Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks Duane for the good info on NSAIDS.

Posted by Scott R on 11/22/99 at 00:00 (013046)

Re: Thanks Duane for the good info on NSAIDS.

caryne on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013048)

Duane, did they mention relefen? My Dr. gave me a two week sample of vioxx and a two week sample of relefen. I've gone the vioxx and I'm on the relefen right now...then whichever helped me the most she'll give me a prescription. We tried celebrex in Aug/Sept and it didn't do much for me.

Duane E on 11/24/99 at 00:00 (013087)

There was no mention of Relafen. However Relafen is known (especially at the upper levels of its recommended dosage) to cause gastrointestinal(GI) problems. You might want to read the safety/information data sheet that comes with the product, or can be obtained from your pharmacist.

The only COX-2 enzyme inhibitor nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories currently on the market are Celebrex and Vioxx. The other NSAIDs also inhibit the COX-1 enzyme; which for the GI tract is the problem. The COX-1 enzyme is an enzyme that protects the lining of the stomach and the small intestine.

The article did say that traditional NSAIDs are approximately as efficacious as the COX-2 inhibitors; however the COX-2 inhibitors were superior with respect to GI safety. As noted in the first NSAID post (above) the COX-2 inhibitors are not completely GI safe.

caryne on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013048)

Duane, did they mention relefen? My Dr. gave me a two week sample of vioxx and a two week sample of relefen. I've gone the vioxx and I'm on the relefen right now...then whichever helped me the most she'll give me a prescription. We tried celebrex in Aug/Sept and it didn't do much for me.

Duane E on 11/24/99 at 00:00 (013087)

There was no mention of Relafen. However Relafen is known (especially at the upper levels of its recommended dosage) to cause gastrointestinal(GI) problems. You might want to read the safety/information data sheet that comes with the product, or can be obtained from your pharmacist.

The only COX-2 enzyme inhibitor nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories currently on the market are Celebrex and Vioxx. The other NSAIDs also inhibit the COX-1 enzyme; which for the GI tract is the problem. The COX-1 enzyme is an enzyme that protects the lining of the stomach and the small intestine.

The article did say that traditional NSAIDs are approximately as efficacious as the COX-2 inhibitors; however the COX-2 inhibitors were superior with respect to GI safety. As noted in the first NSAID post (above) the COX-2 inhibitors are not completely GI safe.