people on this board and we don't hear from them on the board because they never had the need to research it in such detail.....my guess is that they tried some type of treatment recommended by their Dr. (orthotics, rest, stretching, ice, etc.) and it actually worked. Good luck! Read all the info. on this site, and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Lee H on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012891)

Hi Ben, There are many active people on this board (runners, ect...) that understand how you feel. Everyone is different for healing time. I heard of many peoople recovering from it in a matter of weeks. Then there are the ones who go on for years (I'm begining to think I will be in that catergory). Best thing to do is read all the posts and try as much self treatment as possible including icing, stretching, and rest. Get yourself a good Doc. Most important...Do not continue to work out, you will just hurt the foot worse. That is what I did and I am regretting everyday. Good Luck to you and I hope you will be one of the ones with a fast recovery.

wendyn on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012900)

A mere 300 sit ups? God Ben,if I did 300 sit ups I'd never get up again....but seriously I do find that sit ups can aggravate my feet and legs. I think it's the position..try lifting your legs into the air and doing crunches so your lower back is supported. For some reason this helps me.

Try lots of suggestions on this board, and don't get discouraged. Most of us know what it's like to have to at least temporarily give up activities that we enjoyed before.

I will reiterate what others have said, if you only take one piece of advice away from this board....it would be to listen to your body and don't ignore the pain!!!

I am regretting every day the fact that I ignored this for too long. Better to give up the sports and stick to the pool for a few months, than face a potential life time of problems.

Good luck!

john a on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012901)

From what I understand, if your PF seems to clearly be the result of a specific injury or incident, you are much more likely to have a relatively speedy recovery. Provided, of course, that you act smart, listen to your pain, and follow the excellent advice on this board. In my case, there was no obvious cause: so far I've had it for 8 months, with only slight improvement :-(

Marti C on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012902)

Everything theyve said is true. This is a great web site just read everything and try new things slowly not aggressively!I know its hard because you want to get well right away. I stopped exercising 2 years ago and gave up after having this for three years. My doctors also did not tell me half of what Ive learned from all the people here.Just in the past few weeks since Ive been visting the web site and trying new things, slowly I have improved quite a bit. Also, dont forget good shoes play a very important role in this. Baby those feet and rest rest rest! Good Luck!

Trish on 11/20/99 at 00:00 (012929)

I believe that lots of people who get PF recover quicker than many people on this board and we don't hear from them on the board because they never had the need to research it in such detail.....my guess is that they tried some type of treatment recommended by their Dr. (orthotics, rest, stretching, ice, etc.) and it actually worked. Good luck! Read all the info. on this site, and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!