Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Other things to try

Posted by Robin B. on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012887)

Vicki, you are trying some heavy duty treatments. In a way, I am not surprised, though, that you have not gotten much relief. Cortisone, celebrex and orthotics are not actually approaches that will cure or remedy anything. Steroids and pains killers may mask it for awhile, but the pain usually returns if nothing eles is done. I presume that these approaches came from a doctor or doctors, yes?

Have you tried a large variety of less invasive treatments on your own? Various degrees of stretching or non-stretching? Glucosamine sulfate, Sam-E, MSM, pancreatin or (my favorite) bromelain? What kinds of specialized support shoes (Naots, Birks, Mephistos) or inserts are you trying? Have you tried high doses of vitamin C? How about taping? Have you changed your diet to try to affect the condition, and how? Have you tried swimming or another non weight-bearing aerobic exercise? How about ultrasound or other forms of physical therapy?

I write this because I have posted all over this board that it has been a combination of factors that has offered me the most relief -- which has been pretty considerable. Now I found that I must do or use or take them all to continue the higher level of relief.

There are many other remedies you can try that don't involve ingesting NSAIDs or shooting a steroid into your foot. My suggestion would be to try combinations of many less invasive treatments and try to get closer to the root cause of your pain, and hence, closer to repairing the damage. Don't give up; there are lots of approaches yet to try and lots of combinations too. One combination will work for you.

Vicki F on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012908)

I have been to several doctors to try tofind relief. Nothing so far has worked. I have tried Birkenstocks, a couple different types of orthotic inserts. Several anti-inflammatories. And even with the Celebrex, my stomach always feel like it is on fire, so I don't think I will be taking that for much longer. I have tried the stretching. But I have never tried the other things that were mentioned. At this point I am willing totry anything. I have a feeling the doctor wants to do surgury, he mentions it everytime I visit him. I certainly don't want that. But....after a year and half of almost constant pain I feel like that might be my only option! My job requires me to do alot of standing, so I am sure that isn't helping. Thanks for the info.

Nancy T. on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012918)

Vicki: Please take heart. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me that in the 28 years that he has been a surgeon, he has NEVER performed an operation on someone who has PF. (He specialized in sports injuries). There are other ways to treat PF, you just have to find what works for YOU. Make surgery your absolutely last resort. Keep searching the Board, and try combinations of all that is offered. There is HOPE! :)We are all here to help each other!!

Vicki F on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012908)

I have been to several doctors to try tofind relief. Nothing so far has worked. I have tried Birkenstocks, a couple different types of orthotic inserts. Several anti-inflammatories. And even with the Celebrex, my stomach always feel like it is on fire, so I don't think I will be taking that for much longer. I have tried the stretching. But I have never tried the other things that were mentioned. At this point I am willing totry anything. I have a feeling the doctor wants to do surgury, he mentions it everytime I visit him. I certainly don't want that. But....after a year and half of almost constant pain I feel like that might be my only option! My job requires me to do alot of standing, so I am sure that isn't helping. Thanks for the info.

Nancy T. on 11/19/99 at 00:00 (012918)

Vicki: Please take heart. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me that in the 28 years that he has been a surgeon, he has NEVER performed an operation on someone who has PF. (He specialized in sports injuries). There are other ways to treat PF, you just have to find what works for YOU. Make surgery your absolutely last resort. Keep searching the Board, and try combinations of all that is offered. There is HOPE! :)We are all here to help each other!!