Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there any relief for this condition?

Posted by Elise M. on 11/21/99 at 00:00 (012965)

Hi all you fellow sufferers,
I have had this condition now in both feet for the last 6 months. Is there any end in sight? Have a girlfriend who claims she had it for 2.5 years before it finally abated. Is this what we have to look forward to? Some days I cry when my feet hit the floor, some other days it's not too bad...Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Elle

Re: Is there any relief for this condition?

Stuart B on 11/21/99 at 00:00 (012967)

If you work at it you can make a difference with you feet. Mine were getting worse and worse until I found this site. Follow the advice and you will get some results, but it takes ages and the improvements are incremental.
Hope you are having a good day, bit nippy here. Still, I have a nice open fire to warm my toes by.

Viola B. on 11/21/99 at 00:00 (012977)

Read every thing you can on this site. The information here has helped me more than my doctor. Do not expect an overnight cure. It may take as much as 3-6 months or more. My first recommendation is to warm your feet and massage them every morning BEFORE your feet ever touch the floor. I place a heating pad by my bed so that I can reach it without having to get out of bed. Then stretch your calves first thing when you get out of bed. You can massage your feet with your hands or place a tennis ball or golf ball on the floor by your bed and roll your feet around on top of the ball. Your feet may feel sore at first, but keep it up until the soreness decreases. The deeper the massage the better. Also, buy better shoes with good arch supports or buy good shoe inserts that have good arch supports to put into your shoes. This should get you started. Good luck.

Libby on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013021)

I started noticing foot problems in April of this year and couldn't walk much without pain from August to November. I think stretching, putting ice on my feet, inflammatories and changing shoes helped me. I was able to walk all over the place last weekend in my 2 week old Birkenstock shoes. I didn't know if I would like them at first but they have really helped me get around again. I didn't do any shots, physical therapy or surgery as my feet are getting better. In fact I really don't think about them as much as I was. I hope it just stays that way. My podiatrist thought I could eventually jog again but I'm not sure I want to try. I may just go back to doing hi/low impact aerobics. For the time being, I'm doing lots of floor exercises such as abdominal, leg work, weights while sitting down and waist exercises. I'm still staying in fairly good shape this way. So don't get discouraged. I'm thankful that I have feet even if they do hurt. They really will get better eventually. I feel really sorry when I see people in wheelchairs with no feet or legs. I'm not minimizing foot problems cause I certainly cried over mine too! Just keep your spirits up and laugh a lot and use this time to stop and smell the roses! I hope this helps! Libyb

VickiJ on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013026)

I would add only one thing to Viola's good advice...I finally decided to interview doctors until I found one who promised to help me get orthotics that fit properly. Properly fitting orthotics plus stretching, massaging, etc and I am back on my feet again for the first time in three years.

Stuart B on 11/21/99 at 00:00 (012967)

If you work at it you can make a difference with you feet. Mine were getting worse and worse until I found this site. Follow the advice and you will get some results, but it takes ages and the improvements are incremental.
Hope you are having a good day, bit nippy here. Still, I have a nice open fire to warm my toes by.

Viola B. on 11/21/99 at 00:00 (012977)

Read every thing you can on this site. The information here has helped me more than my doctor. Do not expect an overnight cure. It may take as much as 3-6 months or more. My first recommendation is to warm your feet and massage them every morning BEFORE your feet ever touch the floor. I place a heating pad by my bed so that I can reach it without having to get out of bed. Then stretch your calves first thing when you get out of bed. You can massage your feet with your hands or place a tennis ball or golf ball on the floor by your bed and roll your feet around on top of the ball. Your feet may feel sore at first, but keep it up until the soreness decreases. The deeper the massage the better. Also, buy better shoes with good arch supports or buy good shoe inserts that have good arch supports to put into your shoes. This should get you started. Good luck.

Libby on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013021)

I started noticing foot problems in April of this year and couldn't walk much without pain from August to November. I think stretching, putting ice on my feet, inflammatories and changing shoes helped me. I was able to walk all over the place last weekend in my 2 week old Birkenstock shoes. I didn't know if I would like them at first but they have really helped me get around again. I didn't do any shots, physical therapy or surgery as my feet are getting better. In fact I really don't think about them as much as I was. I hope it just stays that way. My podiatrist thought I could eventually jog again but I'm not sure I want to try. I may just go back to doing hi/low impact aerobics. For the time being, I'm doing lots of floor exercises such as abdominal, leg work, weights while sitting down and waist exercises. I'm still staying in fairly good shape this way. So don't get discouraged. I'm thankful that I have feet even if they do hurt. They really will get better eventually. I feel really sorry when I see people in wheelchairs with no feet or legs. I'm not minimizing foot problems cause I certainly cried over mine too! Just keep your spirits up and laugh a lot and use this time to stop and smell the roses! I hope this helps! Libyb

VickiJ on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013026)

I would add only one thing to Viola's good advice...I finally decided to interview doctors until I found one who promised to help me get orthotics that fit properly. Properly fitting orthotics plus stretching, massaging, etc and I am back on my feet again for the first time in three years.