Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

About different treatments for different subgroups

Posted by Scott R on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013029)

I've been thinking for about 2 years on how to compile data on visitors to break them up into groups with similar symptoms and let them communicate and see what works best. Then I would make the appropriate changes to the main document. Someday maybe I can finish the task.

Re: About different treatments for different subgroups

michael s on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013039)

Scott, I remember when a while back you posted something about this idea, and I sort of shot it down because I didn't want this fun forum broken up too much. But I think the topic is an interesting one. I know, for example, that some people who say they have pf don't have the horrible early morning stiffness and pain I have, which makes me wonder if we really are sharing the same condition. Certainly in my TWELVE years of suffering I haven't been too impressed that the medical community has a real handle on what pf is and isn't, or on the variations it might take.

john h on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013042)

scott: i sense there will be nearly as many sub-groups as there are people on the board. i have never read of so many symptoms for the disease call PF. the only thing everone seems to have in common is 'pain'. i still think there are very many causes for our pain and finding the 'pain generator' is beyond medical technology. it is a hit and miss thing (surgery,ossotron,pills,ice,heat,stretch,orthotics,rest,walk,and on and on). my doctor said it best when he said that treating PF was the most unrewarding thing he did.

jlcox on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013068)

Diagnosis IS key. As many of you have found out PF is something of a wastebasket diagnosis. I've had foot pain for 5 yrs, which was diagnosed as PF for the first 4 1/2. A few months ago I finally had an ultrasound and a 3-phase bone scan, both of which were negative for PF (or anything else)! Incidentally, it was Dr. Galea who recommended the tests. None of my American docs, who were treating me for PF, thought they were necessary!

I'm one of those patients in diagnostic limboland. Dr. Galea, however has ordered an MRI for me (scheduled 12/23--can't wait). I hope it will show the cause of my pain. Pray for me and wish me luck!!!

michael s on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013039)

Scott, I remember when a while back you posted something about this idea, and I sort of shot it down because I didn't want this fun forum broken up too much. But I think the topic is an interesting one. I know, for example, that some people who say they have pf don't have the horrible early morning stiffness and pain I have, which makes me wonder if we really are sharing the same condition. Certainly in my TWELVE years of suffering I haven't been too impressed that the medical community has a real handle on what pf is and isn't, or on the variations it might take.

john h on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013042)

scott: i sense there will be nearly as many sub-groups as there are people on the board. i have never read of so many symptoms for the disease call PF. the only thing everone seems to have in common is 'pain'. i still think there are very many causes for our pain and finding the 'pain generator' is beyond medical technology. it is a hit and miss thing (surgery,ossotron,pills,ice,heat,stretch,orthotics,rest,walk,and on and on). my doctor said it best when he said that treating PF was the most unrewarding thing he did.

jlcox on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013068)

Diagnosis IS key. As many of you have found out PF is something of a wastebasket diagnosis. I've had foot pain for 5 yrs, which was diagnosed as PF for the first 4 1/2. A few months ago I finally had an ultrasound and a 3-phase bone scan, both of which were negative for PF (or anything else)! Incidentally, it was Dr. Galea who recommended the tests. None of my American docs, who were treating me for PF, thought they were necessary!

I'm one of those patients in diagnostic limboland. Dr. Galea, however has ordered an MRI for me (scheduled 12/23--can't wait). I hope it will show the cause of my pain. Pray for me and wish me luck!!!