Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Robin B.--How did your PF improve?

Posted by Sue B. on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013075)

You said that you were getting better. What did you do? What kind of pain did you start with? You were just kidding about the pain pills, right?

Sue B.

Re: Robin B.--How did your PF improve?

Robin B. on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013080)

Hi Sue. Don't know who wrote the pain killer message. It wasn't me. And I'm not real amused by it. PF is absolutely nothing to joke about and I resent people posting under my name. I frequent other boards where messages get eliminated. I wish Scott would eliminate that one.

Anyway, what has worked for me is a collection of stuff that doesn't appear to help all that many people -- but for what it's worth:

1) Birks, all the time. I'm a big believer in finding SOME shoes, ANY shoes, that work for an individual so she can then concentrate on identifying other treatment without being in excrutiating pain. For me, it's Birks. For other, Naots, Mephistos, New Balance.

2) Bromelain, steadily, 3 or 4 times a day on an empty or half empty stomach. I take a lot of it -- 500 mgs per cap, 600 gdus (gel dissolving units I think) per caps. So I take 3 or 4 caps a day and that's a heavy dose. But it definitely kicked in for me after about 7-10 days, and so far I have noticed no ill effects. I have been taking it for 4 months.

3) Aerobic exercise, at least once a day, preferably twice. I try to ride my stationery bike, which I really hate, every morning and every night. I am convinced aerobic exercise and increased flow of oxygen is important, for me anyway. If I miss a day or more, I can feel the difference.

4) BORING BORING diet. No flour, no wheat, no sugar, no junky gooey snacks (I do cheat a wee bit but I try to keep it contained), no caffeine, no excess sodium (gave up diet soda too). I do eat fruit so I'm not strictly a good low-carb person, but I try to limit my carbs to vegetables and fruits. I was fairly low-carb for a long time, but I did have more than I should of whole wheat products. When I gave up wheat related products altogether, I saw a difference fairly fast. Life is boring with bread, rice, pasta. I don't eat red meat -- so I'm down to fish and chicken, fruit and vegetables. Truth is -- I'd eat nothing but straw if it would cure my feet.

Stretching hasn't worked well for me. Taping hasn't worked well for me. Heat hasn't work for me either. I have tried New Balance, Avias, Rockports, Spenco inserts, moderate massage (didn't seem to help). I spent many months on glucosamine sulfate and wasn't too thrilled. MSM didn't do much either. I am hoping I have found the right combination now. I CAN say that I spent about 6 hours standing and walking last Saturday, another 2 or 3 hours standing and walking on Sunday -- and didn't have any more pain on Monday because of it. For me, I'm thrilled to pieces and thanking God every night for my good fortune. Not cured yet, but I hope I am on the right path.

Like Gordon said in this thread, I think it's real important not to repeat the behaviors that may have contributed to PF in the first place -- so I am really trying to watch myself, not overdo things, still not go barefoot (even though I feel like I can) and monitor myself regularly with diet, exercise and bromelain. Sue -- good luck. Hope you get some relief soon. (Even some is a major blessing, right?)

Re: Robin B.--How did your PF improve?

Robin B. on 11/23/99 at 00:00 (013080)

Hi Sue. Don't know who wrote the pain killer message. It wasn't me. And I'm not real amused by it. PF is absolutely nothing to joke about and I resent people posting under my name. I frequent other boards where messages get eliminated. I wish Scott would eliminate that one.

Anyway, what has worked for me is a collection of stuff that doesn't appear to help all that many people -- but for what it's worth:

1) Birks, all the time. I'm a big believer in finding SOME shoes, ANY shoes, that work for an individual so she can then concentrate on identifying other treatment without being in excrutiating pain. For me, it's Birks. For other, Naots, Mephistos, New Balance.

2) Bromelain, steadily, 3 or 4 times a day on an empty or half empty stomach. I take a lot of it -- 500 mgs per cap, 600 gdus (gel dissolving units I think) per caps. So I take 3 or 4 caps a day and that's a heavy dose. But it definitely kicked in for me after about 7-10 days, and so far I have noticed no ill effects. I have been taking it for 4 months.

3) Aerobic exercise, at least once a day, preferably twice. I try to ride my stationery bike, which I really hate, every morning and every night. I am convinced aerobic exercise and increased flow of oxygen is important, for me anyway. If I miss a day or more, I can feel the difference.

4) BORING BORING diet. No flour, no wheat, no sugar, no junky gooey snacks (I do cheat a wee bit but I try to keep it contained), no caffeine, no excess sodium (gave up diet soda too). I do eat fruit so I'm not strictly a good low-carb person, but I try to limit my carbs to vegetables and fruits. I was fairly low-carb for a long time, but I did have more than I should of whole wheat products. When I gave up wheat related products altogether, I saw a difference fairly fast. Life is boring with bread, rice, pasta. I don't eat red meat -- so I'm down to fish and chicken, fruit and vegetables. Truth is -- I'd eat nothing but straw if it would cure my feet.

Stretching hasn't worked well for me. Taping hasn't worked well for me. Heat hasn't work for me either. I have tried New Balance, Avias, Rockports, Spenco inserts, moderate massage (didn't seem to help). I spent many months on glucosamine sulfate and wasn't too thrilled. MSM didn't do much either. I am hoping I have found the right combination now. I CAN say that I spent about 6 hours standing and walking last Saturday, another 2 or 3 hours standing and walking on Sunday -- and didn't have any more pain on Monday because of it. For me, I'm thrilled to pieces and thanking God every night for my good fortune. Not cured yet, but I hope I am on the right path.

Like Gordon said in this thread, I think it's real important not to repeat the behaviors that may have contributed to PF in the first place -- so I am really trying to watch myself, not overdo things, still not go barefoot (even though I feel like I can) and monitor myself regularly with diet, exercise and bromelain. Sue -- good luck. Hope you get some relief soon. (Even some is a major blessing, right?)