Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tolerance, moderation and Ossotron/Mohez/John W debate (long)

Posted by Robin B. on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013059)

At one level, I have been enjoying the jousting that goes on around the Ossotron/Mohez/John W. debate. On another level, it's getting semi-vicious and kind of nasty. This particular debate does not represent the first time this board has become nasty. It has happened before, and I myself remember being a target of it because I offered words of caution about an extreme low-carb diet. I got clobbered and my first reaction was -- PF is tough enough, who needs THIS kind of abuse from fellow PF sufferers?

It's easy for me to offer my opinion: I am increasingly getting bettter, and my PF is far less of a difficulty than it used to be. But last year at this time I was in terrible pain. It was 24 hours a day, and it didn't matter whether I was standing, sitting or lying down. My feet constantly hurt me to the point of crying. I was depressed, angry, despondent and jealous of people who were getting better. I was frustrated, terrified, confused -- and mostly, so horribly tired of always being in pain. So -- I will offer my comments with great respect and with empathy for people such as Mohez and many others who have suffered with PF far longer than I.

1. I wish Mohez and all the Ossotron patients wonderful and 100% success, and I personally don't give a hoot WHO pays for their procedures. I hope they are CURED. However, I think part of the issue on this board was and is disclosure. I for one didn't realize, reading all of Mohez' weekly posts, that his treatment was paid for by the treatment sponsors. Does it make a difference? Not to me personally since I am not now considering Ossotron for treatment, but it might if I WERE considering Ossotron, yes. So my recommendation would be simply this: If you're undergoing any type of new or potentially controversial or hot treatment, and if you're going to post the results -- simply indicate if the sponsors of the treatment or some other body has paid for it on your behalf, or if you have been 'favored' in any way for trying something. Every reader of this board is an adult. Everyone can weigh the evidence for him or herself and make up his or her mind like an adult. How much or how little you trust individuals' opinions of treatment and treatment approaches is up to you and you alone, as an adult. Use your own skills -- discernment, judgment, investigation, evaluation -- and make up your own mind. But don't blame other people for the actions THEY have chosen to take.

2. This board is getting a little snipey. I'm not running John W's fan club and I'm not waving any Ossotron banner either -- but I am getting weary of seeing John W. and Ossotron patients get jumped and clobbered with snide and curt remarks every time they post. We all know and understand John W's affiliation. He hasn't kept it a secret -- and frankly, I don't think John has posted anything that's not in keeping with the professional interests he represents. It seems to me that if Scott is comfortable with the nature of John's posts, then perhaps we should all let it be. If you don't feel that Ossotron is worthy of your consideration or you don't trust the results that are currently being achieved as representative of long-term results, that's your choice. Voice an opinion that indicates that you are skeptical or you woder about long-term effects. But I don't think John W. or Ossotron patients need to be chided every time they post here. Again, use your personal judgment skills to sort through what's on this board and make your own decisions for your own future.

3. I've been on this board for a long time. A few of you 'veterans' were my only understanding friends for many of my early months. There were LONG stretches of time when I would visit this board every day, two or three times a day, not so much hoping for a quick fix -- but more to be in the company of people who understood my pain, my fear, my dilemma -- because no one immediately around me did. Then one day I posted some cautionary remarks about exteme low-carb diets, and I got the daylights kicked out of me by low-carb devotees and leaky-gut advocates. (I should insert here, I myself follow a moderately low-carb diet myself and it has been very beneficial. I was simply saying, 'exercise caution and do your homework before you try something radical.) Believe me, my tendency was to back off for several weeks, because my life is already too full without getting into Internet-based fights with a bunch of people I don't even know.

I don't come here for abuse -- so I presume that no one else does either. I presume we can all voice our individual opinions about what we THINK will work and why, and what we recommend from our own experiences -- without getting blasted, jibed, sniped at or torn apart for it. The sarcasm, the snipiness, the caustic comments, the aggressive behavior make this an increasingly unappealing place to visit -- when it should be, and for me personally it HAS been, just the opposite.

I DO understand the pain that causes anger and frustration and venting. This isn't the place to discharge it. This is where you should come first for information, secondly for a friendly arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back.

Re: Tolerance, moderation and Ossotron/Mohez/John W debate (long)

Marti C on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013062)

Thank YOU Robin! Iam fairly new to the board and the info. here has been a great help but the posts have started to turn into a place I dont want to be. Im thinking the main goal here is empathy and advice, not constant heated debates. I feel this will scare off the new people and thus they will be missing out on some really caring people and helpful advice. PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john h on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013081)

i am a regular on this board for the primary reason of receving information. anykind of information, which is my responsibility to judge and apply to myself if i so deem. i recognize that there are no experts on this board, just fellow sufferers. there is comfort in knowing you are not alone. i do not care if Mohez got his treatment paid for by the devil. i just want his information as to how he is doing. john w, in my opinion, is interested in finding something that will cure us all and if it makes him rich that is the american way. i have corresponded with some very neat people on this board who have enriched my life in little ways and i only wish i could meet them in person. Pf is controversial in itself and it's treatment is more so.

Marti C on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013062)

Thank YOU Robin! Iam fairly new to the board and the info. here has been a great help but the posts have started to turn into a place I dont want to be. Im thinking the main goal here is empathy and advice, not constant heated debates. I feel this will scare off the new people and thus they will be missing out on some really caring people and helpful advice. PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john h on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013081)

i am a regular on this board for the primary reason of receving information. anykind of information, which is my responsibility to judge and apply to myself if i so deem. i recognize that there are no experts on this board, just fellow sufferers. there is comfort in knowing you are not alone. i do not care if Mohez got his treatment paid for by the devil. i just want his information as to how he is doing. john w, in my opinion, is interested in finding something that will cure us all and if it makes him rich that is the american way. i have corresponded with some very neat people on this board who have enriched my life in little ways and i only wish i could meet them in person. Pf is controversial in itself and it's treatment is more so.