Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping?

Posted by Elise M. on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013142)

Hi Everyone,
Would someone please explain ' taping' to me....It's one thing that I haven't tried and at this point, I'm willing to try anything. Any info you have will surely be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Taping?

Karen K on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013143)

Taping is when you actually wrap fabric tape around your foot in a special way to support your foot/feet. You really need a physical therapist to do it on your feet first (it's kinda tricky) and they can teach you how to do it to yourself if it is helping.
Good Luck!

wendyn on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013148)

My podiatrist taped my feet a few times when I had PF - the relief for me was fantastic. They tried again when I developed TTS, but the taping drove me nuts and I pulled it off within the hour.

If you are suffering from PF, and your feet are taped properly it just supports your arch and seems to take some of the pressure off. Certainly worth a try.

John V on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013149)

I have continued to play basketball in spite of pretty debilitating PF in my left foot (I can't help it--it's an addiction). Taping heavily allows me to get through one or two league games a week and still be able to walk, more or less, the next day. Scott give pretty good taping instructions in his main article (you can click on the article at the top of the message board page, then scroll down to where he talks about taping). Incidentally, the tip that someone posted about rubbing your feet with Maalox before taping--that actually works; it prevents the tape from peeling off your skin when you remove the tape. Thanks to whoever posted that.

Scott R on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013153)

Thanks about reminding me of the maalox hint. I don't know how I missed the previous post on that. I'll add it to the main document.

Rick R on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013194)

Elise,

Taping made a huge difference for me. I started to tape up long before I found doctor that understood the relationship between PF and arch support. I have been taped by the doctor but they can't come close to what I do for myself. As noted in a previous post, taping will cause discomfort. You need to be prepared to accept that trade off. It takes weeks to toughen up but you may get your life back in return. I use a gauze around my ankle first. For expedience sake I have substituted paper towels for gauze; 3 in a row make it around my ankle and foot. Next I tape from under the arch around the foot under the arch, around the ankle and then 3 - 4 times around the arch near the heel but not directly on it. This is similar to how a sprained ankle is taped. Be careful not to go tightly around the ankle but do go tightly under the arch and around the foot. I cannot get tight enough with the white athletic tape. I tape so tight that I occasionally break the tape. Only you can find the right tension for you. I use the strongest duct tape I can buy (11 mil from Home Depot). To minimize the skin irritation vasaline or better yet bag balm can be applied on the irritated spots (you will find them after taping the first time) prior to the gauze. A word of caution, if you tape on a regular basis as I did for the better part of a decade, you will limit the motion of your ankle/s so stretching prior to and after taping becomes essential to avoid shortening the tendon. I strongly recommend the use of orthotics or other arch support in conjunction with the taping. Let me know if you give it a try. Good luck.

Stu B on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013196)

Hi Rick, I have high arches and find that I too break tape. I now use a strip of strong material taped between ball and heel. The tape is applied along it and it ends up looking a little like a flat bow string. This is not only very strong, it is reuasble which saves on tape. Do you tape right around your ankle?
Hope the pain is not too bad today.

Rick R on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013203)

Hi Stu,

Yep, I go around the ankles primarily to keep the entire mess in place. The wrap around the ankle can't be too tight or else I mess up the achilles. The tight wrapping is radialy around the foot near the arch. I avoid going too near the front of the foot where squeezing the meditatsals together causes problems. Sounds like you tape longitudinally similar to Scotts description. Does your material act like an arch support? For running I go with the tape and then wrap in a rubber arch support in place with an ace bandage. I also have some gel heel pads that I manage to wrap in the entire mess. I do believe more in the arch support than the heel pads and only use the pads in case I inadvertantly place pressure on the heels which I generaly avoid like the plague. I must admit it takes a bit of dexterity to manage this assembly proceedure. Good luck!

bjc on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013266)

Taping by the podiatrist really felt good. As an alternative, I purchased an ankle support band which I wear over socks. This is almost as good, can be worn every day, without the problems associated with tape. Be careful it is not too tight, as you can compromise circulation leading to tingling toes. Along with my orthotics, heat and stretching, this has been helpful.

Karen K on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013143)

Taping is when you actually wrap fabric tape around your foot in a special way to support your foot/feet. You really need a physical therapist to do it on your feet first (it's kinda tricky) and they can teach you how to do it to yourself if it is helping.
Good Luck!

wendyn on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013148)

My podiatrist taped my feet a few times when I had PF - the relief for me was fantastic. They tried again when I developed TTS, but the taping drove me nuts and I pulled it off within the hour.

If you are suffering from PF, and your feet are taped properly it just supports your arch and seems to take some of the pressure off. Certainly worth a try.

John V on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013149)

I have continued to play basketball in spite of pretty debilitating PF in my left foot (I can't help it--it's an addiction). Taping heavily allows me to get through one or two league games a week and still be able to walk, more or less, the next day. Scott give pretty good taping instructions in his main article (you can click on the article at the top of the message board page, then scroll down to where he talks about taping). Incidentally, the tip that someone posted about rubbing your feet with Maalox before taping--that actually works; it prevents the tape from peeling off your skin when you remove the tape. Thanks to whoever posted that.

Scott R on 11/26/99 at 00:00 (013153)

Thanks about reminding me of the maalox hint. I don't know how I missed the previous post on that. I'll add it to the main document.

Rick R on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013194)

Elise,

Taping made a huge difference for me. I started to tape up long before I found doctor that understood the relationship between PF and arch support. I have been taped by the doctor but they can't come close to what I do for myself. As noted in a previous post, taping will cause discomfort. You need to be prepared to accept that trade off. It takes weeks to toughen up but you may get your life back in return. I use a gauze around my ankle first. For expedience sake I have substituted paper towels for gauze; 3 in a row make it around my ankle and foot. Next I tape from under the arch around the foot under the arch, around the ankle and then 3 - 4 times around the arch near the heel but not directly on it. This is similar to how a sprained ankle is taped. Be careful not to go tightly around the ankle but do go tightly under the arch and around the foot. I cannot get tight enough with the white athletic tape. I tape so tight that I occasionally break the tape. Only you can find the right tension for you. I use the strongest duct tape I can buy (11 mil from Home Depot). To minimize the skin irritation vasaline or better yet bag balm can be applied on the irritated spots (you will find them after taping the first time) prior to the gauze. A word of caution, if you tape on a regular basis as I did for the better part of a decade, you will limit the motion of your ankle/s so stretching prior to and after taping becomes essential to avoid shortening the tendon. I strongly recommend the use of orthotics or other arch support in conjunction with the taping. Let me know if you give it a try. Good luck.

Stu B on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013196)

Hi Rick, I have high arches and find that I too break tape. I now use a strip of strong material taped between ball and heel. The tape is applied along it and it ends up looking a little like a flat bow string. This is not only very strong, it is reuasble which saves on tape. Do you tape right around your ankle?
Hope the pain is not too bad today.

Rick R on 11/29/99 at 00:00 (013203)

Hi Stu,

Yep, I go around the ankles primarily to keep the entire mess in place. The wrap around the ankle can't be too tight or else I mess up the achilles. The tight wrapping is radialy around the foot near the arch. I avoid going too near the front of the foot where squeezing the meditatsals together causes problems. Sounds like you tape longitudinally similar to Scotts description. Does your material act like an arch support? For running I go with the tape and then wrap in a rubber arch support in place with an ace bandage. I also have some gel heel pads that I manage to wrap in the entire mess. I do believe more in the arch support than the heel pads and only use the pads in case I inadvertantly place pressure on the heels which I generaly avoid like the plague. I must admit it takes a bit of dexterity to manage this assembly proceedure. Good luck!

bjc on 12/01/99 at 00:00 (013266)

Taping by the podiatrist really felt good. As an alternative, I purchased an ankle support band which I wear over socks. This is almost as good, can be worn every day, without the problems associated with tape. Be careful it is not too tight, as you can compromise circulation leading to tingling toes. Along with my orthotics, heat and stretching, this has been helpful.